EVGA Z87 Stinger mini ITX motherboard $150 AR

I saw this today too. No built in Wifi is kind of a bummer.

Warning, this motherboard is a pile of shit. 3 bought for my clients, all 3 were defective in some manner.

EVGA is a crap company for motherboards. Anyone remember their horrible 775 series boards?

EVGA fails when it comes to motherboards. I would avoid.

EVGA fails when it comes to motherboards. I would avoid.

That's interesting. I had really good luck with my last evga motherboard which was a socket 939...guess that was a while. That's a bummer because this SEEMS like it is a good board. 3 for 3 being defective is a no no....

That's interesting. I had really good luck with my last evga motherboard which was a socket 939...guess that was a while. That's a bummer because this SEEMS like it is a good board. 3 for 3 being defective is a no no....

That's because they lost their MB team to Sapphire right around the time the AMD X2/Intel Core 2 series were coming out. They went from having a top notch team to scrambling to fill their team with the C squad.

That's because they lost their MB team to Sapphire right around the time the AMD X2/Intel Core 2 series were coming out. They went from having a top notch team to scrambling to fill their team with the C squad.

Yep, that's the story alright. I used to buy EVGA mobos but lately I'm back to Asus.

Actually it was after X58.. The X58 classified was definitely one of the best of that generation. That said I would stay away from this unless it hit $100-120. In this price range I would go with the asrock Z87e ITX. I have had very good luck with mine.

I take that back. My main rig has an X58 that I purchased refurbished5 years ago and its solid. Still using and no sign of failure...

EVGA has not been a reputable mobo company since the classified days. Thankfully my E759 is still running strong.

Actually it was after X58.. The X58 classified was definitely one of the best of that generation. That said I would stay away from this unless it hit $100-120. In this price range I would go with the asrock Z87e ITX. I have had very good luck with mine.

X58 dropped in November 2008. I am 99.5% sure they lost their top talent in late 2007 or early 2008 (at the latest)...Now it is entirely possible they already had some of X58 boards designed since Intel had demo'ed working systems @ IDF in 2007, and would have already had early silicon to the OEM partners. I recall reading horror stories about quite a few of their X58 boards..The problem wasn't the hardware, it was the loss of their main BIOS Guru that REALLY hurt them. Some of those X58 boards needed 5~6+ releases (and I'm not talking to improve performance/tuning/memory) just to be stable enough to boot and install Windows.

I certainly miss seeing Abit and Epox in the market today. I feel like Asus has grown too big for their own good (just look at the RMA horror stories) despite producing very good to great boards. The issue for me is the 3 to 4 month wait you may be forced to endure unless you make a thread here and we unleash the [H]orde on 'em..

I certainly miss seeing Abit and Epox in the market today. I feel like Asus has grown too big for their own good (just look at the RMA horror stories) despite producing very good to great boards. The issue for me is the 3 to 4 month wait you may be forced to endure unless you make a thread here and we unleash the [H]orde on 'em..

Bring back Abit! I had an EVGA 775 board die on me and was flaky from the start. Also have had a EVGA GTX570 display artifacts not long after purchase. Those are the only two EVGA items I have ever owned.

You are 100% right about ASUS. They are no longer the high quality company they once were. Their motherboards are nothing special anymore and they make garbage laptops. We had a customer bring in one of their laptops with complaints of a loose A/C plug. When we took it apart it was obviously a bad design with the A/C plug soldered in a place where the board would flex when pressure was applied to the plug. Eventually it will work itself loose. Worse yet, it was a very poorly done manual solder job. At first I thought the plug had broken before and that someone had repaired it, but the customer said this was not the case.

It was a mystery until someone else brought in the same model laptop with the same complaint. We took it apart and found the same solder job on the A/C plug. My best guess is that they realized the design was poor and retroactively (and hastily) added more solder to those points to strengthen it.

Good ol' Abit, I still have a nforce1 board running. I picked up an asrock z87e itx myself, seems decent but I've not yet done anything with it. Msata port on the bottom of the board is something new.

Back