External Backup Drive: Always on?

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been considering getting a backup drive for a while now, just to offload some of the stuff I won't be using or want to keep for a while from my main hard drive. But I've always wondered: If I don't consistently use that backup drive (say, maybe once a month for retrieval or backing up), should I just turn it on for the time I'll need it and keep it off for the rest of the time? Or keep it on all the time? I'm basically wondering, what would extend the life of the external hdd, would it deteriorate with lack of use or over use or what?

Thanks!

Be better to just turn it on only when you use it - that's how I use mine. Depending on the drive, many of them will automatically power down the drive itself, but you would still be drawing residual power (and keeping the electronics powered) for no reason.

It really depends on how much you use it. I usually leave mine, but it spins down when not in use. Since your use will be much less frequent, I would definitely turn it off when you aren't using it. Any you'll be saving a little power too.

Yeah, I'd turn it off, it's a mechanical device, constantly running it can't possibly be any healthier than powering it up once a month. I tend to leave mine on because I do weekly backups of essential stuff, tho occasionally I power it down if I haven't been on the PC much (nothing to backup that week) or if I'm going on vacation or w/e. I've killed a few enclosures over the years, I think those things are actually just as fragile as the drives themselves (3rd party and pre-built manufacturer enclosures both).

External drives use crappy power supplies, I don't trust them so I wouldn't let them connected at all if not in use.

Back