Excel Data Protection

Oldie

Mean Old Administrator
I need to protect a worksheet, and lock the cells, but I've come across one problem. I have a few cells with drop down menus to select the content, and regardless of whether or not they're protected, you can still pull down the menu and change the value in the cell.

Is there any way to fix this?

I just tried this out on a sheet I have with cells that have data validation pull down lists. Is that what you are using? When I lock that cell and turn on protection, the user cannot select that cell nor change the contents and the pull down menu does not appear.

If you're using a combo box, you might have problems, but in-cell drop downs should lock like Met-AL said.

Met-AL said:
I just tried this out on a sheet I have with cells that have data validation pull down lists. Is that what you are using? When I lock that cell and turn on protection, the user cannot select that cell nor change the contents and the pull down menu does not appear.

Yeah, that is what I'm using. I wonder if I have to lock the source cells as well. Thanks for the feedback, at least I know it's supposed to work. If I can't get it, maybe I'll post it up so someone who excels in excel can have a peek.

Back