Explain to me why Halo is so popular

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
Why don't you actually read the text?

Because, as I have already posted and cited, WoW: BC sold 2.7 million copies in 24 hours.

Why are you counting only a fraction of its sales, that makes no sense... Halo 2 was sold in other countries than the US as well....

*edit* removed personal flame... bite my tongue lol

Wow... you quote me wikipedia... I give you the press release from the publisher of the game.

Why don't you actually look at the cited link on that Wikipedia article and show me 2.7 million anywhere on it.

http://www.blizzard.com/press/070123.shtml

I'll even break it down for you:

worldwide total of nearly 2.4 million copies sold in the first 24 hours of availability
estimated total of nearly 1.2 million copies sold on the first day in North America
estimated total of more than 1.1 million copies sold in Europe within the first 24 hours of launch

and then I'll state the US ONLY numbers for Halo 2 (which you can even look up on Wikipedia if you like)
2.4 million

North America and Europe account for the entire planet now?

Forgetting a VERY important market are we? (especially with MMO's) (Asia, if I have to spell it out for you)

North America and Europe account for the entire planet now?

Forgetting a VERY important market are we? (especially with MMO's) (Asia, if I have to spell it out for you)
Am I going nuts. Let me say it VERY CLEARLY.

BLIZZARD PRESS RELEASE = 2.4 MILLION WORLDWIDE ON DAY ONE.
MICROSOFT PRESS RELEASE = 2.4 MILLION US ON DAY ONE.

Wikipedia is giving numbers for US, EU, and Australia. The article you linked says ESTIMATED and probably does not include Australia

...the reason that microsoft only gives US numbers is because Halo didnt sell a significant amount anywhere else, unlike WoW.

Day one is different days for different territories, day one in US and Europe was 2.4 million, add the rest of the worlds day one sales (which was a later date) and you will get the 2.7 million number that wikipedia is giving.

...the reason that microsoft only gives US numbers is because Halo didnt sell a significant amount anywhere else, unlike WoW.

What if I were to edit the wikipedia article and state that 2.4 million were sold to match the press release, would you still quote it as fact? ;)

What if I were to edit the wikipedia article and state that 2.4 million were sold to match the press release, would you still quote it as fact? ;)

The press release is an estimated figure probably on the day after, obviously it is off, and like I said in my altered post, probably does not include australia, as it does not mention it anywhere.

I do agree that Wikipedia probably is not the most reputable source due to the open nature of it. It is however undeniable that WORLDWIDE WoW:BC sold faster than Halo 2

It is however undeniable that WORLDWIDE WoW:BC sold faster than Halo 2

Only if it launched everywhere on the same day. I don't know if it did and frankly, I don't care enough to look.

*runs off to bash Lair a little more*

Then you haven't played the PC's best FPSs.
just accept that some people find halo enjoyable and favor it over other shooters. the only other pc fps to come close would be tribes 1, for me. half life 1 and 2 for example were definitly fun, but I didn't find them as enjoyable.

Heres a 'WTF' for some of you.

Why is it that if you like Halo, apparently you're an idiot? I love the vibe permeating this thread that if you find Halo entertaining than you either :

a) Have no taste in games
b) Obviously haven't ever played a PC shooter
c) Have an opinion that is wrong and has no merit.

What the hell did Halo ever do? Did it take food from starving children in Africa? Did it steal pensions from the elderly?

It's a well marketed software title, people like it and other things too. You can like PC games and also like Halo, it's not forbidden. I've played a lot of FPS's on a lot of different systems. I've enjoyed them all.

I plan to continue.

You are enlightened. The moron teenagers who think halo is "the shit" and is the best thing ever and will be the biggest thing since sliced bread piss us all off at their ignorance.

I used to work at gamestop, I know what I am talking about, these people used to drive me insane every day.

Heres a 'WTF' for some of you.

Why is it that if you like Halo, apparently you're an idiot? I love the vibe permeating this thread that if you find Halo entertaining than you either :

a) Have no taste in games
b) Obviously haven't ever played a PC shooter
c) Have an opinion that is wrong and has no merit.

What the hell did Halo ever do? Did it take food from starving children in Africa? Did it steal pensions from the elderly?

It's a well marketed software title, people like it and other things too. You can like PC games and also like Halo, it's not forbidden. I've played a lot of FPS's on a lot of different systems. I've enjoyed them all.

I plan to continue.

The only thing I can think of is that Bungie had ambitious plans for Halo on the PC. Then it was snatched by MS, scaled back and made Xbox only for a while. That was a long time ago though, even I thought it was a bad move but the moment I played through it co-op in two nights I was sold on the game. Who cares if multiplayer on the PC had mentioned 30 something players with many vehicles, it was still fun on the Xbox in it's neutered form.

You know, I think there are a lot of reasons for Halo's success. I was in College when the original Halo was sort of in its prime and the funny thing about Halo was that a lot of my "frat" mentality type friends, who would normally never get near a sci-fi shooter type game like Half-Life were all over Halo on the XBOX.

I think it basically became the new Goldeneye--the game you played with a bunch of friends. The multiplayer component had a nice competitive, sporty feel. It was almost treated as a sport. I never had an XBOX but I was already playing games like Counterstrike and Team Fortress when Halo hit the street. The first time I saw Halo I pretty blown away by it because it just had a unique look and feel.

The weapons in Halo are very cool, especially the alien weapons. And grenades are a big part of the game as well.

I hope Bungie makes a game for the Wii. They do now how to make a fun game.

You are enlightened. The moron teenagers who think halo is "the shit" and is the best thing ever and will be the biggest thing since sliced bread piss us all off at their ignorance.

I used to work at gamestop, I know what I am talking about, these people used to drive me insane every day.

I understand. I try not to be a fanboy for any one thing, although my excitement for certain things might paint me as such from time to time. I just play games for the games, doesn't matter where they land. I'm hoping Halo 3 is the first in the series I actually want to play through. I've seen them played all the way through, but I really couldn't stand the last part of 2. So I can definitely understand where people come up with a 'Whats the big deal' sort of approach.

Like many others, I was dragged into Halo via friends, and stayed for the Multiplayer experience, which was a ton of fun with all the different people I had to play it with. Judging from how much fun we had with the beta, I'm positive this one is going to be fun for our group.

Halo series has gone the way the ipods/nokias/David Beckhams Haircut/lynx deodorant have...... Theres better out there but were in a world where humans are easily brainwashed. Those constant halo players you have my deepest sympathy, there is so much better out there!

Like Killzone? Because Killzone fuckin' ruled, man!!!!!:rolleyes: "Dude, the framerate doesn't suck ass, the developers made it run slow so you can see how much better it looks than Halo!!!!!"

Too many PS2 fans pissed off that their console couldn't run Halo even if it had been programmed for it. The "Emotion Engine" would've blown up.

Like Killzone? Because Killzone fuckin' ruled, man!!!!!:rolleyes: "Dude, the framerate doesn't suck ass, the developers made it run slow so you can see how much better it looks than Halo!!!!!"

Too many PS2 fans pissed off that their console couldn't run Halo even if it had been programmed for it. The "Emotion Engine" would've blown up.

Your an idiot, fps games on the playstation brand didnt even cross my mind!

Those constant halo players you have my deepest sympathy, there is so much better out there!
Quick question for you Rash. If Halo is so much worse than the other FPSs, why is it always so critically acclaimed?

Halo: Ranked 8th of all games on gamerankings.
Halo 2: Ranked 21st of all games on gamerankings.

FPS that rank higher than Halo = Golden Eye, Bioshock, Metroid Prime.
FPS than rank higher than Halo 2 = Above + Half Life 2

For what it's worth I disagree with the above and would put Thief and DeusEx above the Halo games... but of modern FPS games, there's nothing really that special.

[Edit - D'oh, I forgot it was this thread. Ah well, I'm done arguing with CodeX anyway.]

You know there's something wrong with the reviews when Halo is ranked above HL2 and Halo 2 is ranked above HL.

Quick question for you Rash. If Halo is so much worse than the other FPSs, why is it always so critically acclaimed?

For what it's worth I disagree with the above and would put Thief and DeusEx above the Halo games... but of modern FPS games, there's nothing really that special.

[Edit - D'oh, I forgot it was this thread. Ah well, I'm done arguing with CodeX anyway.]

I honestly still to this day dont know what all the fuss is about with Halo, as a major PC Gamer i thouht the games were shite, i thougt the multiplayer was shite aswell. Might just be me, but id rank(multiplayer wise) 32 player serious sam 2 co-op, warhawk, halflife 2 deathmatch/mods deathmatch, UT series.
Single player wise i agree with the Deus ex and theif, id also rank hl2, resistance, fear, quake 4, bioshock, call of juarez, Unreal 1, probably some others i cant think about atm better than Halo series. I think its because im a PC gamer i feel this way. As i said before, the only reason its so critically acclaimed is beacause it was the first semi decent console fps, thats all period.

lol, the halo haters are funny.

I think Espo said it best:
Halo is popular because it is fun. Its really that simple.

Elaborating why people enjoy Halo comes down to many things which the game did well. Co-op was a blast, the story was enjoyable, multiplayer and LAN parties were fun, the graphics were great at the time, and most of all the gameplay was simple, yet fun and satisfying. I think health system of regaining life/shields is one of the main reason the game was so enjoyable.

BTW I have always been a PC gamer since Wing Commander on my 486DX2. I have played almost every major FPS and a consider Halo to be a good FPS game series, but definitely not my favorite.

Every title in the top 10 on gamerankings is on a console. Doesn't it strike you as odd that NO pc exclusive game EVER has broken into the top 10? Civilization 2 and 3, Starcraft, Half Life 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Thief 1 & 2, Deus Ex (there was even a console port I believe), Quake series, UT series, Fallout 1 and 2, Red Alert, Diablo, WoW and too many others to name. A whole great big bundle of gaming goodness during the past decade or so, and not a single one of those titles is actually better than Tekken 3?

Yeah, right.

resistance, fear, quake 4, bioshock, call of juarez, Unreal 1
I'd give you unreal 1 and bioshock for sure (Unreal mainly because it was groundbreaking). Really don't agree with resistance, quake 4 and call of jaurez though. All have particularly good aspects, but all fall down when looking at the complete package.

Doesn't it strike you as odd that NO pc exclusive game EVER has broken into the top 10? Yeah, right.
For sure, but why do you think that is? I've already stated my opinion of Thief / Deus Ex and Half Life so it's not as if I disagree with you on those. It is worth remembering though that the top 30 games are covered by a 3% difference in score so it's not exactly that meaningful.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/932095.asp?q=halo 2

Halo 2 on PC 74%

Take what you want from that, but I belive that's the kind of score it should have got in the first place. Sites that scored it in the 90's scores it on the 70's on the PC. I know that is 2 years old now, but a truely great game should be able to stand the test of time, especailly two years. And is Halo 3 really going to be that much different?

I think there are a number of reasons for this. Reviewers are not imune to hype for a start. Games are reviewed in comparisson to the platforms they are on for the most part, and there are without doubt more quality FPS on the PC than on consoles. Dont think sites are not bribed by advertising deals and payouts.

And ill say it again, marketing works. I think Pirates of the Caribbean 2 is now the highest grossing film ever, yet who here beleives its the best film ever. Mainstream buyers that do not have a hardcore interest in games, or music or film, buy what they see advertised, that is a fact, thats why companys spend huge money on advertising. A game like HL2 or FEAR on the 360 gets no where near the advertising budget Halo 2 will get, it will be all over magazines, TV, shop windows. That stuff works and definitly accounts for a lot of sales. I'm not saying people play a game they don't like, im sure they do enjoy, but they dont always know waht else is out there...

It most certainly isn't the best game out there but it's very fun, and that's why it's popular.

I remember when I put Halo on a very tall pedestal. Then I got a gaming computer, and I can see now why PC gamers aren't too accepting of Halo. I personally prefer games such as R6V, BF2, but the thing about Halo 2 for me is that it's just plain easy to get playing. It's fun and it's easy to play yet hard to master. (Granted, I don't play it often anymore, but it is hard to get up to the top without cheating like everyone else there.) The two major hates I have about it?

- 8 year olds running around thinking they're a one man army, and the other team massacring them. Then they cry about how the other team is ruining their childhood.
- The story. GTFO, Arbiter. I don't need to have to play an enemy with pitifully weak armour. Also, WTF with the ending?

That being said, I was totally not impressed with Halo 2 Vista. My friend let me borrow his CD, I played through the first level and promptly uninstalled it. I keep Halo PC around because my friends have it, and it's the only way we can play anymore. (One guy sold his Xbox, the other won't buy one.)

That being said, PC controls for halo are shit. Complete shit. Who puts meele next to reload?

Overall, I like the games. They're not at the top of my list, but they're not at the bottom either. I just really hate the 8 year olds who play it. Case in point? Once, I played with a girl over live. Guys hear her voice, find out she's a girl. 15 guys gang up on her, team killing and just hunting her down for fun, all while making her feel like a worthless piece of shit. I had enough, and I didn't go on live for another two months. That being said, if you have good friends online, you know your tactics, and y'all can work together tactically, it should be fun.

This is going to sound cold... but you love saying "that being said" don't you. ;)

This is going to sound cold... but you love saying "that being said" don't you. ;)

High pitched 8 year-old players over XBL have caused me brain damage... amage....amage... What are we talking about? :D

I wrote that up really quickly, and really didn't proof read it.

Halo is popular because it is fun. Its really that simple.

UT is fun, forza 2 is fun, mario, etc i can go on and on yet those games aint has overhyped as your beloved halo3.

you go play halo 3 while i will look forward in playing cod4 which will totaly pwn halo3

UT is fun, forza 2 is fun, mario, etc i can go on and on yet those games aint has overhyped as your beloved halo3.

you go play halo 3 while i will look forward in playing cod4 which will totaly pwn halo3

OMG DOO JOO PWND ESPO!!!!

COD4 looks like a good game. Halo and Halo 2 were both solid games. Halo 3 looks to be pretty good also. I guess you have to play the most elite game (in your frame of reference) so you can PWN. Grow up, kid.

Halo is fun. CoD4 looks fun, as do PC-only games like Crysis.

Seriously, this argument is fucking stupid. If you don't like Halo, good for you. That doesn't mean it's a bad game, it just means it doesn't cater to your personal tastes.

I guess I should start a Nintendogs thread and start ranting about how stupid everyone is who bought the game (all 15 million copies or whatever it has sold already).

Comparing video games is asinine. its like comparing books, Lord of the rings fuckin PWNS Harry Potter!...just STFU and read the damn books.

Halo is fun, people like it, FEAR is fun people like it, COD4 will probably be fun and people will like it. Daikatana was NOT a fun game and no one liked it.

get over yourself, play a game or don't play a game, shit its that simple.

Comparing video games is asinine. its like comparing books, Lord of the rings fuckin PWNS Harry Potter!...just STFU and read the damn books.

Halo is fun, people like it, FEAR is fun people like it, COD4 will probably be fun and people will like it. Daikatana was NOT a fun game and no one liked it.

get over yourself, play a game or don't play a game, shit its that simple.

Some people thought Daikatana was fun. How high is your horse?

compelling single player story
co-op gameplay
solid multiplayer gameplay
tons of marketing dollars

*that* is why its so popular.

Halo is fun. CoD4 looks fun, as do PC-only games like Crysis.

Seriously, this argument is fucking stupid. If you don't like Halo, good for you. That doesn't mean it's a bad game, it just means it doesn't cater to your personal tastes.

I guess I should start a Nintendogs thread and start ranting about how stupid everyone is who bought the game (all 15 million copies or whatever it has sold already).

You get the round of applause from me. I dont understand this thread besides it start a flaming war between the pro halo players and the halo haters. For what it worth, i have never got in to pc gaming, and i hated a game like "golden eye" besides its multiplayer. Halo made fps fun for consloes. It has a great story to go with the gameplay. Also the protagonist isnt an over the top type person, and you have allies to play with which contains smart AI. The enemy encounters are never boring, they are classic to me, and multiplayer gave halo 1 and 2 unlimited replayability.
Also marketing by ms is smart. This is the most popular game releasing this year, so you know it will the gears of war treatment times 5. As of now, this game is the king of console FPS, play halo 2 online and youll see why people are still playing it three years later. I have never played HL2, but im planning on getting the orange box when its released, but passing up halo 3 this year not to see how the "Great Journey" story ends will be sac religious. Dont compare this to a game like KZ2. The halo series earned its popularity and yes, it was the reason to buy an xbox and to subscribe to LIVE.

If you dont like the game, then thats fine. But dont compare this game to pc fps, because it not a pc fps.

You get the round of applause from me. I dont understand this thread besides it start a flaming war between the pro halo players and the halo haters. For what it worth, i have never got in to pc gaming, and i hated a game like "golden eye" besides its multiplayer. Halo made fps fun for consloes. It has a great story to go with the gameplay. Also the protagonist isnt an over the top type person, and you have allies to play with which contains smart AI. The enemy encounters are never boring, they are classic to me, and multiplayer gave halo 1 and 2 unlimited replayability.
Also marketing by ms is smart. This is the most popular game releasing this year, so you know it will the gears of war treatment times 5. As of now, this game is the king of console FPS, play halo 2 online and youll see why people are still playing it three years later. I have never played HL2, but im planning on getting the orange box when its released, but passing up halo 3 this year not to see how the "Great Journey" story ends will be sac religious. Dont compare this to a game like KZ2. The halo series earned its popularity and yes, it was the reason to buy an xbox and to subscribe to LIVE.

If you dont like the game, then thats fine. But dont compare this game to pc fps, because it not a pc fps.

halo never made fps fun for consoles, goldeneye did.

halo3 is just overrated imo, the reason why i am hating on it is because it gets more attention than other top quality fps games coming out, you dont hear a single word about crysis unless you browse the internet, yet halo3 is all over the place getting soo much praise has if its the best game ever made. its far from it

Back