Eyefinity dual monitors and DVI splitter

kinghippo

n00b
Hello

I just bought another Korean 1440p monitor and a new graphics card for my pc and I'm having trouble getting both monitors to work. I bought the XFX R9 280 under the assumption that it had 2 dual-link DVI ports but that is not the case.

I was thinking about buying a DVI to HDMI cable, but I think these monitors are not compatible with the cables. The product page says

Please use DVI-D port only. may not used with DVI-I or DVI-S. Also may not be used by port converter. (D-sub, HDMI, DP) Specifications

I read on a forum that it was possible to use a dual-link DVI splitter and extend the display across both monitors with Eyefinity in the control panel. I thought that a splitter would only mirror the display and not extend the desktop across both displays.

Has anyone tried this before or know if it's even possible?

Thank you!

Thank you ToastyX but I am mostly a linux user. I will give your patch a try on windows for sure though. It will be nice to see both monitors working.

Hello

I just bought another Korean 1440p monitor and a new graphics card for my pc and I'm having trouble getting both monitors to work. I bought the XFX R9 280 under the assumption that it had 2 dual-link DVI ports but that is not the case.

I was thinking about buying a DVI to HDMI cable, but I think these monitors are not compatible with the cables. The product page says

I read on a forum that it was possible to use a dual-link DVI splitter and extend the display across both monitors with Eyefinity in the control panel. I thought that a splitter would only mirror the display and not extend the desktop across both displays.

Has anyone tried this before or know if it's even possible?

Thank you!

I have a 7850, and only the top dvi port is dual link. You *could* buy an active displayport to dvi adapter though (last time I checked they were expensive).

Back