Expansion Cards in 5.25" drive bay?

grandmaster

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I've got a video capture card and an audio card that I'd like access to from the front panel of the PC. I'm wondering if there's some kind of mounting bracket that will allow me to mount these cards into a 5.25" drive bay or two, running flexible risers internally from the motherboard?

Any advice, much appreciated!

I guess there would be a PCI ribbon cable riser around somewhere, but maybe the additional distance would mess with latency and make it impossible.

Either way I think you'll have a really hard time and you're better off getting different hardware that you can access easier or just making due.

Best solution might be to just leave the side off the case so you can easily get at things or at least thumbscrews for the side panels.

Well, I just googled "pci ribbon cable riser" and they do exist. The problem would be they are only 2-3" in length. You could daisy chain them and post it in the ghetto mods section!

You can actually get the cables in lengths much longer than that. I've got one at 9" in my rig right now.

Back