• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Eyefinity 5x1 on 7850's

mchalejk

n00b
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
42
So can anyone explain to me if I can push 5x1 eyefinity from my 2x7850's in crossfire. I have 4 Dell U2410's and may look to pick up a fifth if this will work. For those that dont know these are all DP monitors and their default res is 1920x1200. I cant determine if the outputs work on both cards. Thanks in advanced for the help.
 
That might be pushing them. The 7800s are good for 3 monitor eyefinity and the 7900's are good for more than that due to more VRAM and horsepower. Otherwise you may have to run a lot of games on low/medium. (Just an observation based on seeing a friend who has a similar setup)
 
That might be pushing them. The 7800s are good for 3 monitor eyefinity and the 7900's are good for more than that due to more VRAM and horsepower. Otherwise you may have to run a lot of games on low/medium. (Just an observation based on seeing a friend who has a similar setup)

+1.
They might run 3 at lowered settings like Mr. Stryker said, but for 5+ You will probably be looking at 2 7970's at minimum.
OP, what are the rest of your system specs?
 
That's 11.5 million pixels, almost as much as a 2560x1600 Eyefinity setup. Considering that 7970 Xfire setups struggle at that resolution, unfortunately 7850s won't be able to handle that with any reasonable settings or frame rates.
 
I believe I have an i7-920...24GB ram...240GB SSD...2TB WD...the 7850's I have are both 2GB cards. I was more curious if the hardware configuration was supported? I wasnt sure if you had to have a card with 6 outputs (or in my case 5). I would like to play with this, if I like it more than 3x1 landscape, then maybe I will upgrade when the new cards come out. Or maybe see what nVidia has to offer. How does nVidia fair at this resolution?
 
I believe I have an i7-920...24GB ram...240GB SSD...2TB WD...the 7850's I have are both 2GB cards. I was more curious if the hardware configuration was supported? I wasnt sure if you had to have a card with 6 outputs (or in my case 5). I would like to play with this, if I like it more than 3x1 landscape, then maybe I will upgrade when the new cards come out. Or maybe see what nVidia has to offer. How does nVidia fair at this resolution?

You would want at least the 4gb cards of AMD/Nvidia and probably quad sli/xfire for performance/quality.
I would go for sli/xfire of the top cards and run 3 monitors and see how you like it and how many games work good with it. If you wanted more you could always add more video cards(if your MB supports it and power supply) and OC the 920, or get a 3570K OC(never played with a 920)
 
Yeah I'm running 8020x1440 (3x 2560x1440 screens bezel corrected) and 3 670's are barely enough to run at that rez. Make sure you get 4GB+ cards if you are going to run at that high of a rez as well.

Also unless you get a good clocker that 920 might hold your GPU's back. When you run at this high of a rez clock speed becomes very important. I saw a pretty large jump in gaming performance going from my i7 860@4Ghz to the 3570k@4.5Ghz.
 
Yeah I'm running 8020x1440 (3x 2560x1440 screens bezel corrected) and 3 670's are barely enough to run at that rez. Make sure you get 4GB+ cards if you are going to run at that high of a rez as well.

Also unless you get a good clocker that 920 might hold your GPU's back. When you run at this high of a rez clock speed becomes very important. I saw a pretty large jump in gaming performance going from my i7 860@4Ghz to the 3570k@4.5Ghz.

Yeah, I am not sure just how much more the cpu was holding back even the 3570k @ 4.5. I know Vega wanted to try and get over 5ghz, but I dont remember.

Personally, if somebody has the $$ to want 5 monitors, might as well go big. A nice I7 3930K OC since more and more games want more cores.(expecially if you play BF3)
 
Yeah, I am not sure just how much more the cpu was holding back even the 3570k @ 4.5. I know Vega wanted to try and get over 5ghz, but I dont remember.

Personally, if somebody has the $$ to want 5 monitors, might as well go big. A nice I7 3930K OC since more and more games want more cores.(expecially if you play BF3)
The performance did scale up even more at 5Ghz, but on air I just can't run that as a 24/7 OC. My office would get hot as hell with 3 670's and a 100c CPU chugging away in a mid tower. I've been working on getting air piped into my case from outside (I live in WI) to help with temps to see if I can do a higher 24/7 OC.
 
The performance did scale up even more at 5Ghz, but on air I just can't run that as a 24/7 OC. My office would get hot as hell with 3 670's and a 100c CPU chugging away in a mid tower. I've been working on getting air piped into my case from outside (I live in WI) to help with temps to see if I can do a higher 24/7 OC.

Thanks for the info! I hear you on the heat. I have 4 comps in 1 room that I play around with and luckily they all dont run at 100%. hehe
I would love to have a rack with the back of it boxed in and a big vent with a pull fan blowing all the hot air out of the room and into the attic/outside. :D
 
Thanks for the info! I hear you on the heat. I have 4 comps in 1 room that I play around with and luckily they all dont run at 100%. hehe
I would love to have a rack with the back of it boxed in and a big vent with a pull fan blowing all the hot air out of the room and into the attic/outside. :D

Yeah thats my end goal once I get a house....have everything in a rack in the basement and run all my IO cables to a wall plate at my desk.
 
Back
Top