Eyefinity 2.0 question

lordsegan

Gawd
Does anyone know if the new Eyefinity drivers will allow 3D gaming on a 20" 30" 20" setup?

Currently, I believe all three monitors must be the same resolution..

So does this mean, finally after two years, AMD allows for the godly setup of P+L+P = 20" Portrait + 30" Landscape + 20" Portrait in Eyefinity gaming ?

No one knows for sure yet. Going from the pictures it would seem so. Why it has taken so long for people to allow PLP config blows my mind.

Wow gotta give a golf clap for AMD. Wonder how long it takes for nvidia to catch up.

No one knows for sure yet. Going from the pictures it would seem so. Why it has taken so long for people to allow PLP config blows my mind.

From what I've heard writing that into the drivers is like figuring out the algorythm for making dark matter with the new haldron collider. :D

Read the guru3d review of the 7970. He says by February you should be able to completely dial in custom resolution.

Read the guru3d review of the 7970. He says by February you should be able to completely dial in custom resolution.

Then the $550 price point would be justified, if they finally allow 20" + 30" + 20" configurations. Been waiting over two years for that from AMD Eyefinity. I would much rather have that setup over my current triple 27" screens, which are a bit too wide for my liking, stretches out the image way too much.

Guru3D : " Eyefinity 2.0

One of the biggest success stories of the Radeon series was the introduction of Eyefinity. Eyefinity allows you to use multiple monitors in desktop and gaming mode. Typically you needed the very same monitors and resolutions, Eyefinity 2.0 changes that. You are now actually able to create a custom resolution. So if you have three difference sized monitors, you can actually get that working (not that I'd recommend it) .

More monitor signal bandwidth is created with the 7900 series cards as well, you may now create resolutions of 16k x 16k. This for a fact allows you to setup say five screens in 5.1 Landscape mode in 1920x1200 and even 2560x1600 monitors.

You guys slowly start to understand now why the R7970 has 3GB of graphics memory right, huge resolutions require huge framebuffers. And for the above mentioned setup with 2560x1600 monitors that would boil down towards 12800 x 1600 pixels, that's a 20 Mpixels resolution -- HUGE!

Later on in the February 2012 release of AMD catalyst drivers you will see support for afore mentioned custom resolutions as well. So 3072x768 can be made manually as well as 5040x1050 or 5670x1200. You are in control of the resolution you like to apply to your monitors.

In the upcoming Catalyst 12.2 you will also see a new feature called taskbar positioning. Say that you setup 3 or even 5 screens in landscape mode. Then it's always a total bitch that the start menu and icons are located all the way to the far left screen. The new feature will allow you to configure the position of the taskbar, so if you want it positioned in the middle monitor, that will become an options. That's progress folks..."

Guru3D : " Eyefinity 2.0

Later on in the February 2012 release of AMD catalyst drivers you will see support for afore mentioned custom resolutions as well. So 3072x768 can be made manually as well as 5040x1050 or 5670x1200. You are in control of the resolution you like to apply to your monitors.

In the upcoming Catalyst 12.2 you will also see a new feature called taskbar positioning. Say that you setup 3 or even 5 screens in landscape mode. Then it's always a total bitch that the start menu and icons are located all the way to the far left screen. The new feature will allow you to configure the position of the taskbar, so if you want it positioned in the middle monitor, that will become an options. That's progress folks..."

That is great news ;) And hopefully come late February the 7970 is cheaper.

Has it been stated if Eyefinity 2.0 will be supported on the 5000 or 6000 series? Or is something thats only going to be supported on the 7000 series cards.

I haven't read anything specific stating that you will be able to combine portrait and landscape modes. Now in windows desktop I can mixed resolutions working no problems. For games it is another story. Games usually will only work if the eyefinity resolution creates a rectangle. The only way I could ever see mixed resolution games in a setup like a 1080P/1600P/1080P working is if the driver draws the "blank" area to fill in the rectangle of the smaller screens just like it draws the blank area for bezel correction. No matter how it turns out, I don't think using mixed sized/resolution monitors would be a good idea.

Has it been stated if Eyefinity 2.0 will be supported on the 5000 or 6000 series? Or is something thats only going to be supported on the 7000 series cards.

Likely only 7970.
but who knows.

I dont expect PLP setup to work as yet.
landscape or portrait is the only way as far even with eyefinity 2.0

I don't think there is anything saying the driver is exclusive to the 7900 series.

That said, giant screens are going to need some big-ass memory capability, that's where this new card with 3GB is going to shine through.

Like everyone else, I have not seen anything say directly that P-L-P will work, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.:D

I don't think there is anything saying the driver is exclusive to the 7900 series.

That said, giant screens are going to need some big-ass memory capability, that's where this new card with 3GB is going to shine through.

Like everyone else, I have not seen anything say directly that P-L-P will work, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.:D

This is a big question for me as well, backwards compatibility. I think that is the one thing that Nvidia really did well with their surround release was making it backward compatible along a number of their lines. I would think AMD would do something similar. It is such a niche market that most people doing Eyefinity should understand that some setups simply require far more processing power than others.

Also I would have loved PLP, but having already invested in 3 28" monitors, its a bit late heh, unless I can do PLLLP, which would be awesome.

AMD peoples (over at AMD forums) mentionned that Eyefinity 1.0 cannot support custom resolution due to hardware limitations.

AMD peoples (over at AMD forums) mentionned that Eyefinity 1.0 cannot support custom resolution due to hardware limitations.

Maybe they are talking about the pre-DP 1.2 revision GPUs.

I cant imagine what the limitation would be otherwise, since it's basically all software communication.

This is just the gradual evolution of the feature.....AMD has been really slow to improve on the product. They have been touting 6 monitor set-ups for almost a year now.

I expect the feature will be do-able on 6xxx and 7xxx hardware, but maybe not 5xxx just because it doesn't have the horsepower to drive the pixels.

Same with nvidia and Surround. It's entirely do-able on a GTX 285 but the capability of the GPU severly limits performance.:D

Here's a quote from the same forum, I do believe what we are hoping from AMD IS do-able in THTG...........

" Come on man, its "impossible"? Its obviously not impossible, SofTH allows it";)

I'd love to be able to use my 24" 1920x1080 and my 20" 1680x1050 monitors in Eyefinity for racing games, even if it means rendering at 3x1920x1080 and just not displaying the extra pixels. I have no great desire to go out and purchase 2 more 24" monitors just for Eyefinity when I only want to use it for racing games anyway

Ok Ok, so we know we can mix/match monitors and resolution for PLP or LPL or whatever you want up to 16kx16x. We can also according to these slides do use AMD HD3D to do 3x3D monitors with stereoscopic glasses.

What I kind of want to know is can we do Normal3DNormal monitors and mix/match 3D monitors. Theres some nice Samsung 27" 3D monitors for around $600 that would make for a great 'middle' screen with two cheaper 23" normal monitors in portrait on left/right. The 27" monitor could be used solo for 3D movies... then gaming do eyefinity normal on all three or alternatively normal3Dnormal via eyefinity.

Damn you AMD for getting my hopes up for PLP support...can someone get this done already?
Sorry for the necro but there is not much info about PLP out there.

Back