Exchange & Outlook on 2 PCs

aaronearles

[H]ard|Gawd
Is it possible to use Outlook on two different computers, with one exchange server, and see the same thing on each one.

Say I send an email this morning from the office, then I want to revise/re-read that message later from home, if I host the .pst on the server on a mapped share, can I then read that message on my laptop in the "sent items" folder through a VPN?

Last time I tried I lost all my email so I thought I'd check this time first, but that was without hosting the pst which I believe was my problem.

Thanks for the help!

I have no idea, I dont know much about exchange. From what I can see through Outlook though is that my exchange account has a data file located in c:\docs and settings\aaron\...

Do I have it setup wrong?

Actually, now that i look again, it is saved as an .ost

You can do this with hosting a PST on a shared drive only as always make sure you only have one Outlook open since it will lock that file. We use PSTs to help reduce load on our exchange server. Of course we have roughly 3k accounts so we have to limit size on the exchange server anyway.

You shouldn't need VPN for outlook/exchange. The client can do RPC over http, the exchange server just needs a public IP.

While using .pst files is a good idea to reduce load on the server, keeping them out on a public share is risky.

Make sure you have the share permissions locked down. It is very easy to copy a .pst file and break the password on it, gaining access to all the mail kept inside of it. Tons of programs out there are capable of this, available to admins in case of .pst corruption, or user/password authentication problems.

Make a personal folder out on the share that only the user (and top administrators) has access to, and keep the .pst within that rights restricted folder.

Protect those .pst files, and the privacy of your users!

I've tried to stress this point many, many times at my company, but we still find random .pst files scattered about on the public shares. It is an on going battle to keep them secured.

Back