Exchange 2003 - OWA problem

Flapjack

2[H]4U
Hey everyone. I'm having a problem with OWA where when you log in, either normally or with forms-based authentication, it brings you to a page that shows all the user directories. From there, you can click on your name and it'll bring you to all your folders, not the ActiveX interface that you're used to seeing. Actually, it's even worse that that. It is simply a directory listing and that's all (see the screenshot below).

Pretty much all day yesterday I was working on the server trying to get a problem fixed with my file uploader which runs off CGI/PHP. It turned out to be a CGI timeout setting in IIS. I had to use the Metabase Explorer that comes with the IIS resource kit to add a DWORD value for CGI Timeout for the virtual directory that runs my uploader. I didn't touch the Exchange page in IIS, though.

Any ideas?

owa.jpg

Does it happen in IE as well? (screen shot looks like an other than IE browser)

If it does, maybe try it on a XP basic install (maybe IE7 did something?)

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried it on IE and FireFox, on multiple computers. It looks the same no matter what computer/browser you're running.

Yeah, that was my first thought, too. I wish it were that simple.....

Did it ever work properly, or did it break?

I take it Exchange is fully functional except for that?

I had a problem with one SBS2003 server where the OWA pages would not display properly.

The yahoo that setup the server thought he would lock down the pages in IIS. Since when he set it up they were not using Exchange & OWA, he thought it would be a great idea to restrict the IP addresses on the pages so that nobody could access them. It took me a little while to figure that one out when the customer wanted to run Exchange.

The symptoms on that were a bit different though. It worked partially, but the menus were garbled.

Check the basics, make sure all of the required services are running.

It's worked perfectly for years. Exchange is fully functional, there are no other problems.

Thanks for the suggestions. Who knows what it is.... I hate rebooting the DC, but I guess I will to be sure it's not a service or something.

You are awesome, that seems like the problem... but I'm still stuck.

I deleted the virtual directory (Step 1), restarted the system attendant (and all associated services), but can't go to Step 4 because the Exchange virtual directory is not being recreated!! Crap!

Flapjack said:
You are awesome, that seems like the problem... but I'm still stuck.

I deleted the virtual directory (Step 1), restarted the system attendant (and all associated services), but can't go to Step 4 because the Exchange virtual directory is not being recreated!! Crap!

Buried deep in KB 883380 (How to reset the default virtual directories that are required to provide Outlook Web Access, Exchange ActiveSync, and Outlook Mobile Access services in Exchange Server 2003) you find this:

Important If the virtual directories are not re-created after 15 minutes, restart your computer.

I've found they get recreated after just a couple of minutes, but you may need to wait for a bit longer. If not, restart as the KB suggests.

Ok. I gotta go to work. If it's not there by lunch, I'll reboot.

Thanks! Wish me luck!!

Back