Expert: Selfie Addiction May Cause Mental Illness

HardOCP News

[H] News
And we thought that it was the other way around. :D

Danny Bowman, a man diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder, explained that he grew suicidal due to his addiction taking selfies, Guardian Liberty Voice reported. Bowman shared that he would shoot about 200 pictures a day in an attempt to take the “right” selfie of himself. He also said that he would spend up to 10 hours a day taking selfies.

I think good old Danny boy has some other issues.....
Shame the article didn't list age, plus it was too short.

Must be a really ugly guy trying to score a date...

They do though, all the time. :( I keep telling my friends that they're not giving themselves enough credit and that they can do better, but you know, sometimes the hot guys are total jerks too. Being handsome is nice, but it's not as important as more meaningful stuff like sharing the same interests or having a good sense of humor if you're shopping.

Are these people retarded? Mentally ill people can obsess about things, such as selfies. That doesn't mean that normal healthy people become mentally ill.... *rolleyes*

Expert should live stream his ritual suicide to redeem himself.

This is what REALLY cracked me up: "Bowman’s parents, who are both mental health professionals"

So, basically both parents were touchy-feely shrinks and fucked their kid up.

I was always told that I'd go blind....

I really need to schedule my LASIK soon.

Never found out how old the guy was...

Either way -- he's certified nuts. And as a result is of little to no use to society. My first reaction? Dispose of him. 10 hours a day taking selfies? Sounds like mommy/daddy/spouse is enabling them by paying all their bills.

My personal stance on addiction/hobbies/etc.... as long as you are fulfilling your basic obligations/duties in life (paying bills, taking care of family, and taking care of yourself) than who gives a crap what you do. 10 hours a day? If he doesn't have a job he's already failed the obligations/duties part.

Seriously though -- if this is a 20-something that was raised in the "new age" of parenting. I.e. where you can't spank you kids, they didn't go outside and play, basically taught from birth that they were THE best at everything, and the world will always bend to your will. I can see why we have so many screwed up people these days. And by screwed up, i mean they need a good ass kicking to bring them back down to earth to our reality.

Drop this guy on a boat headed to India or South America, let him see how much he obsesses about himself and his pictures when he's trying to find clean water and eating bugs he finds on the ground to survive. The whole "no electricity" thing would solve his problem pretty quick.

Either way -- he's certified nuts. And as a result is of little to no use to society. My first reaction? Dispose of him. 10 hours a day taking selfies? Sounds like mommy/daddy/spouse is enabling them by paying all their bills.

My personal stance on addiction/hobbies/etc.... as long as you are fulfilling your basic obligations/duties in life (paying bills, taking care of family, and taking care of yourself) than who gives a crap what you do. 10 hours a day? If he doesn't have a job he's already failed the obligations/duties part.

Seriously though -- if this is a 20-something that was raised in the "new age" of parenting. I.e. where you can't spank you kids, they didn't go outside and play, basically taught from birth that they were THE best at everything, and the world will always bend to your will. I can see why we have so many screwed up people these days. And by screwed up, i mean they need a good ass kicking to bring them back down to earth to our reality.

Drop this guy on a boat headed to India or South America, let him see how much he obsesses about himself and his pictures when he's trying to find clean water and eating bugs he finds on the ground to survive. The whole "no electricity" thing would solve his problem pretty quick.

I agree 100%.

Bravo Sir!!!

I'd like to add my own opinion to this. It seems that kids due to twitter / Facebook / MySpace / Skype / facetime / whatever develop this sense that everything they say and/or feel is relevant due to the instant feedback they get from others... Not everything you say / think is relevant... (subtitled don't mean a dayom thing)... This leads to a bloated sense of importance as well as distorting their perception of events and interactions of not only themselves but others as well, as evidenced as above idiot (pending Darwin award runner up).

Not everything you say / post is important, needed, necessary, funny, interesting, life shaping, pertinent, worth hearing, have any impact, or have any sense of worth, but dammit, according to you it is because you have "xxxxx" followers, and post about it.

Add to this the whole trend of parents being their kids "BFF", as well as "heaven forbid" hurting their feelings, or make them realize that there things that people do better than you (can't use this as inspiration though.... can't let them fail or fall down)... Sigh... I really worry about this generation, and generations to come...

And I'm 38..... wtf......

Bravo Sir!!!

I'd like to add my own opinion to this. It seems that kids due to twitter / Facebook / MySpace / Skype / facetime / whatever develop this sense that everything they say and/or feel is relevant due to the instant feedback they get from others... Not everything you say / think is relevant... (subtitled don't mean a dayom thing)... This leads to a bloated sense of importance as well as distorting their perception of events and interactions of not only themselves but others as well, as evidenced as above idiot (pending Darwin award runner up).

Not everything you say / post is important, needed, necessary, funny, interesting, life shaping, pertinent, worth hearing, have any impact, or have any sense of worth, but dammit, according to you it is because you have "xxxxx" followers, and post about it.

Add to this the whole trend of parents being their kids "BFF", as well as "heaven forbid" hurting their feelings, or make them realize that there things that people do better than you (can't use this as inspiration though.... can't let them fail or fall down)... Sigh... I really worry about this generation, and generations to come...

And I'm 38..... wtf......

I'm 29 and I agree.

Expert: Selfie Addiction May Cause Mental Illness.

I don't see the problem.

:D

Whats wrong with today's society? They can't even get addiction right. Seriously how the hell do you screw up addiction? They couldn't get addicted to drugs or alcohol it had to be selfies...

Latter generations had The Great Depression, global warfare (twice), backbreaking manual labor, the Vietnam War, the Cold War... We have selfie addiction.

I'm in my mid 30's and can't agree more. Today's parents suck. When your babysitter is Jersey Shore, that's what you get. Play Dates? WTH is that, just go outside with a ball for a while, it's not rocket science.

Positive attention used to be earned by achievement. Today you have attendance rewards. Seriously, an award for showing up? Pretty soon they'll be giving out awards for eating your lunch, complete with bumper stickers that say: "My kid ate all his macaroni and cheese at Bell View Middle School".

Back