VanGoghComplex
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Apr 5, 2016
- Messages
- 2,286
So I just dropped a few GTs in the front of my Evolv to try and overcome the awful restriction in the front end. As soon as I powered it up, I heard the nasty-awful noise of a plastic fan hub rubbing on intake filter at about a billion RPM.
I took the front filter off and looked it over. The mesh material, while secured well to the plastic frame, was kinda saggy, like it hadn't been pulled taut before adhesion.
I thought the mesh must be made of some kind of plastic, and that if I heated it a tiny bit I could kinda "dome" it out in the other direction so it wouldn't hit the fan hub. I accidentally discovered something far better.
If you run this mesh stuff a few inches over a heat gun on low, for like half a second and no longer I'm not kidding, it pulls itself taut as a trampoline. Go any longer at all and you'll start to see the mesh discolor (it turns darker black). I'm guessing that's the beginning stages of it melting. Luckily I didn't ruin my front intake, but it was a near miss.
After treating the whole intake filter, I popped it back in and no more noise! Every little square of the mesh stuff is nice and taut, and doesn't even come close to the fans.
I took the front filter off and looked it over. The mesh material, while secured well to the plastic frame, was kinda saggy, like it hadn't been pulled taut before adhesion.
I thought the mesh must be made of some kind of plastic, and that if I heated it a tiny bit I could kinda "dome" it out in the other direction so it wouldn't hit the fan hub. I accidentally discovered something far better.
If you run this mesh stuff a few inches over a heat gun on low, for like half a second and no longer I'm not kidding, it pulls itself taut as a trampoline. Go any longer at all and you'll start to see the mesh discolor (it turns darker black). I'm guessing that's the beginning stages of it melting. Luckily I didn't ruin my front intake, but it was a near miss.
After treating the whole intake filter, I popped it back in and no more noise! Every little square of the mesh stuff is nice and taut, and doesn't even come close to the fans.