Eyefinity Owners: Landscape or Portrait?

What mode do you run your Eyefinity setup?

• Total voters
I built myself a custom desk so I could run landscape :p I prefer the additional horizontal viewing landscape offers.

My monitors are in the mail, I'm going to try to cram them in there for landscape and see how it goes. I'll report back in 2 weeks when I finally decide.

the ability to switch between both, depending on the game/my current mood :)

That's unexpected, tied at 50%/50%. I'd expect more people to be running landscape :)

I see a lot of people have been ninja-voting :p If you would write a little bit about why you like a particular configuration, that'd be great!

Landscape, because human eyes are designed to see more horizontally than vertically.

Single big quality monitor still wins the day for me. I decided the monitor bezels ruined the effect back in the Matrox Parhelia days.

Here you go!

Single 43" NEC wrap around monitor - no bezzels 4 seamless panels with a resolution of 2,880 by 900. 12 bit color spectrum and .02 ms response.

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20090604/nec-crv43-monitor/

If it wasn't priced to the moon I'd definately be interested in one of those

Last edited:
landscape because if i used portrait id just get a 30"

Portrait when you can use 5 in eyefinity

I don't have the room for 3xlandscape so I would go with 3xportrait for practicality issues. Those with more desk space might choose differently.

Landscape, impossible to do portrait because I cannot pivot my monitors (using CRT).
While I'm doing something else than playing, I also have neck workout :D :D :D
Like in tennis :D :D

Single big quality monitor still wins the day for me. I decided the monitor bezels ruined the effect back in the Matrox Parhelia days.

Here you go!

Single 43" NEC wrap around monitor - no bezzels 4 seamless panels with a resolution of 2,880 by 900. 12 bit color spectrum and .02 ms response.

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20090604/nec-crv43-monitor/

If it wasn't priced to the moon I'd definately be interested in one of those

I'm debating a move from a single 30" to a 3x landscape 24" setup in Eyefinity, but I'd have to demo one before I actually bought because frankly, the bezel issue still looks huge even focusing on just the center monitor in videos and trying to let the sides do my peripheral/off-center vision.

It really depends on what you're playing. I'm hoping to get some wall mounts that will let me easily switch between the two. For racing games, and some flight sims, the landscape is ideal. For FPS the aspect ratio of portrait is a better fit since most games don't handle huge FOV's very well.

Yes, but eyefinity without bigger FOV is useless. Why have 3 monitors pivoted when you can have one 30 inch monitor? Bigger screen than 30 inch really isn't the goal of eyefinity for gaming. For that purpose I use my LCD TV, capable of 1920x1080 at 100Hz, perfectly enough for gaming with same FOV as my 17 inch monitor. The main thing is that it's a much better experience while gaming on 3 17inch CRTs, so I assume that it is much better and greater experience with 2 23inch LCD monitors. Also, bezel is no problem, I don't even notice it after a few minutes of playing.

1 x 30" @2560*1600 (landscapte) + 2 x 20" @ 1600*1200 (portrait) seem to be the best of both world... Who agrees?

1 x 30" @2560*1600 (landscapte) + 2 x 20" @ 1600*1200 (portrait) seem to be the best of both world... Who agrees?

The resolutions would match up nicely - but those 20" monitors in portrait mode next to the enormous 30 inch monitor might make you just wonder why you even bothered.

3x24" portrait works for me, but really it all depends on the application or workload you use it..

4241123049_de0691bff2_b.jpg

Yes, but eyefinity without bigger FOV is useless. Why have 3 monitors pivoted when you can have one 30 inch monitor? Bigger screen than 30 inch really isn't the goal of eyefinity for gaming. For that purpose I use my LCD TV, capable of 1920x1080 at 100Hz, perfectly enough for gaming with same FOV as my 17 inch monitor. The main thing is that it's a much better experience while gaming on 3 17inch CRTs, so I assume that it is much better and greater experience with 2 23inch LCD monitors. Also, bezel is no problem, I don't even notice it after a few minutes of playing.
3x24" Eyefinity has a much higher resolution (3600x1920) than a 30" (2560x1600) or a TV (1920x1080). It's just not the same kind of experience.

3x24" portrait works for me, but really it all depends on the application or workload you use it..

Very nice! Here's mine:

For a game that supposedly has native Eyefinity support, Dragon Age is in dire need of a UI scale slider. I use Landscape but the UI elements are shoved away in the corners and feel absolutely tiny.

I think for any publisher to fly the 'Eyefinity support' flag they should have the UI appear in the centre screen, or have an option to place the UI yourself or resize it. The Source games particularly need a central UI.

EDIT: Dirt2 and Burnout Paradise are shining examples. Particularly the latter, which gives you options on exactly how your three displays and the UI relate.

I was misunderstood, obviously. I was trying to emphasize meaning of landscape setup versus portrait setup. The comparison of lcd-tv, 30 inch monitor and a portrait setup was an attempt of oxplaining where my logic comes from. I will clarify my thoughts.

3x24" Eyefinity has a much higher resolution (3600x1920) than a 30" (2560x1600) or a TV (1920x1080). It's just not the same kind of experience.

There is no great difference between those resolutions in aspect ratio, just in pixel-count. Ratios are these: 1,875 1,6 1,777777778, so close that I think that they are the same thing 16:9.

The use of eyefinity in portrait setup clearly means ONLY higher pixel-count, nothing else. Landscape, on the other hand, offers three times bigger FOV. If you mess with FOV in portrait, you just mess up the game, because portrait is 16:9 aspect ratio.
This is why I prefer landscape setup. For example: we are driving next to each other in Dirt II. I see you next to me trying to overtake you, but you only see the road until it's too late. Big difference, but, as I always say, to each his own. I'm just pointing out the facts.
If I had the money, I would get 5870 6 dp version and put 5 lcd-s in portrait mode, then I would get the most of both worlds :D, but that's only my dream :D

The Source games particularly need a central UI.

Widescreen Gaming Forum has some links for fixed HUDs for Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 and Team Fortress 2. I tried the L4D2 and TF2 and they worked great.

There is no great difference between those resolutions in aspect ratio, just in pixel-count. Ratios are these: 1,875 1,6 1,777777778, so close that I think that they are the same thing 16:9.
If we really want to get technical those aspect ratios are actually 15:8, 16:10, and 16:9 respectively. But yes, they're all relatively close to typical "widescreen".

I own 3x P2310Hs and prefer them in landscape. Couldn't see the point of portrait other then a waste of my time mounting and unmounting my monitors :p

If we really want to get technical those aspect ratios are actually 15:8, 16:10, and 16:9 respectively. But yes, they're all relatively close to typical "widescreen".

If you want to get technical both are correct, you're describing the ratio as a fraction, like 16:10, he's describing it as a decimal number, ie. 1.6 (or some countries use 1,6). ;)

I would want a 1 x 1920*1200 + 2 x 1600*1200 setup but Eyefinity do not currently support monitors with different resolutions.

I still have to give landscape a more extensive try....if Borderlands actually functioned in landscape, I definitely would.

That said Portrait and Company of Heroes with a camera hack to increase FoV is very very cool.

Back