• Eyefinity

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • One big ass monitor

Votes: 59 68.6%

• Total voters

Deltief

Limp Gawd
Eyefinity or one big ass monitor?
Which do you prefer? and a reason or ten why.
Please reply only if you have real hands on experience with each option, thanks.

Last edited:
It is all about Image Quality. "Big Ass Monitors," (30" 2500x1600 IPS)" all use aggressive color dulling anti-glare coating and have medicore contrast (grey blacks+dull images), high input lag (if you don't want a wildely inaccurate Wide Gamut Display or one without a resolution scaler) while the "best," monitor for Eyefinity (Dell U2311H) has horrible quality control, aggressive AG coating, but good contrast/blacks.

If you have the money get yourself a Plasma TV (amazing color/contrast, no ghosting or input lag +3D) like the Panny VT/ST/GT30's (Reviewed here by HDTV test UK) rather than having to exchange your eyefinity monitors multiple times before getting one w/o backlight bleeding+tinting or looking at a large high res, but dull and lifeless picture (QC issues apply to these as well, despite their 1000$+ price tags). Burn in really isn't an issue unless you are going to leave these on 24/7 with a static image.

If you don't mind Glossy displays (Vibrant colors, clearer image and text) you may want to check out the Reviews of the 27" 1440p Hazro LCD's by TFT Central.

Last edited:
Or if your balls are over 9000, buy three U2311H's or P24W-6's or something similar and soak the panels in wet towels to remove the AG coating.

Still happy with my 4 year old 37" 1080p Westy. If someone made a 37-42" 1600p screen I'd be all over it though.

Having had three 24" monitors in eyefinity, and now one bigass 30" monitor, without a doubt the bigass monitor reigns supreme.

No more graphical glitches, problems with profile switching, huge fishbowl distortion on most titles, and HUDs that are so far out on the outside monitors as to render the game completely unplayable. Plus, watching movies/vids doesn't work spanning multiple monitors. And for multitasking, W7 has built in corner dragging to split the 30" screen in two w/ sufficient resolution on the Dell U3011 to not really be an issue.

A pair of portrait monitors on the side wouldn't hurt, but that won't work in eyefaility anyway.

I had a triple head setup for a while.

My summary:
Great for racing games
Some titles like Mafia 2 and Metro 2033 were more enjoyable in th than with a single monitor
Most games simply are not improved at all by having th
Also, Nvidia's Surround is better than Eyefinity. Why? The setup is more intuitive. And if you're working with two video cards (kind of necessary when pushing that many pixels), ATI sucks for crossfire profiles.

I have three 2007FP's in portrait for eyefinity and one single 3008WFP; I game mainly on the single because its that much better. And I would go the opposite in saying that AMD/ATI = win for multiple monitors opposed to Nvidia (I went from tri-sli 285's to xfire 6970's i'm very familiar with both camps).

I had 3x VW266H's in portrait mode and just swapped them out for a 305t+

WAF on the eyefinity was low, and I'm moving so wanted a simpler setup :)

Depends on what you use them for. and which monitors you will use. EG 3 24" TN panels vs 1 30" xIPS Panel, I'd take the 30" etc.

Productivity: 3 Monitors
Games: 3 Monitors
Movies / TV : 1 monitor

Still happy with my 4 year old 37" 1080p Westy. If someone made a 37-42" 1600p screen I'd be all over it though.

Same here

There is nothing like playing on a bigass screen. Of course were it not for all the people who came before me in that huge thread on the Westy I would never have taken the risk.

Many of the big screens make terrible monitors....The Westy W3 happens to make a fine monitor.

If they put out a higher rez screen in the 32" to 37" range I would be all over it...As much as I like eyefinity I hate bezels.

Well, I'd take Eyefinity over 1 huge ass monitor any day. Of course now I have 3 huge ass monitors and going for 5. So... My recommendation is to go for 3x24"rs or even 27"rs if you have the money. i-inc / hannspree / hanns g have some decent enough 27.5"rs that are relatively cheap.

Last edited:
Wow, i was expecting to see much more support for eyefinity, I personally love it, oh well.

for me the bigass monitor (hi res) always better.

I had 3x 20" portrait (3600x1600) and now with a 30" (2560x1600), the difference is huge!
And a single monitor is always better supported, plug it and ready. Problem is the money...

well one big ass monitor doesn't let you actually see more. It just gives you a larger image.

My moneys on eyefinity but not all games (or even most) support it. So it's not right for every one. Playing bc2 on my 55" lcd or my eyefinity setup, eyefinity wins every time. Don't forget you will also need to invest in 3 times the gpu power to run your games smooth. If you don't have money to burn I'd stay away from eyefinty. My poor tri-fire setup already struggles and could max any single screen game for years to come.

I voted for "one big ass monitor"... size & resolution count for a lot... 2560x1600 is just awesome as is the s-ips panel on my Dell 3007WFP-HC.

I just ordered an Acer HN274H refurb for a good price (taxed unfortunately) that is supposed to include everything (3d glasses, etc.) so I'll see whether the 120hz hype is really worth the trade-off on color quality and resolution for me for my main rig. I'm skeptical but there are a lot of people swearing by it, so I'm going to give it a shot... 120hz 1920x1080 27" panel, with 3d glasses for singleplayer on some games could be very interesting :D.

i've had 3xu2410, u3011, and zr30w now. for me, it's just easier to deal with one monitor than maintaining 3. everyone has different needs so get what will fit for you. I didn't like eyefinity and having my monitors being mostly idle when not gaming. I just have a 2007fp on the side for any multitasking job. Either way you go I don't think you would be disappointed :D

It really depends on the type of games you play most.

Eyefinity/surround benefits FPS, racing, sims, MMOs & adventure games.

If you prefer RTS and or Dota style games, then one large monitor would be better.

wait... change my vote.

BOTH!

one computer setup with eyefinity. (22-24" eyefinity setup)
One computer setup with a 30" LCD.

Or, one setup with 3x30" lcds. Turn off other 2 for games that don't work well in eyefinity.

yeah i didn't vote on this one as each has their pro's & con's

big arse monitor is almost the complete solution tho. personally on my 30" (samsung 305t+) gaming is great on a single monitor. however my 2nd 24" is great for productivity (i work from home). most of the time i just run my 30 and when busy i enable my 24.

Eyefinity. Seriously people you don't even notice the bezels when playing and if you take the case off the monitor the bezels are even thinner.

It really depends on the type of games you play most.

Eyefinity/surround benefits FPS, racing, sims, MMOs & adventure games.

If you prefer RTS and or Dota style games, then one large monitor would be better.

Productivity: 3 Monitors
Games: 3 Monitors
Movies / TV : 1 monitor

True. Even if I didn't game across three, I couldn't live without at least 3 monitors of real-estate.

One monitor is not enough for general productivity. I'm constantly working in CAD, Excel, Word, Ansys, Coding, etc.

Eyefinity. Seriously people you don't even notice the bezels when playing and if you take the case off the monitor the bezels are even thinner.

I would notice the bezels. But more importantly I would notice the projection distortion on the side monitors. That would drive me crazy. Most computer graphics engines do not render viewports using a cylindrical or spherical projection, but instead a cubic one, which is computationally easier but less realistic. It is impossible to accurately render a three dimensional scene on a flat surface, but perspective distortion can be reduced with different projections depending on the physical configuration of the display surface(s). If Eyefinity is to ever be taken seriously they need to work with game developers to implement alternative projection options so that perspective distortion doesn't make the side monitors essentially useless.

IMAG0105.jpg

I think you can tell how I voted :D

- Epson 8700UB on a 100" screen

Don't like multiple monitors myself. Have a 20" in portrait and leave it off 99% of the time.

Just distracting and power sucker. I like 27-30s where you can get two full pages side by side, then game in high def glory.

still searching for a decent 27-30 tho....They all have major problems IMO

I would notice the bezels. But more importantly I would notice the projection distortion on the side monitors. That would drive me crazy. Most computer graphics engines do not render viewports using a cylindrical or spherical projection, but instead a cubic one, which is computationally easier but less realistic. It is impossible to accurately render a three dimensional scene on a flat surface, but perspective distortion can be reduced with different projections depending on the physical configuration of the display surface(s). If Eyefinity is to ever be taken seriously they need to work with game developers to implement alternative projection options so that perspective distortion doesn't make the side monitors essentially useless.

Hi im 12 and wat is this....

I assume you're talking about the fisheye thing, with Portrait eyefinity there is very little fisheye effect. The only way to go imo.

IMAG0105.jpg

I think you can tell how I voted :D

- Epson 8700UB on a 100" screen

Hm, I should try hooking my PC up to my Epson 8100, I only have an 84" screen but I bet it looks fantastic!

Hi im 12 and wat is this....

I assume you're talking about the fisheye thing, with Portrait eyefinity there is very little fisheye effect. The only way to go imo.

May as well use a single 30" then... great resolution, no bezels, and proper aspect ratio.

Don't be a pussy. Get three big ass monitors. :D
EyefinityDesktop-1.jpg

Sniffle, I don't have enough space for three of these things (that's the 3007WFP-HC it looks like...), just have one right now :(.

I'm really thinking of hooking my main rig up to the projector, though.... it's a 1080p one that's damn good, I love playing MvC3 on it through the 360, playing full-res games from my PC would probably be awesome.

I voted 1 big ass monitor...although I'm not sure my FW900 fits that description.....

I briefly tried eyefinity and just didn't like it....

May as well use a single 30" then... great resolution, no bezels, and proper aspect ratio.

2560x1600 is huge but 3240x1920 is better. Not sure what the issue is in regards to the aspect ratio. Seriously guy's I've used a 30" 2560x1600 and eyefinity is better imo bezels and all. I also find eyefinity setups to be better money wise since quality high res screens cost a lot compared to multiple quality smaller screens.

Also you can take the casing off your monitors to lower the amount of bezel in between them.

edit: I also find a lot of that seem to dislike eyefinity have used landscape setups. Portrait setups are an entire different beast and don't have that stretched out look to them.

Sniffle, I don't have enough space for three of these things (that's the 3007WFP-HC it looks like...), just have one right now :(.

I'm really thinking of hooking my main rig up to the projector, though.... it's a 1080p one that's damn good, I love playing MvC3 on it through the 360, playing full-res games from my PC would probably be awesome.

Yes those are Dell 3007WFP-HC's.

Back