• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Eyefinity Configuration help

thetruth

Gawd
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
563
I have an Asus VW266H monitor and a 5870 with a 9450 @3.6 and 4gb sys ram on Vista 64. I am interested in eyefinity for gaming. Mostly fps.

What would be the least expensive, good solution? Including selling the 26" for three smaller displays.

Thanks
 
Do you have an aversion to 60hz refresh? Do you have an aversion to TN panels?

With a single 5870, I would suggest 3 monitors, preferrably 22" @ 1680x1050 just to make sure you have the horsepower to push that many pixels.
 
Just looking for the least expensive 3 display solution.

I think my current rig will push the resolution without AA. I do fine in BFBC2 at 1920X1200.

What is the issue with 60hz?
 
Have you tried looking on eBay for 2 more of your current monitor? That's what I did. Bought myself 2x Dell 2007FPW's off ebay for about $150 ea. I had to get the active DP-to-DVI adapter from Dell for $100. Ended up spending about $450 total including shipping. It was so much cheaper than buying 2 new, non-matching LCD's or 3 new ones, one with DP. You should look into it if you like your current display.
 
I do like my Asus but the Bezel is pretty thick. That is why I was looking. I do not mind used though.
 
I'm running three of these monitors now. Bezels aren't particularly thick; they're about average. Haven't bothered me, at any rate.
 
What is the issue with 60hz?

To me, nothing. It works fine. Some people simply cannot use a 60hz monitor, though.

I would agree overall but for gaming 120 Hz is better. I actually find the desktop is better as well, things just look and feel better and its definately easier on the eyes but 120Hz means only fairly expensive (for TN) 23" TN panels at the moment.
 
So if I went with my Asus, the resolution would be ok for a single 5870 with reasonable settings to stay around 60fps?

Otherwise, I would go with 3 22" for the lower resolution.
 
No, you're definitely not going to get around 60 FPS with three 19x12 monitors on a single 5870 unless you really dial down some settings. Not sure that even 22" will do the job at max settings, but it'll bring you a lot coser to the goal with high settings.
 
No, you're definitely not going to get around 60 FPS with three 19x12 monitors on a single 5870 unless you really dial down some settings. Not sure that even 22" will do the job at max settings, but it'll bring you a lot coser to the goal with high settings.

Only been at this week on the nVidia side but honestly I don't have any idea how people were running 3" 1920x1080 or better monitors with a single 5870. I would try to budget some for another 5870 just in case unless you're willing to give up higher settings in newer games.
 
Here's what to expect with single card:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/05/amds_ati_radeon_eyefinity_performance_review/1

You can get a pretty decent Eyefinity experience with a single card. :)

As for display port adapter, go for the Sapphire ones. The DP->VGA adapters are less then $25 and with good feedback.

Edit: As for screens, you should consider VA or IPS based panels if you want to run some games in portrait. TN's are very bad at this. Get 3 screens of same model and you'll have less headache matching them.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top