Exact same hardware - Duplicating Hard Drive with OS Installed

KuJaX

[H]F Junkie
When you have a bunch of computers with the EXACT same hardware, how do you duplicate the hard drives so that you don't have to go through the entire process of formatting, installing software, patches, etc?

Basically I need to assume that there is a special way so that you can input the appropriate Windows CD key for each machine. Do you have to use sysprep? And then a ghosting software like Acronis or Norton Ghost?

Basic rundown:
*Have four identical machines that need to even be identical (other than CD key) software wise.

*I would like to activate the primary "source" image so that it is activated and validated to install all of Windows XP updates, including IE7

*I then need to have the above "source" hard drive duplicated to the other three hard drives, without any conflict with Microsoft (will need to change CD-Key for the other three Windows instances)

To do what you want to do you need to use sysprep.

With sysprep you get into the audit mode which will allow you to install programs, updates, etc. all without ever activating.

Then, you need to repackage the drive (its one of the sysprep options) and then ghost it to the other drives.

Note that after repackaging the drive you will not be able to edit it in audit mode anymore because when you turn on the drive it will be in the OBE (Out of Box Experience) which is where you type in the user name, computer name, key, etc.

You should be able to find some info on MS's site about sysprep as it is widely used and made for exactly what you want to do.

I use it at work all the time, except we have some special XP images for what we do, so I cannot give you step by step for the standard XP and sysprep.

basically :>

build one machine exactly how you want it
run sysprep (below is the options I use for the same pc type images)
ghost or acronis the image to a server/external usb drive

- run ghost/acronis and pull the image onto the other PC's, boot up, enter activation info, name, etc, and you should be all set

C:
cd sysprep
sysprep.exe -quiet -forceshutdown -reseal -mini

I put the above in a .CMD file in the C:\Sysprep folder (along with the INF file and Sysprep.exe), run it and it does what it needs to, then shuts down

Back