EVGA X58 3X SLI Sneak Peek

Ever notice how Kyle just spins these new motherboards around on that table? No static cloth or strap for him! I guess if the hardware withstands his punishment, its truly [H]ardcore!

:D

No kidding. The first time I saw him spin MB's around like that I was like :eek:.

Why would they keep a legacy ps/2 port?

There are still the occasional issues of certain USB keyboards not working with certain motherboards outside of Windows. One example is the Razer keyboards not working on MSI 750a boards.

the biostar board boasts 16/16/4 on their website

The MSI Eclipse also does 16/16/4.

Probably doesn't mean anything, but I'm kind of surprised by populating the 'green' slots first. In the past, it seems we always populated the DIMM slot closest to the CPU first (i.e., the black slots here). :confused: Maybe the IMC changes that?

The MSI and Intel boards are both like that too, so I'm thinking it is determined either through chipset or CPU, since that's common across the bunch.

EVGA has been releasing new bios revisions with fixes and added features every few days atm. Averaging probably 1-3 a week.

Translation: You guys paid to beta test for them. :rolleyes:

Purely academic interest but, any preliminary word if they think this will be possible with a bios update?

Yes, this is a priority right now for EVGA and the mem multipliers will be unlocked via BIOS updates as soon as we are able to implement them. :)

Yes, this is a priority right now for EVGA and the mem multipliers will be unlocked via BIOS updates as soon as we are able to implement them. :)

Cool cool. Any chance of a Bios update to let the 780i have a minus GTLVREF?

Cool cool. Any chance of a Bios update to let the 780i have a minus GTLVREF?

I'll work with the project managers to see if this is in the works, but usually on a reference board like the 780i id expect it to be more of an Nvidia question unless you are referring to the FTW edition. But currently, i do not know of any such updates.

I'll work with the project managers to see if this is in the works, but usually on a reference board like the 780i id expect it to be more of an Nvidia question unless you are referring to the FTW edition. But currently, i do not know of any such updates.

Yeah, was afraid of that. Thanks anyways. :)

Oh, and make sure you talk to Kyle to get the Snazy "EVGA REP" as your title.

Oh, and make sure you talk to Kyle to get the Snazy "EVGA REP" as your title.

I dont think kyle cares about me being an official EVGA rep since i was a member of the forums first ;) :)

But he does want me to have it in my sig that im biased towards EVGA :p :)

I've looked at all the current X58 boards, and this one seems to be the most logical choice if you use SLI and have a PCI sound card.

I've looked at all the other boards. The Gigabyte boards won't allow a PCI X-Fi card + SLI, the cheaper ASUS board won't accomidate Triple-SLI, and I don't know a thing about MSI as a MB company...............so this board really has my attention. I realize that if I do go triple SLi I won't be able to use the X-Fi.

I want to use my X-Fi card if I can, I don't need all the bells and whistles on the Rampage board, I want to be confident in a stable OC.......the only thing about evga boards that concerns me at all is the BIOS upgrade method of burning an .iso to a CD............I wish they would use a thumb drive solution like ASUS or Gigabyte.

just waiting on a full x58 EVGA review before pulling the trigger on it or the Ausus p6t....

just waiting on a full x58 EVGA review before pulling the trigger on it or the Ausus p6t....

you're tellin' me, brother. i've had all my components for my build for two weeks now besides the mobo and the h2o vs air cooling...

wow magoo, you upgrading again? haha

Yes.
Had an X48, loved it but the ATI Crossfire drivers drove me nuts.
Sold the X48 and my two 4870 X2s.
Now I have an older 780i board and two GTX 280s.
I love the 280s but the Striker II Formula just isnt my cup of tea.

So what the hell.:D

Once I decide on the best X58 board............the Striker will go up for sale, cheap.:eek:

I finally read the anand X58 writeup. They do seem to have some valid points and document the level of turn around grind with the IHV needed just to get the boards up and running. I've encountered the QA issues they talk about on new boards frequently. ASUS shipped bios for the A8N that killed RAID boot. They just for got to build the bios in the proper manner and didn't bother testing.

How many bios revs and bug reports did the [H] crew go through before their x58 boards worked OK? I'd like to know.

Now, maybe evga is better. I know I NEVER buy an Asus board right at launch. My EVGA 680i rig had the reference design flawed layout, and you couldn't bolt an after market cooler with a back plate to it. S3 modes were mostly broken, and when they did work the NIC would be dead after the resume.

I finally read the anand X58 writeup. They do seem to have some valid points and document the level of turn around grind with the IHV needed just to get the boards up and running. I've encountered the QA issues they talk about on new boards frequently. ASUS shipped bios for the A8N that killed RAID boot. They just for got to build the bios in the proper manner and didn't bother testing.

How many bios revs and bug reports did the [H] crew go through before their x58 boards worked OK? I'd like to know.

Now, maybe evga is better. I know I NEVER buy an Asus board right at launch. My EVGA 680i rig had the reference design flawed layout, and you couldn't bolt an after market cooler with a back plate to it. S3 modes were mostly broken, and when they did work the NIC would be dead after the resume.

I liked the Anand write-up as well; but those guys whine too much.
New stuff always is a little flaky, you either put up with it or wait a while.
Look at how many BIOS revisions there are already for the EVGA X58......
In my experience with Gigabyte, they seem to have the least.
ASUS always has a number of fixes on their boards as well.

There is now a BETA BIOS for the 1600, so if you cant wait for a finalized bios i would suggest getting this. But if you can wait, then id suggest waiting as its so new that i haven't heard much about it.

This BETA BIOS is ONLY for the EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard (part number 132-BL-E758-XX)

**Notice** This BETA BIOS flash will reset all BIOS options back to defaults. Please note that this is a BETA BIOS and is not intended as a production release.

SZ1A BETA 1 Updates:

* Adds memory support for 1333MHz, 1600MHz, 1866MHz, 2133MHz, 2400MHz, 2667MHz, 2933MHz, 3200MHz, 3467MHz, 3733MHz, 4000MHz (2:10, 2:12, 2:14, 2:16, 2:18, 2:20, 2:22, 2:24, 2:26, 2:28, 2:30)
* Enables support for these memory speeds on all retail CPU's (920, 940, 965)

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=672252

Well, got the new Beta bios that allows 1600 with the 920, as well as other RAM settings. Worked, but did no stress testing on it. As I was getting that done, EVGA sent me the new public bios with this support and I went to flash the board in windows (could never get dos flash to work) and the board BSOD'd in the middle of the flash. Hmmmm. Would not POST, but Award BIOS sees that the BIOS checksum is fubar and gives you the option to boot from floppy to reflash the board, but no floppy header on the board, but one is identified.

Sorry to hear about that kyle, just weird that they didnt put in other options like cd or flash drive to recover the bios to repair it.

seems like you are cursed with this board mr bennett.

Maybe not as cursed as both you and I think. ;)

Hi Kyle,

Actually we have seen that BSOD occur on some system configurations before, that is why we removed it from our site for the time being until we can correct it, it did not have anything to do with the 1600MHz speed.

We have not seen any stability issues with 1600MHz yet.

Sorry to hear about that kyle, just weird that they didnt put in other options like cd or flash drive to recover the bios to repair it.

I think this is more of an Award deal rather than an EVGA, but bottom line is that ASUS smokes everyone elses' ass when it comes to BIOS updates. Gigabyte is a close second.

I agree with Kyle - Gigabyte does BIOS updates very well, and even though in one update I managed to chew through the main and backup BIOS (power failure in concurrent phases), the board recovered well and was running in no time. Thumbs up to Gigabyte. The only bad thing, and I find this with every manufacturer, is the slow download speed of their websites. Even though I am in Australia, it can't be that hard to get a server working faster than 2KB/s.

I just put together a new rig using this board, and I have to say I am quite impressed with it. It has been rock stable, and a good overclocker. The only thing that made me want to break it in half is the stupid placement of the 8pin cpu power connector.

Any update information youd like to add on using your new board? I am looking at ordering this board tomorrow morning from the Egg.... thanks

There is a new BIOS update that was released yesterday.

EVGA said:
This BIOS is ONLY for the EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard (part number 132-BL-E758-XX)

SZ1C Updates:

* Improved QPI Frequency Overclock
* Improved Memory Overclock
* Improved S3 Resume
* Improved 965 Multiplier Support
* Improved System Bootup at High overclock (system will post slightly slower at higher frequencies)

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=701080

Its good to see bugs getting ironed out. I'll be ordering one of these boards next week :cool:.

Any update information youd like to add on using your new board? I am looking at ordering this board tomorrow morning from the Egg.... thanks

I got my second board from the egg on Christmas eve, man I love this board.
It has been slicker than slick and took no effort to OC the 920 to 3.8 GHz.
Here's the quick magoo review if you are interested:http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1379102

BUY ONE.:D

(dude, where's my shirt???:eek:)

I bought this board on the 23rd and got it in a couple of days ago. Sadly, still waiting for my case, memory, and a copy of Vista 64-bit to be sent before I can build my computer. The board and everything else I have at the moment are teasing me to no end! I love how easy it is to overclock with this board (even though I have not found out for myself, I am taking Kyle's word for it :)).

Just pulled the trigger on this board with 6GB of Corsair DDR3, a i7 920 and a TRUE 120 1366 package.

So I have this board and had a wierd thing happen. I installed everthing with stock coolers just to make sure everything worked, which it did. Went in and the only thing I changed was the Raid setup. Intel PWR savings all off and Vdroop off. Saved it in my first slot. Booted to Windows and checked everything out. Vcore was at 1.25v. Then I pulled it apart to install my W/C setup. Got all that done and fired it back up the next day with the same settings and my Vcore is at 1.16v. Both are being set by the board. Anyone else have this happen? Any ideas?

Does this board support intel matrix storage?

I'll look into that for you just to be sure. But to my knowledge it should because its got an intel SB and NB and as long as you dont use the jmicron controller you should be okay. :)

Back