Eyefinity Configuration Suggestions

Hi All.

I'm looking to setup a new home office with 2 Stations and 6 monitors.

Ideally Station #1 would be able to use all 6 Monitors, but if Station #1 and #2 were in use at the same time, 3 of the 6 monitors could slide over for the second person.

I've done the Eyefinity research for setting up Station #1 with 6 monitors, I'm just looking for some guidance on what Station #2 would need.

Would I be able to hook up all the Monitors via Display Port for Station #1, then 3 of them via DVI (Do they make 3 DVI Out Cards or I would need 2 DVI + 1 Display port & adapter?) for station #2 and just switch the input on those 3 monitors from Display Port to DVI when Station 2 is in use?

Or would it be better to get some kind of Display Port KVM/hub/Switching device, so the Monitors can be shared that way. (Any recommendations here?)

Also from the physical standpoint does anyone have a stand recommendation that would be able to swing 3 monitors over to another workstation? The closest I've found is this one http://www.tykesupply.com/Products_6_HEX_LCD_Monitor_Stand.html but I'm not entirely sure if the entire top row could swing 90-120 degrees and move down also.

Thanks for any help/guidance/clarification anyone can provide.

Would I be able to hook up all the Monitors via Display Port for Station #1, then 3 of them via DVI (Do they make 3 DVI Out Cards or I would need 2 DVI + 1 Display port & adapter?) for station #2 and just switch the input on those 3 monitors from Display Port to DVI when Station 2 is in use?

Currently I have three monitors connected to my HD 5870, two 30" LG W3000H (which only have a single DVI-D input) and one HP LP2475W, the first two connected via DVI-D and the latter via Displayport.

The HP has multiple input ports and is shared with another PC, which is connected to the DVI-D port on the monitor.

When I need to, I press the Quick Select button on the HP to switch the display between the two PCs (unfortunately the stupid thing is not automatic, I then still have to select the DVI-D or Displayport input). With three monitors, you would be looking at doing this operation manually for each of the monitors, so you might be better off with a KVM switch. Unfortunately I have zero experience with those, so I can't help you there.

I'm currently running Eyefinity with three Samsung 2343BWX-1 LCD panels. Desktop resolution is 6444x1152 with bezel correction turned on. Center display is running with an Accell DisplayPort to DVI active adapter. The adapter doesn't have a USB power connection to it, but still works. It will occasionally flicker and fritz out, but I suspect that the reason behind this is becuase that particular adapter was meant to handle a 1920x1080 diaplay, and mine is 2048x1152. That aside, it's working beautifully.

I have 3X20" at 4800X900. BFBC2 runs fine but the picture looks stretched and squashed. Especially for the side screens. What can I do to make it look more normal? Change the FOV?

Did you make sure you have the right resolution set in game options?

Sure. 4800X900. Also, my mouse randomly stops working in my center monitor. Also, the screens randomly change positions. The center will move to the right, the right to the left, etc. Really annoying. It works well for a while then goes screwy.

Hiya's,

I'm currently torn between a Samsung MD230x3, HP ZR24w (x3) for eyefinity use, or a Dell U3011 and ignore the eyefinity aspect. Any recomendations? (I don't have the space for a projector setup sadly)

I'm runing a Powercolor 5870 Eyefinity 6 - 2GB graphics card, Intel i930 cpu, 12 GB ram on a Gigabyte X58A-UD5 motherboard, The main use of the system would be gaming,blu-ray playback and normal office/browsing crap, I've no interest in 3D capability until there is a glasses free system that works.

The only actual review of the Samsung MD230x3 I've found slated it for its gaming display ability, is there anyone who actually owns one of these who could comment?

Thanks in advance

Tom

The Samsung setup is ridiculously unnecessary. Its sole advantage is bezel size, and bezels are honestly one of the least problematic aspects of Eyefinity/Surround once you experience it rather than just staring at it in pictures. Sure as hell wouldn't pay a $1000 total premium for mere 23" monitors.

Hmm.

DSCF1920.jpg

DSCF1911.jpg

I have 3X20" at 4800X900. BFBC2 runs fine but the picture looks stretched and squashed. Especially for the side screens. What can I do to make it look more normal? Change the FOV?

You have to edit the ini file manually. Google bc2 fov calculator for the page that helps you choose a fov value.

I want to venture into the world of eyefinity, but I don't want to spend more than 700 dollars..
what's the best setup i can get for that price?

Ive since added 3 x Ergotron LX desk mount articulating LCD arms. Pics to follow.

I had just ordered one of the sub-LX arms from Amazon, then I thought to check Craigslist. Found a guy down the road from my office that was selling 2 of the LXs and picked them up for $80 each. One's hooked up to my 25.5" Samsung T260HD and I'm torn between picking up a pair of 28" Hanns-G monitors or picking up 3 and another arm. :)

I have about 3k lying around for my next system's monitor setup.

I have a few options in mind but not quite sure which way to go.

The Eyefinity way, (3x1 landscape x30" HP )

The 3D Surround way (3x1 landscape x23" 120hz Ausus probably)

On the Eyefinity or 3D surround I am afraid the bezels will ruin my party.

Single 3D Monitor (apply rest of the money for my rig instead... Raid SSD?! Dual CPU?!)

Single 30'' (as above)

Any contribution or advice would be greatly apriciated.

Eyefinity/Surround with 3x30" in Portrait will be your best bet. Landscape is just way too wide, even with 25" monitors.

Forget about 3D Surround, it's simply broken in too many games due to some recent Nvidia driver hitch that renders the games in just 15 FPS. And you're stuck with small 23" TN panels if you want to go with 3D anyway.

Eyefinity/Surround with 3x30" in Portrait will be your best bet. Landscape is just way too wide, even with 25" monitors.

Forget about 3D Surround, it's simply broken in too many games due to some recent Nvidia driver hitch that renders the games in just 15 FPS. And you're stuck with small 23" TN panels if you want to go with 3D anyway.

Yeah, I see your point about 3D Surround, I really liked the
experience using discovery tough. So not being able to use it at all kinda bums me out. There won't be any 30" 120hz displays anytime soon? I plan to buy this after the X-max season, waiting on Bulldozer/Sandy and also to see what kind of punch the 69xx will bring to the table. Also the 32nm SSDs!

About the Portrait setup, won't that bring those bezels dangerously close to the center of the action?

I play a mix and match of FPS and MMO and some modest graphic editing, I can see the 3x1 Potrait working fine for the MMO Part as you don't really need a wide POV since you can control the camera.

But what about FPS the wider the POV the better? Does anyone have experience with this at all and could contribute thier experiences?

Yeah, I see your point about 3D Surround, I really liked the
experience using discovery tough. So not being able to use it at all kinda bums me out. There won't be any 30" 120hz displays anytime soon? I plan to buy this after the X-max season, waiting on Bulldozer/Sandy and also to see what kind of punch the 69xx will bring to the table. Also the 32nm SSDs!

About the Portrait setup, won't that bring those bezels dangerously close to the center of the action?

I play a mix and match of FPS and MMO and some modest graphic editing, I can see the 3x1 Potrait working fine for the MMO Part as you don't really need a wide POV since you can control the camera.

But what about FPS the wider the POV the better? Does anyone have experience with this at all and could contribute thier experiences?

Asus was touting a 27" 120hz display back in June, but it never materialized. Random rumors indicated some other manufacturer and/or Asus will bring out a 27" display early or mid next year.

One possible compromise for you might be to get one of those displays and flank it with two regular 27" displays. Maybe you could run the 120hz display at 60hz and use it in regular Surround with the two other displays, and then use it alone at 120hz in 3D mode when you want.

Now, I have no idea whether that is even possible, or whether/when these larger 120hz will actually materialize...so maybe get 3 regular 27" displays and sell one when the 27" 3D monitor does appear? That's all I can think of if you really like 3D.

As for the bezels, I don't know firsthand about 30"x3 portrait. Worst case scenario, you could flip to landscape if it really bothers you.

Hey guys I just purchased 3x23" eMachines E230H (http://www.staples.com/product_912726) for a cheap Eyefinity setup. Could you guys please tell me exactly what cables I would need to get my setup going from say monoprice? Basically I know I would need 3 DVI cables but im still shaky on what adaptor to get from monoprice to make that last monitor work with the displayport on my 5870? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

I use this vga to displayport adapter from newegg, it works with my eyefinity setup with any flicker. It is about $30 shipped and hasnt failed so far but sometimes I have to unplug the cable to get signal but it is worth it.

Link

I almost completed my eyefinity set up with 3 w2408h monitors, then one decided to crap out with vertical lines all over b4 I got my 3rd one. I am thinking of ditching them both and getting cheaper the 16:9 ~24" monitors with smaller bezels now. I am aware 16:10 is superior when it comes to viewing the web and working with documents, but is it really that much different with the "squished" 16:9 ratio? If anyone has experience going from 16:10 to 16:9 and has any input, that would be awesome.

I'm running a 3x30" setup. I had to get this DVI to displayport adapter since I needed a dual-link, active unit. I had zero issues getting this setup and working.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What is the least expensive portrait 3X setup?

I have 3 20" in landscape and yeah, not bad but i would prefer portrait mode.

I've been searching around the web and this forum for a day or so now. I was a noob because I didnt even realize what TN IPS etc were until now.

My first and only LCD' were dell 2005FPW x 2 I got 5 years ago or something. I am trying to set up eyefinity 6, have two different stand, and ended up purchasing some 24" AOC monitors, 5870 eyefinity 6, and all the proper cables (active dvi adapter, etc).

I set everything up and found out, the viewing angle SUCKS HORRIBLE. It is unusable unles im at least 6-8 feet back.

So now i know i need a monitor x 6 that has 178deg viewing angle.

Purpose of this setup will be for stock trading, playing 12-24 poker tables online, and messing around with some movies and games (though im not holding my breath because I cant afford large slim bezel samung S-IPS )

At this moment I need to go as cheap as possible without losing viewing angle.

Req:
Uniform bezels
Minimal lights/logos on front
21-24" screens
pref 1080p but not 100% sure if i need that with 6 monitors.
16:9? unless its better to go with something else
VESA mounting

Right now looking at U2311H but at ~249, would like some more options on pricing, especially if there is a lot of bleeding issues, id be juggling through returns on 6 monitors.

thanks in advance

Once you go with a 30" display nothing else will do except adding two more.

lol fair enough.

trust me i would do that, if one i had that much space to work with, second, the large bezels of the 30" displays would drive me nuts.

i'm currently using the Viewsonic 21.5inch monitor
ViewSonic VX2250wm-LED Black 21.5" 5ms Full HD LED...

and consider getting these for 3 monitor setup
2x Acer G215HAbd-1 Black 21.5" 5ms Widescreen LCD Mon...
or
2x Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD ...
or 2x same viewsonic monitors

I'm not an expert on eyefinity but is it easy to adjust screen brightness/contrast etc between the viewsonic & those monitors.

What do you guys recommend?

I'm running a 3x30" setup. I had to get this DVI to displayport adapter since I needed a dual-link, active unit. I had zero issues getting this setup and working.

Are you running those in portrait mode or landscape, Dan?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you running those in portrait mode or landscape, Dan?

Landscape. Even if I wanted to run them in portrait mode, I couldn't the way things are right now. The Dell 3007WFP-HC's don't rotate on their factory stands.

Landscape. Even if I wanted to run them in portrait mode, I couldn't the way things are right now. The Dell 3007WFP-HC's don't rotate on their factory stands.

How far back do you sit from them? Must be an awesome sight, though...

A bit beyond arms length. The display just fills up my complete peripheral vision. It is quite awesome to be sure.

Back