Extremely Odd Word Document

coolrunnings

Limp Gawd
Ok here's one that has me stumped. I have a file that a customer of mine sent and she says it reads as gibberish. I open it and it reads just fine and I can print it. She's using Office 2007 and I'm using Office 2010. Here's where things get really odd:

If I try to change the font in the text of the document on my computer, it changes to gibberish. If I take that same file that reads ok for me and try to open it on her computer, it reads as if the font were some greek format! Can anyone tell me what's up with this file? I have linked the original document and a PDF (just so if you can't open it you can see what it's supposed to look like) below.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/4/11/3290466/ERM RH B&B Movie Collection.docx

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/4/11/3290466/ERM RH B&B Movie Collection.pdf

What you're customer is seeing in the Word doc is what happens when a font cannot be found or negotiated. I'm also seeing the garbage characters on my machine -- Win7 x64 with Office 2010.

Send your customer the font file(s), or, better yet, pick a different font that is standard and has a better chance of existing on someone's machine.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I thought. However why does it not let me change the font on my machine even though I can see it?

I can change the font on my machine, so I'm unsure where you're having the issue.

However, my situation is unique because I don't have the original font files -- therefore, I can't convert it to another font and actually see the text.

Silly question, but have you tried exporting the files as 2007 format to see if she can see them? Could be just a compatibility issue, with no need to play with fonts.

have you tried uploading it to google docs? docs.google.com

many times it converts something to a readable format for me

Tried uploading to Google Docs but it shows corrupted. It is already in 2007 format... The original machine that created the document was running 2007...

Yea, but is she creating it - or receiving it from somewhere else, and trying to view it in 2007?

I can't imagine shes writing a document in gibberish, and then trying to read it. Your OP seemed to imply she was getting it from somewhere, and trying to read it.

Sorry, let me clarify: She created this on her computer when it was running Windows XP and Office 2007. Her computer was upgraded to Windows 7 and the same copy of Office reinstalled 2 months ago. Since the upgrade (clean install), she hasn't been able to open the document.

Thanks Rami100735. I tried that and it makes the file readable again on her computer! I appreciate it!

Back