• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

External DAC for laptop

superballz00

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
148
I'm looking for an external DAC around $100 for my laptop. I'm currently looking at the Creative SB X-Fi HD and Nuforce uDAC-2. Is the Nuforce significantly better than the SB X-Fi HD? The only think on the SB X-Fi HD that looks better is the 114dB SNR compared to the 98dB of the Nuforce. Any other suggestions for around $100? I'll be using it with my M-Audio Bx5a Deluxe speakers. Can I plug the Bx5a into the 3.5mm jack on the Nuforce or do I have to the RCA jacks?
 
I like my nuforce udac v1.

You can use the bx5's with the 3.5mm jack, just get a 3.5 to rca adapter or cable.
 
Looks like I'll have to get the RCA adapter with the SB too since its 3.5mm jack is amped. How is the volume of the udac with speakers? I would like a good amount of increase in volume for movies with DTS audio. The SB should be twice as loud as my laptop audio so I hope the udac is louder than my laptop audio.
 
I don't issues with volume, FWIW. But I tend to listen quieter than others.
 
Do you feel like there is a big difference in sound quality between the udac and onboard sound when using speakers?
 
I say go for the Musiland Monitor 02 if you can find it for under $100.
 
It's easily discovered on head-fi that the contest between udac and x-fi isn't a contest at all, udac hands down. Though I've got one ordered, so if you want to wait for me to compare to my x-fi you can, but I'm just about 100% certain the x-fi is going to get killed (see, cause dacs aren't exactly a tricky tech, yet x-fi still sounds _noticably_ bad compared to how I heard my new speakers sound demoing them in the shop with the same music tracks.)

As for whether you'll find a difference between on board sound and the udac with BX5As, yes you will. Laptops earned their rep for having bad sound out, and BX5As are good enough speakers to hear the difference.
 
Will the fact that the 3.5mm output is amped cause a problem when I connect my bx5a or a sub to it? I plan to get a sub in the future and would need a LFE or RCA output from the dac.
 
I think it should be fine, but I wouldn't quote me on it. Wait to see if someone else can offer an opinion. Also, the udac only has a left and right, so a sub won't really work into the mix with it. Maybe you can get creative though.
 
Back
Top