Exam prep tips for VCP5 certification

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I completed a VCP 5.5 certification course recently and need to sit for the exam now, haven't scheduled it yet. I've gone over the Blueprint but I still feel like I'm not 100% prepared and not sure why. Perhaps its because I've read of other people using things like braindumps to supplement the coursework in order to pass. I'm not sure if those are worth pursuing, or which sources of braindumps are reputable, and I realize they're sort of a grey area that some frown upon anyway.

Really I just want to make sure I'm fully brushed up, so if anyone that's passed VCP5 has any other tips or recommended reading, I'd really appreciate it!

I think brain dumps are cheating, pure and simple. Like, looking over the smart kid in class taking the test is a "gray" area.

I never felt entirely prepared for any exam I've taken. If you fail it, it isn't he end of the world. You may lose a little bit of money, but don't lose your integrity in the process. You can retake the exam and you'll have a good idea of what to study for the next attempt.

There's nothing gray about using braindumps. Do you want to pass the exam based on your own skills, or do you want to cheat your way through it? That's your choice to make.

Go over the blueprint, rate your confidence with each topic on a scale of 1-5. Review the topics where you feel you need to improve. Repeat until you're comfortable then take the test. Or just go take the test..

I hear people try and justify braindumps as that extra little bit of study material, figure what the questions are really like, etc.. But, they are cheating, plain and simple. You can study for the SAT, too. But, if you study using the actual questions, it's cheating. I'd stay far, far away from them.

Besides, you want to learn the material, not memorize questions and answers. Just set a date (or even schedule a date for the exam). Set the goal. Then, study your ass off. You'll never be ready, you'll never feel 100% prepared. But, go over the blueprints, take practice exams, etc.. You'll learn what's on test and then some.

At my job, I see people that have used braindumps (CCNA and MCSE) and it really shows. They know the answers to simple questions, but when they have to apply it they start failing. Don't be that guy. :)

I've found 3 resources helpful:
- "Mastering VMware vSphere" (e)books
- videos from VMware and community on YouTube (I used them to review some features I wasn't able to lab by myself because of time and technical constrains)
- VMware Hands-On labs - http://labs.hol.vmware.com/HOL/catalogs/catalog/123

I also think it is good to review some sample questions available on the Internet (there is even practice test on VMware site) to get used to form and language, however I agree that 'braindumps' are bad, because makes no sense to just learn Q&As without good understanding how things really work.

I also don't feel 100% prepared any time I'm taking exam, but it's enough to be ~60% prepared to pass ;)

Back