Evolve Going Free-To-Play

HardOCP News

[H] News
Word has it that Turtle Rock Studios' game Evolve is going free-to-play. Blue's News rounded up all the pertinent details, linking a post from the Turtle Rock forums that laid out the plans for the game as it moves forward. Here's a snippet:

Here’s how it’s going to work: We’re going to make Evolve free on PC as a Beta starting on July 7. This is going to allow us to hit our new server infrastructure really hard and we need your help testing. Stuff could break, and that’s our hope, because that will give us time to improve things as we go. We’ll parse out major Beta revisions, updates and features over a period of weeks and months -- a plan we're going to continually communicate here. This allows us to test new features and major changes to make our game more accessible and ever closer to the joy we saw when we first showed our baby to the world. Just as importantly, this Beta plan gives us the flexibility and time we need to keep fixing bugs and making Evolve more stable.

I bet this pisses off anyone who ever bought this thing. They got nickle and dimed from the start and now all that cash they shelled out is for naught.

I bet this pisses off anyone who ever bought this thing. They got nickle and dimed from the start and now all that cash they shelled out is for naught.

Hasn't this game been dead for many months?

I bet Left 4 Dead 2 is still more active than this game. It's too bad they followed up L4D with this game, rather than another truly competitive game.

Hasn't this game been dead for many months?

Yes.
Evolve - Steam Charts

I played it for a total of 120 hours and loved the game. But their price model was absolutely horrible and that coupled with a steep learning curve pushed people away. They pretty much ignored the issues and killed the community. It came out Feb '15. No one cares about the game anymore, this is too little too late.

Anytime I tried to play there was almost no one in queue and people would just ditch if they couldnt be the monster.

It doesn't look like this had THAT big of a player base to begin with. Massive drop off after the first month too. ~9k down to ~800.

At least now they may get someone to play with. :D

are you kidding me ? they put the game on discount during steam summer sale, knowing that they are gonna make it F2P few days later ! what kind of crap is this ?

most non-mainstream games don't get the millions like their counter parts. 30K is a decent start

Looks like they sold around 500k units which is pretty solid. It's their retention (due to really dumb DLC) that inevitably sunk them. I'll check it out as F2P because I liked what I saw in the betas.

Looks like they sold around 500k units which is pretty solid. It's their retention (due to really dumb DLC) that inevitably sunk them. I'll check it out as F2P because I liked what I saw in the betas.
I think the game was completely dead after 2 months on PC. I think there were around 20,000 players online at any given time within the first 3-4 days. The player count was literally cut in half after the first week and fell to around 10% of initial numbers after the first month. I did think it was a lot of fun while it lasted. 2K really fucked this game over with their greed.

Hopefully they give those of us that bought it some compensation. I'm sure the F2P model will require you to grind to unlock or purchase new characters and monsters. Sadly, as much as I liked this game, the community for it died long ago. The idea of a good 4 v 1 game has always appealed to me. Gameplay-wise, this one did it well. Sadly, they were all about nickle and dimeing people to death. Between those two reasons, I had a hard time continuing to play when every other game people dropped cause they couldn't play the monster or the class they wanted.

Maybe making F2P will revive a dead game. I almost hope so.

I bet Left 4 Dead 2 is still more active than this game. It's too bad they followed up L4D with this game, rather than another truly competitive game.

Huh? I didn't buy it because it looked nothing like L4D. I would classify tank fights as the most boring part of the game.

Huh? I didn't buy it because it looked nothing like L4D. I would classify tank fights as the most boring part of the game.

If you think tank fights are the most boring part, then you should check out some custom servers. Gravity tank, shield tank, smasher tank, etc. should liven things up a bit.

Hopefully they give those of us that bought it some compensation. I'm sure the F2P model will require you to grind to unlock or purchase new characters and monsters. Sadly, as much as I liked this game, the community for it died long ago. The idea of a good 4 v 1 game has always appealed to me. Gameplay-wise, this one did it well. Sadly, they were all about nickle and dimeing people to death. Between those two reasons, I had a hard time continuing to play when every other game people dropped cause they couldn't play the monster or the class they wanted.

Maybe making F2P will revive a dead game. I almost hope so.
Take a stroll over to the PC Gaming subforum. Thanks to cageymaru.

EVoLVE Official Thread
What Founder's Status in Evolve Stage 2 means.
Steam Community :: Group Announcements :: Evolve

For those at work who can't see links.

Founders Status in Evolve Stage 2
JULY 7 - GRIMM
With the launch of Evolve Stage 2 as a Free title on Steam, we did not want to forget the players who believed in Turtle Rock Studios from the very beginning and supported Evolve when we first launched back in February 2015. When returning Steam players login to Evolve Stage 2 for the first time, they will be granted ‘Founders Status’. This includes a number of bonus items and continued exclusive unlocks as we continue to update Evolve Stage 2. Below is a breakdown of what it means to be a Founder in Evolve Stage 2.

What is a Founder?
Any player who previously owned Evolve on Steam and bought any DLC content such as skins or characters will have all paid content carry over into Evolve Stage 2. Not only do you get all your old content, Founders will get exclusive badges, skins and other cosmetic items as we continue to update Evolve Stage 2 in the weeks to come.

What do Founders get on Launch Day?
All content currently available for Founders is detailed below:
  • 3,000 Silver Keys, all past and future Adaptations for previously owned Hunters and Monsters, dozens of Weapon Skins, and four unique, animated Founder badges.
  • If you owned any Hunters, Monsters, or Skins previously, those will be carried over to Evolve Stage 2.

Future Founder Content
As a further show of our appreciation to our Founders, we’ll continue to add new Founder exclusive cosmetic items and Adaptations that our Founders will get as soon as they launch.

Thanks again for being a supporter of Evolve, we can’t wait to see you back on Shear.

For more information about Evolve Stage 2, please also check out:

capturefounders1.jpg

capturefounders2.jpg

There is a small but strong community that continues to play Evolve.
PS4 > PC > One in terms of players is 'the word on the street'.
If only there was cross-platform play, that would really help keep the game alive.

I'm glad I held off on purchasing this game, have been debating it a lot lately when on sales for <$10, but now for free on PC? Sign me up!

This game had so much potential, I see Dead by Daylight as a spiritual successor to Evolve.

There is a small but strong community that continues to play Evolve.
PS4 > PC > One in terms of players is 'the word on the street'.
If only there was cross-platform play, that would really help keep the game alive.

I'm glad I held off on purchasing this game, have been debating it a lot lately when on sales for <$10, but now for free on PC? Sign me up!

This game had so much potential, I see Dead by Daylight as a spiritual successor to Evolve.
Dead by Daylight does look like a lot of fun. I like how they balanced the killer and victims. I just don't think there is enough content there even for $20. Going by the streams I've watched it also looks like it wasn't ready to come out of early access yet.

The idea of a good 4 v 1 game has always appealed to me. Gameplay-wise, this one did it well.

I would say this game did it okay. Besides the idiotic DLC scheme, the gameplay often devolved into running around in a circle for 20 minutes until the monster leveled up enough to actually face the hunters. That, coupled with balancing issues regarding trappers and medics, made for a frustrating experience outside of the whole DLC thing.

Sounds like they are working on at least the balancing issues in F2P though, so we'll see. I'll probably give it a try.

Back