Eyefinity Configuration Suggestions

Hey, what's the input lag like on that setup? I've been looking at that thing for a while now, but there isn't a single review for it.

I will let you know when i get to take it out of the box, its a Christmas present. Although it does not have the fastest of response time from what I read its 8ms. Most gaming monitors have 2-3ms response time.

But really having a 2ms response time monitor is useless if the average joe has a response time of 14-16ms. So it might help a bit overall its not going to have a huge impact on your gaming. Biggest factor is the PC ping, which depending on your location and internet speed, will play a much larger factor in response time. So unless your on a LAN game, these So called gaming monitors are more of just marketing gimmick.

I will let you know when i get to take it out of the box, its a Christmas present. Although it does not have the fastest of response time from what I read its 8ms. Most gaming monitors have 2-3ms response time.

But really having a 2ms response time monitor is useless if the average joe has a response time of 14-16ms. So it might help a bit overall its not going to have a huge impact on your gaming. Biggest factor is the PC ping, which depending on your location and internet speed, will play a much larger factor in response time. So unless your on a LAN game, these So called gaming monitors are more of just marketing gimmick.

Yeah, my current monitor is on the fritz, and I think it's about 16ms, so I'm curious about how the MD230X3 performs.

I think I've read most if not all of this thread now but am late to the party. I have a question that I'm sure one of you can confirm. I watched Kyle's video review of the eyefinity setup found here http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/28/amds_ati_eyefinity_technology_review/ which states that most games at that time had trouble working in portrait mode. This was over a year ago though. I also found these links http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-software.aspx http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-soft-reqs-2010apr1.aspx showing what software has to ready to do in order to get the silver/gold certification.

Do most games work well in portrait now? At least the ones listed as gold in that second link. According to the 3rd link they should but wanted to make sure. I'm especially interested in dragon age.

I'm trying to decide which monitors to get for an eyefinity setup and whether to go portrait or landscape. What size monitors do you guys feel are necessary for an immersive game experience if doing portrait setup?

Right now I am using a westinghouse 37" monitor for my computer and know I would need to replace that as it wouldn't work well with other 1080p sets. I'm looking seriously at the Dell U2311H and and U2410. What other monitors should I consider around this size? I would like to go with an IPS screen since I'm seriously considering going portrait configuration. I'm a little afraid that going portrait with a 23" setup may not even be as wide across as the monitor I'm using now (just physically, not resolution) and therefore not super immersive. Does landscope or portrait seem more immersive for gaming?

No question "Landscape" you get your monies worth, Portrait not so much.

I have been switching back and forth between Landscape and Portrait since I got my Eyefinity setup going last Fall 2009, and I stick with Landscape 75% or more, most of the time. Your spending all this money on a high end VideoCard and two extra monitors for reason right ? To see more of the game world your playing. In Portrait you do NOT see anything extra than you would with a single 24" display. But Landscape gives you a massive, 2/3rds extra game world to see. Just no comparison.

Portrait is great for non gaming work for sure, but if your looking for the best game experience I have to say my triple Dell 27" Eyefinity sure does the job :cool:

IMG_20101226_225603.jpg

IMG_20101226_225051.jpg

is it possible to run 2x 20" monitors @ 1680x1050 with a 24" monitor @ 1900x1200 with a 5830?

I don't watch movies on my gaming machine either. I have an HTPC and a 52" DLP TV for that. However, if I did watch movies on my computer with an Eyefinity configuration I'd simply keep the movie play back confined to a single monitor. You can set things up in order to facilitate doing this.

For me, watching on one monitor vs. three would heavily depend on what movie I was watching. For 1.85:1 movies I would only use one screen, but for 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies I would definitely zoom the movie image so that the top and bottom fills the vertical height of the screens, and let the sides of the movie spill over to 16.5% to the left and 16% to the right of the center screen. That way you have no black bars on top and bottom of the image, and you get a MUCH larger image than single monitor.

You could also zoom a 2.35:1 image on a single 16:9 monitor so it fills the top and bottom but then you'd be cutting off 33% of the image. A triple monitor setup lets you do this without "missing" anything. The extra 33 percent is usually just for immersion factor, and cinematographers usually don't film too much important stuff in those areas. It would just be like eyefinity triple monitor gaming except not quite as wide.

I wholeheartedly agree of course, that a good plasma or local-dimming LCD or projector is always better for pure movie watching. But if I had to watch 2.35:1 movie on a 3 monitor setup, i would at least make use of it. Probably wouldn't do it with only 2 monitors though, for the same reasons people don't do many dual-monitor gaming setups.

I'm running a 3x30" setup. I had to get this DVI to displayport adapter since I needed a dual-link, active unit. I had zero issues getting this setup and working.

Have you had any issues with the monitor attached to that adapter not waking up from sleep? It seems to go full retard on me once a week requiring a reboot and a number of rounds of disable/enable.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you had any issues with the monitor attached to that adapter not waking up from sleep? It seems to go full retard on me once a week requiring a reboot and a number of rounds of disable/enable.

I'm not using that anymore since switching to GTX 580 SLI. However, I never really had problems with it. Then again I really never did use sleep mode or power saving features. I do have the system put the things to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity, but not the system. I never had any issues with that.

Hey, what's the input lag like on that setup? I've been looking at that thing for a while now, but there isn't a single review for it.

just got them setup today.

the response time is around 7-9ms. I noticed i was able to shave about .15 sec off my response time on average going from my 40" sharp 1080p Tv, to the Tri monitor setup. But my TV has a crappy response time, somewhere in the range of .20-.25 secs.

Its nice to have my desktop work space back. I used to have dual 19" monitors and missed that ever since i went to the big single screen. It trades blows in games, some games i definitely like the single big display better. Such as Fall Out New Vegas i just sit on my coach and play with my 360 controller. But games like Need for speed the eye efinity rocks, Black ops rocks. Overall i'm quite happy. But i have my 40" sitting in the closet for when i watch a blue-ray, or play pretty much anything that supports the 360 controller, vs mouse and keyboard. Games that you play wtih mouse and keyboard the 3 monitor setup is just insane.

I'm a few days away from finally making the move to 3 monitors. Was debating between a single 30inch with one of my old 26inches in secondary, or 3 brand new u23's from dell.

Think these will be perfect since I'm leaning towards portrait over landscape, but only practice will tell.

Hell, why not go 5x1 Portrait with all u3011's?

That would be fine if you had the money to spend on it and were OK with turning all the newer games down to medium or low settings on your Quad CrossfireX 6970 setup.

That just doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

That would be fine if you had the money to spend on it and were OK with turning all the newer games down to medium or low settings on your Quad CrossfireX 6970 setup.

That just doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

I kinda doubt that would take that much power. I run 3 x 30"rs on 1 5870 (2GB).

At that res, You don't need AA, The only thing that would have to be disabled or lowered is mipmap quality (textures) and HDAO (or any variant) and maybe bloom.

I kinda doubt that would take that much power. I run 3 x 30"rs on 1 5870 (2GB).

At that res, You don't need AA, The only thing that would have to be disabled or lowered is mipmap quality (textures) and HDAO (or any variant) and maybe bloom.

I disagree. At that resolution you still need AA. And more importantly a 5970 overclocked to 5870 speeds wasn't enough to max out a lot of games. Hell I still can't max out every game with dual GTX 580's.

I disagree. At that resolution you still need AA. And more importantly a 5970 overclocked to 5870 speeds wasn't enough to max out a lot of games. Hell I still can't max out every game with dual GTX 580's.

In a Hor+ game 4800x2560 and 8000x2560 will display the same crispness due to the same pixel height. I currently don't need any AA, hell i didn't need any AA when I ran 5400x1920. Jaggies are the thing that most pisses me off, so I know my AA.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about maxing out games. A few things lowered doesn't bother me. With games at 5760x1200 still not being able to be maxed out, why would I even suggest that. But getting games playable, is definitely possible and still look relatively pretty.

But I will put out there that anything less than 2GB of VRAM is asking to have a slide show in a lot of games. The sheer amount of resolution will take up a lot of VRAm.

I like to max out games whenever possible. That's just how I roll.

You guys make my wallet hurt :( There is a deal on Dell's ebay page (really hope it really is Dell) for a 2311h for $200 shipped. Finally pulled the trigger for that price and now I need to get an amd videocard to run them.

Anyone know if a single 5830, 8 gigs ddr3 1600, amd 955 black will do the job to run 3x Dell U2311H. Other than photoshop and Alias 2011, I play starcraft 2.

Yea I know sc2 wont work. I am fine playing on one monitor. I just want to know if a single 5830 can support eyefinity for multi tasking with my system specs.

It will probably be ok as long as your not gaming with high settings... i'm running 5850 black and 3 dell 24s and have been pretty unhappy with gaming honestly, i should have done more research and bought a better card.. however for most of my daily use it works perfectly.. so i would say go for a better card if youre a big gamer otherwise it will probably do fine

I've run eyefinity on quite a few different setups (3 x 23" or 2 x 23" + 52" center) at 1920 x 1080 on each display with a single 5770, a single 5870 and dual 5870's. The single 5870 gave me my first truly playable eyefinity setup. That and an SSD for the main drive. Throwing in the 2nd 5870 gave me back the performance I was getting on a single display with the 5770. I can now run lotro with everything on Ultra high, 4x AA (though there's a crossfirex/sli bug with dx11 water right now so I have that turned off) and I can run in the 60-100 fps range.
5118040942_d1f041315c_b.jpg

That sounds good. I don't game using all 3 monitors, just 1 for SC2. Hopefully I can still run on ultra settings. I get around 60fps on ultra/high settings atm @ 1680x1050.

lost- your setup looks good- but man that picture is grainy :D

Well this is my new setup:

Dual Asus 22 inch wide screens and one Asus 27 inch wide screen. To be honest, in game play you really do not notice the size difference. I am still trying to get used to three displays show the game instead of one though lol.

ea I know sc2 wont work. I am fine playing on one monitor. I just want to know if a single 5830 can support eyefinity for multi tasking with my system specs.

supreme commander 2 works just fine with eyefinity.

unless your talking about star crap 2

No eyefinity for SC2? I'm planning on going 3x1 soon (for productivity) as well as gaming. SC2 + L4D are about the only games I play :(

No eyefinity for SC2? I'm planning on going 3x1 soon (for productivity) as well as gaming. SC2 + L4D are about the only games I play :(

Nope. Starcraft 2 was designed with only one monitor in mind and they've got it set to where you can't zoom it out far enough to take advantage of larger, higher resolution displays. I recall reading that the developers made this choice to keep things "fair" for all players.

Nope. Starcraft 2 was designed with only one monitor in mind and they've got it set to where you can't zoom it out far enough to take advantage of larger, higher resolution displays. I recall reading that the developers made this choice to keep things "fair" for all players.

I did a little more digging and found something interesting... how do you explain this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09weu17yS_I

the guy is running SC2 at 5760x1080

I did a little more digging and found something interesting... how do you explain this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09weu17yS_I

the guy is running SC2 at 5760x1080

I don't have the game and haven't done any research on it. I just recall what I read in a thread here about it. In that thread, a few people said there were some single player hacks out there which allowed for FOV / Zoom changes. Perhaps one exists to run the game at Eyefinity / NV Surround settings? In any case I doubt it works online. Anyone who has this game and has made it work like that, feel free to chime in.

This is my setup. Dell p2310h x3 powered by Ati 5850. Viewing angles are not a problem and sparkles only show up in portrait mode. Recommended if you can find one of these monitors nowadays at a good price!
img0661y.jpg

img0663hj.jpg

nice setup

That's why I won't buy Starcraft 2. The zoom on it doesn't go out far enough and the thing doesn't support Eyefinity / Surround resolutions. It's not 1999 anymore. Developers need to get with the times.

Well it has to do with making sure no-one has extra competitive advantage. Since the game has a huge following they want to please the 99% of the masses not the 1% of customers who have eyefinity setups.

Hi guys. I am pondering moving from my Dell 3007WFP-HC to a 3xU2311H setup, and purchasing a 6970 to power them.

Couple questions:

1) is 23'' a bad idea because I would be using 16:9 instead of 16:10, and it seems that the latter is the preferred ratio
2) is the 6970 enough to power them?
3) i would prefer to stick with Dell since I have a line of credit with them, but if there are significantly better options at 23'' or even 24'', I'd entertain it, but it seems that the U2311 are pretty popular

Any questions or comments are always helpful, you guys are the best.

Back