eyefinity 3d?

CousinVin

Limp Gawd
Has there been anymore talk about it? is it out? what is the deal with it?

i have googled it, and all that came up was rumors from 2010

its available but AMD uses 3rd party 3D solutions that aren't as well established as nvidia's 3D support.

i;d rather they get eyefinity synchronized when having to use 2 display ports and 1 dvi port since display port hubs dont exist.

Post 2

3rd party support can make it happen but if it has limited support and functionality.

You want surround 3d, you should go nvidia.

Has anyone actually ever set anything like this up? There was a lot of talk about the 7000 series + 12.x drivers enabling eyefinity HD3D but I still haven't seen anybody make it happen.

I currently have a pair of 7970s and 3 Samsung S27A750D 120Hz 3D monitors. These are native displayport devices (no DVI), so I can only run two of them at 120Hz while the third is connected via HDMI. I'm waiting for word on the 7990 which hopefully might offer more than 2 DP ports so I should be able to support all 3 displays at 120Hz (while also giving me 4x crossfire). Failing that, ASUS has a 4 DP 7970 card available now which should allow the same thing.

edit: when people say "3rd party support", are we talking iz3d/tridef? Or is there some other solution that I'm not aware of?

What about single monitor 3d on an AMD card? All that i have seen, 3D wise is based on Nvidia products. What kind of monitors, hardware, and glasses are called for if using an AMD solution?

Edit: dur. answering my own question.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-hd3d/Pages/hd3d.aspx

Single monitor 3D works brilliantly. I'm using TriDef because it came with my monitor but from what I understand iz3d works well too. There's an active community developing game profiles for TriDef so I've only very rarely run into games I can't get to work correctly with 3D (far more titles than I can get to work correctly with eyefinity anyways). It's a great solution but I'd love to see eyefinity support.

In regards to NVIDIA - those fellas need to get on the DP bandwagon. The monitors I have support HDMI or DP, not DVI. This would likely be because VESA has killed the DVI spec and there will be no more updates to the platform. I RMAd my new 560ti because NVIDIA drivers either wouldn't recognize the card or completely broke DP support. This turned out to be a known issue with their drivers as of mid January. I had every intention on going green this cycle but NVIDIA doesn't seem to be able to get their act together in regards to driver support any better than AMD excepting that the AMD cards I bought actually would work with DP (albeit only 2).

Finally, this all might be pissing up a rope. From what I've read, the bezel in 3D Surround is disorientating because it's out of focus with the rest of the screen (not in 3D obviously) which winds up destroying the illusion and causing eye strain in the process. Still, I've been building this system with this specific goal in mind. $5000 later and I'm not there yet. Maybe next month...

i;d rather they get eyefinity synchronized when having to use 2 display ports and 1 dvi port since display port hubs dont exist.

You can already do this with the Asus DirectCU II line of cards (4-DP Ports per card).

In regards to NVIDIA - those fellas need to get on the DP bandwagon. The monitors I have support HDMI or DP, not DVI. This would likely be because VESA has killed the DVI spec and there will be no more updates to the platform. I RMAd my new 560ti because NVIDIA drivers either wouldn't recognize the card or completely broke DP support. This turned out to be a known issue with their drivers as of mid January. I had every intention on going green this cycle but NVIDIA doesn't seem to be able to get their act together in regards to driver support any better than AMD excepting that the AMD cards I bought actually would work with DP (albeit only 2).

Really? You just said your screens can use HDMI or DP, you could have simply used a DVI to HDMI cable/adapter since they're the same video signal :rolleyes: . As far as recognizing the card, either A) PEBKAC, or B) defective card.

Really? You just said your screens can use HDMI or DP, you could have simply used a DVI to HDMI cable/adapter since they're the same video signal :rolleyes: . As far as recognizing the card, either A) PEBKAC, or B) defective card.
No, this was a specific issue with the drivers as confirmed by EVGA support. When connecting via DP, the card would output video until you loaded drivers, indicating that the card, cable, and monitor were all working over DP (at low resolutions anyway). It wasn't until you loaded the drivers that the DP output would fail. The 560ti isn't supported in the 280.x series of drivers as it was released after those drivers, and the 290.x drivers broke DP compatibility with this monitor. So I could either get an NVIDIA driver which would support my card, or one which would support my monitor, but not both. This might have changed since mid January (as I stated above), but the issue was confirmed which was why I RMAd the card.

HDMI and DVI are not the same video signal, as HDMI cannot do 120Hz at 1080p, while DVI dual-link can. Unfortunately the S27A750D does not support DVI (again, see above). No 120Hz means no frame-sequential 3D, meaning I could do side-by-side (or top-bottom), but that halved the resolution in one direction or another which was unacceptable to me. So no, converting DVI to HDMI isn't a good solution when dealing with 3D.

Before you flame me, try getting your facts in order first. I'm not a rube and your contribution here isn't helping.

Last edited:
Oh hey look at this!. TriDef is now officially supporting EyeFinity+HD3D!

edit: holy crap it works! kinda, in my case. Again I only have 2 DP ports so I've had to disable the third monitor. If you've ever tried using EyeFinity w/ 2 monitors you know how bad it is, but with the latest beta of TriDef along with the hack in the link above, I was able to enable 3d on the 2 DP connected monitors in EyeFinity mode.

The test game was Batman Arkham City (steam version). When things were near the bezel it looked bad, and because I'm in 2 monitor EyeFinity everything is near the bezel. I imagine this will be far less disorienting once I get something that has 3 DP outputs.

So, do I wait for the 7990 or get the 4 DP output Asus and try to get it to crossfire with my Sapphire 7970s...

This is killing me! I'm so close!

Last edited:
in crossfire you can't just use 2 DP on one card and the third off the second card?

in crossfire you can't just use 2 DP on one card and the third off the second card?
Nope, Crossfire requires all connections to come from one card. If somebody ever gets around to releasing an DP 1.2 MST hub then I could use that as well, but that's been delayed so many times that I won't be holding my breath.

i guess bumping this is better than making a new thread. From what i read, the 7950 does support 3d, right? Don't wanna blow the cash on a 3D monitor and not have the support.

Back