EVGA supernova 1000p2 replacement

FearTheCow

Supreme [H]ardness
So I made the mistake of buying an EVGA product, the supernova 1000P2 on 12/5/21 to be exact. The middle of January I noticed an intermittent high pitched whine coming from the case and finally narrowed it down to the PSU fan everytime it spins up.

What are some actual quality PSU's in the 1k watt range?

In case you are wondering, yes I am going to RMA this piece of shit, but with it being my first EVGA product and it having problems in less than 60 days, I don't trust the brand.

Edit: I am slightly annoyed at the situation.

Last edited:
Seasonic
I currently have an older EVGA 1050 watt PSU in my spare gaming PC, not sure who the OEM is for it though.

The quality of the PSU has little impact on coil whine. I had 850w Platinum Seasonic coil whine. I also had cheapo 550w have no coil whine.

The EVGA 1000w P2 is a platinum rated Super Flower re-branded PSU. (one of the best you can get)

I'd utilize the EVGA warranty and they'll ship you a new PSU while you continue using the current one. (Then obv, you ship them back the faulty unit)

GREAT support, those guys

Then RMA it. It is just as likely to happen with any other brand. EVGA at least stands behind their products and will more then likely replaces. No reason to get so upset about it.
100% agreed. They will likely fix it or send you a replacement.

Here is my problem with their "great" warranty, I either have to give EVGA money to hold onto for who knows how long to cross ship or I have to buy a new PSU while this one is being replaced.

The kicker is this PSU didn't even make it 30 days of use before having a problem, so my experience with EVGA at this point is their quality is poor and they make you pay for their warranty one way or another.

Edit: Seriously, I believe EVGA to be a quality brand at this point and want nothing to do with what I believe to be shoddy products. I believe my time and money would be better spent buying an actual quality PSU.

Last edited:
Here is my problem with their "great" warranty, I either have to give EVGA money to hold onto for who knows how long to cross ship or I have to buy a new PSU while this one is being replaced.

The kicker is this PSU didn't even make it 30 days of use before having a problem, so my experience with EVGA at this point is their quality is poor and they make you pay for their warranty one way or another.

Edit: Seriously, I believe EVGA to be a quality brand at this point and want nothing to do with what I believe to be shoddy products. I believe my time and money would be better spent buying an actual quality PSU.
That's why it's always good to keep a back up PSU imo.

Jesus fucking Christ. You get a dud unit and the brand is dead too you. Shit happens man. It is a quality unit. You not going to get as good as EVGA's RMA turn around from another company. You are acting like EVGA broke into your house and kicked your dog.

Jesus fucking Christ. You get a dud unit and the brand is dead too you. Shit happens man. It is a quality unit. You not going to get as good as EVGA's RMA turn around from another company. You are acting like EVGA broke into your house and kicked your dog.

For the record, EVGA shipped me a G3 when my G2 was exhibiting coil-whine and they didn't charge me a dime.

Shipped it to me while I still had the old G2 in my PC & included a UPS shipping label when it came time to send back the old unit.

EVGA's warranty is impeccable and Super Flower -based PSU's are top tier. (changing brands/spending money in your situation is.... not the smart move here)

Contact EVGA, have them ship you a new P2, and enjoy!

So here's my problem, when I go to start an RMA I have 2 options.

1) Buy a new PSU while I wait for the RMA.

2) Give EVGA money to hold onto to do a cross swap RMA.

Either way I have to spend money, and if I have to spend money to use EVGA's warranty AND have a functioning computer I am just going to go with another brand.

First impressions are important, and my first impression is EVGA and their warranty to be shit since I have to pay to use it (even if temporarily).

So here's my problem, when I go to start an RMA I have 2 options.

1) Buy a new PSU while I wait for the RMA.

2) Give EVGA money to hold onto to do a cross swap RMA.

Either way I have to spend money, and if I have to spend money to use EVGA's warranty AND have a functioning computer I am just going to go with another brand.

First impressions are important, and my first impression is EVGA and their warranty to be shit since I have to pay to use it (even if temporarily).
They do not keep the money you send them during he cross shipment. And this is almost industry standard. So I am thinking you are either trolling or you are the .000001% of people that just aren't happy with any product.

So you got a dud. They ship tens of thousands of these units, which by the way are made by one of the absolute best top tier PSU manufacturers who have been making them for decades. I'd even wager the failure point was a third party fan company, not Superflower and def not eVga.

Any warranty has stipulations. They are not a blanket promise to send you a new product for free.

If you are so inconvenienced by this, then learn a lesson. Have a spare PSU. They are valuable for testing and trouble shooting and even better to have if something random happens to your unit. Problem solved.

"But I'll have to spend money on a spare"........ I can already see the response.

They do not keep the money you send them during he cross shipment. And this is almost industry standard. So I am thinking you are either trolling or you are the .000001% of people that just aren't happy with any product.

So you got a dud. They ship tens of thousands of these units, which by the way are made by one of the absolute best top tier PSU manufacturers who have been making them for decades. I'd even wager the failure point was a third party fan company, not Superflower and def not eVga.

Any warranty has stipulations. They are not a blanket promise to send you a new product for free.

If you are so inconvenienced by this, then learn a lesson. Have a spare PSU. They are valuable for testing and trouble shooting and even better to have if something random happens to your unit. Problem solved.

"But I'll have to spend money on a spare"........ I can already see the response.
EVGA is the first PSU I have ever had an issue with, sucks to be me, doesn't change the fact that my first EVGA product didn't make it 2 months without issues and I have to pay to have it replaced.

So my experience with EVGA is they suck. Your experience may be different, and that's great.

You EVGA fans can keep talking up EVGA amd their pay to use warranty, it doesn't change the fact that my experience with them at this point is shit.

Then..... do whatever you want.

I've had nothing but spectacular warranty service from EVGA on multiple occasions (graphics card = free upgrade from 980 Ti to a 1080 / 650W G2 to 650W G3)

But hey, at this point it's pretty obvious you've made up your mind sooooo yea. Go to town?

That's why I asked for recommendations on other PSU's in the 1k watt range.

Anyone who loves EVGA, good for you, that's your experience, so far my experience is shit and is not the same as yours. So instead of trying to force feed me your experience, accept that mine so far is bad and I don't want to deal with what I see as a shit brand.

Edit: If you used a brand for the first time and had what you consider a poor experience, I'm pretty sure you would be looking to at other brands yourselves.

I am also not saying maybe EVGA somehow does something to make me rethink my current position and I too will have good things to say about them.

EVGA is the first PSU I have ever had an issue with, sucks to be me, doesn't change the fact that my first EVGA product didn't make it 2 months without issues and I have to pay to have it replaced.

So my experience with EVGA is they suck. Your experience may be different, and that's great.

You EVGA fans can keep talking up EVGA amd their pay to use warranty, it doesn't change the fact that my experience with them at this point is shit.
evga fan? I do not own any evga products nor do I care for them.

Pointing out the obvious about any product is not an endorsement. You got a dud, have it replaced and move on with it. Get it back and sell it. In the mean time, if you want an alternative there is always the Seasonic Platinum line.

*But* be aware they most likely will have one product in thousands that has a defect.

I mean P2, G2, etc are already top shelf parts.

No, not because of EVGA. That'd be silly. The Super Flower quality is what matters in them.

So idk, I guess SeaSonic, or buy a SF psu directly. I'd like to think the higher end Corsair lines are still good (though those are just relabled as well, so pay attention to who actually makes it). You just got unlucky, it happens. Carrying a spare PSU is always a must, however.

This dude is acting like the PSU blew up and destroyed his system, burned down his house with his kids and wife in it. The PSU fan started making a little whining noise... If you think EVGA RMA policies are unacceptable then I can't wait til I hear your experiences with others. You don't have to pay EVGA for RMA. I had to front $1800 on my 3080 RMA. Guess what I put it on my CC and the charge was removed the following business day after they received it. They paid for my return shipping label. I was out $0 from the RMA. Most companies make you pay to ship it back. I feel you won't be satisfied with anything short of them hand delivering you a replacement same day. Your anger is Irrational.

Last edited:
If you did your homework the first time around you would already know who the best players in the 1000w platinum tier are. Sounds like you're just firing away is all.
We buy from companies like evga and seasonic so we don't get bent over when there IS a problem. Painfree RMAs are worth their weight in gold in my experience.

My bad for wanting a product that works correctly and to not have to spend money when said product is defective within 60 days and I go to warranty it.

Know what i have gotten from this thread? A lot of people seem to have problems with EVGA products and yet are happy because of the "great" warranty.

Thanks for confirming that EVGA isn't a very good brand when it comes down to it, I knew there was a reason I hadn't purchased one of their products before.

Edit: Turns out EVGA is so awesome they need me to provide proof that I bought this PSU from their store since they dont have a record of it it looks like. This is definitely some world class and pain free warranty experience!

But like I said, maybe I should lower my expectations on how getting a correctly working product should work.

Last edited:
It's like reading comprehension has gone out the window.

I have already explained that my experience with my first EVGA product has been subpar and as such I do not have a favorable attitude towards them.

So why the fuck would I continue to do business with a company that gave me an unfavorable initial impression?

Now the key word is "i" or "my," as in others may very well be happy with EVGA, good for you, I have decided I am not haply with them.

I stated my problem with EVGA and why I feel that way. For some reason trying to change my opinion has been more important than actually answering my question as to an alternative PSU.

Edit: I also stated that my opinion may change later on if I were to see something to make me feel differently about them. That goes back to the reading comprehension issue some people seem to have though.

Edit 2: Turns out EVGA does have a record of me buying the PSU but I have to prove that I actually bought it by sending them the invoice they emailed me.

My bad for wanting a product that works correctly and to not have to spend money when said product is defective within 60 days and I go to warranty it.

Know what i have gotten from this thread? A lot of people seem to have problems with EVGA products and yet are happy because of the "great" warranty.

Thanks for confirming that EVGA isn't a very good brand when it comes down to it, I knew there was a reason I hadn't purchased one of their products before.

Edit: Turns out EVGA is so awesome they need me to provide proof that I bought this PSU from their store since they dont have a record of it it looks like. This is definitely some world class and pain free warranty experience!

But like I said, maybe I should lower my expectations on how getting a correctly working product should work.

Aw man having to prove you bought a product? What is a consumer expected to do these days sheesh.

Rma it. Sell it, buy some other brand that likely will be made by the same oem.

Last edited:
Aw man having to prove you bought a product? What is a consumer expected to do these days sheesh.

Evga is probably going to regret this experience…

But I can speak from personal experience from a business point of view. Businesses love to sell products but we do not choose who the customer is. Every once in a while there’s that customer. It’d be different if it was evga’s actual fault. It’s not. I see <any company name> there and I’d say the same thing with this situation.

You’ve ranted. You’ve received the community feedback that did not agree with your view. Sell it but some other brand that likely will be made by the same oem.
I wasn't asking for feedback, I wasn't asking for why people think EVGA is awesome, I didn't ask for people to tell me that I am wrong and need to suck it up, I asked for what 1k watt PSU's are worth buying.

But for some reason, white knighting EVGA and arguing with me over why I am doing something is more important than actually answering the question. I hope you listen to your customers better than you responded to me in this thread.

I wasn't asking for feedback, I wasn't asking for why people think EVGA is awesome, I didn't ask for people to tell me that I am wrong and need to suck it up, I asked for what 1k watt PSU's are worth buying.

But for some reason, white knighting EVGA and arguing with me over why I am doing something is more important than actually answering the question. I hope you listen to your customers better than you responded to me in this thread.

You sound like my brother. Are you, by any chance, an attorney?

Also, the jokes on you because every PSU worth buying is made by a handful of OEMs and you never know which one a retailer is going to use. They even change it up between revisions. And now, since Super Flower "Power" is off your list, you're down to, like, 2 or 3. Seasonic and that other one I can't ever remember the name of... Flextronics? Channel Well, aka Great Wall are meh, in my opinion. Just for the record, my last 1000W Seasonic Platinum took a shit on me, so good luck to you.

You sound like my brother. Are you, by any chance, an attorney?

Also, the jokes on you because every PSU worth buying is made by a handful of OEMs and you never know which one a retailer is going to use. They even change it up between revisions. And now, since Super Flower "Power" is off your list, you're down to, like, 2 or 3. Seasonic and that other one I can't ever remember the name of... Flextronics? Channel Well, aka Great Wall are meh, in my opinion. Just for the record, my last 1000W Seasonic Platinum took a shit on me, so good luck to you.
No, but I don't have anyone but pools to talk to during the day so will argue the shit out of just about anything.

Messaging EVGA on their site has made the process less annoying, kudos to Daniel the EVGA rep.

A lot of my annoyance comes from me not checking the PSU for the noise since I figured it was a highly rated PSU and couldnt be the problem. I ended up replacing 12 fans in my case before I realized where it was coming from.

The PSU itself is excellent, except the shitty fan making the intermittent noise. A noise that wasn't loud, but is the right tone/pitch to be really annoying. When I figured out it was the PSU fan I also found out that taking it out of ECO mode made the fan run at 100% and made the noise extra annoying.

Shit happens.

Always find out who the OEM is before you buy a psu. No ifs ands or buts. Some companies slap $250 price tags on junk made by junk builders.
The thing is, going beyond the sticker on the unit itself is a pita. So the easy answer(as has been said ad nauseam) is seasonic if you want top notch quality and cs. After that its, surprise, evga 😂 they have no problem telling you who the oem is, unlike 99% of psu manufacturers. So if you want solid customer service AND quality its not an easy ask unfortunately.
So far I've seen corsair mentioned and superflower. Both solid companies. With corsair there's no telling who the oem is per unit. You'll have to dig away. With superflower we know they are top notch quality but you have to buy from Newegg and any warranty issues are dealt with thru them, not sure about that.
So your better off finding a company you trust and deep diving their latest and greatest, if one of the above don't tickle your fancy. Otherwise...bust out that Google Fu!

I had a good experience with EVGA and a PSU warranty replacement (850W Gold something or other). Took about 2 weeks and most of that was shipping the unit from the east to west coast and back.

Currently have an EVGA 1200W Plat that I used when I had to warranty replace the other one and it's been solid. I've had much worse RMA experiences than dealing with EVGA. It was pretty painless.

Fucking lol, EVGA wants to (temporarily) charge me $687.62 to do a cross ship.

$336.08 for product collateral
$336.08 for RMA service hold
$15.46 in tax

I already paid for a defective unit, why the fuck are they charging the MSRP of 2 units in order to send me 1 replacement.

Fucking lol, EVGA wants to (temporarily) charge me $687.62 to do a cross ship.

$336.08 for product collateral
$336.08 for RMA service hold
$15.46 in tax

I already paid for a defective unit, why the fuck are they charging the MSRP of 2 units in order to send me 1 replacement.
WTF, where do you live, Ukraine or something?

They stated that their policies changed in April and that they charge for 2 units to keep people from using the RMA service as a way to purchase products.

I paid $180 for the PSU directly from EVGA on December 5th.

They stated that their policies changed in April and that they charge for 2 units to keep people from using the RMA service as a way to purchase products.

Hopefully they give you a reach around at least.

I bet you can find the cheap ass fan they use online and replace it yourself for like $10.

Ah, I could see that. Someone just decides to keep the 'replacement' along with the 'rma' that actually works just fine. I'd imagine that's to deter people from gaining multiple extra GPUs while skipping queues and such.

Nonsense, but a product of the times.

I'd also just replace the fan. Keep the original in case you gotta send it in for something more serious.

Fuck EVGA and their bullshit warranty.

I currently have
22lr
458 socom
9mm
Buckshot
Slugs

In which order and how many do you all want to see get put into the EVGA PSU.

Edit: My last email telling them to get fucked with their shitty warranty procedures got blocked.

Yeah, that is def an unfortunate product of the times....

My RMA's were before that was instituted. I'd be none too pleased myself

Back