evga sr-x

Whatever moreon asshat put the BIOS batteey under that heatsink should not be allowed to reproduce.

Well, about 3 grand to put together the cheapest 2x 8core system you can.

Then your hoping that intel didn't gimp the OC ability......

I kinda think a 61xx 4P system for the same money would preform better, even without the new bios.

Whatever moreon asshat put the BIOS batteey under that heatsink should not be allowed to reproduce.

Yeah what in the world is this shit. Almost want to take off the heatsink, solder some wires under it and solder them to a battery lol.

It's only 2P. For the same money you can get a 4P SM board. Ok for a gaming machine I suppose.

For all most all the games I know, a single 4C/8T CPU is more than enough. For gaming, it is all in the GPUs.

Yeh, 2500k or 2700k and a good GPU(s) for gaming. (Or do what I'm doing and still rock the 1366 chip!)

Then stripped down system with as much CPU power you can shove into your mobo of choice is the way to go folding only box.

Then load clients on everything with an OS.

Well, about 3 grand to put together the cheapest 2x 8core system you can.

Then your hoping that intel didn't gimp the OC ability......

I kinda think a 61xx 4P system for the same money would preform better, even without the new bios.

Looks like its going to suck for a while. This is what EVGA_JacobF said:

Does the board support OC'ing: Yes

Does the board support OC'ing on current CPU's? The answer unfortunately is no.

Current CPU's are multiplier locked, and they don't scale very high on bclock.

Looks like its going to suck for a while. This is what EVGA_JacobF said:

Does the board support OC'ing: Yes

Does the board support OC'ing on current CPU's? The answer unfortunately is no.

Current CPU's are multiplier locked, and they don't scale very high on bclock.

lol why does this mobo even exist then? In hopes that intel may release a 2p xeon that has an unlocked multi? Which will no doubt cost a fortune.

I think Intel is testing our patience. I doubt these unlocked E5 would be cheap.

At the mean time I think 4p G34 has the best performance/$ in regard to bigadv folding.

Because Intel can, they are ruling the roost without allowing overclocking that would step performance into their next carefully metered performance bracket. Welcome to the world where AMD doesn't push the high end.

We should put together a fund to get one of these into tear's hands...

Problem is the multi is locked on the CPU, not the board. The board is fine. Well, some major design fail, but in this regard fine. There's no CPU that im aware of with an unlocked multi.

And EVGA's gonna market this hard and rip off a lot of unsuspecting early adopters I think

Yes sir, because Intel totally attached the PCI-E and other clocks to the bclk so we could overclock soooooo high.

I think Intel is testing our patience. I doubt these unlocked E5 would be cheap.

At the mean time I think 4p G34 has the best performance/$ in regard to bigadv folding.

they aren't testing anything, they just don't care about the consumer side of things any longer.. they are pushing harder on the server market which means overclocking is the last thing those customers want/need so why bother allowing it for the niche consumer market that would buy them for overclocking.

its the same thing AMD has been doing for a few years now. only some one figured out how to overclock the G34 chips without needing an unlocked processor to do it.

Problem is the multi is locked on the CPU, not the board. The board is fine. Well, some major design fail, but in this regard fine. There's no CPU that im aware of with an unlocked multi.

And EVGA's gonna market this hard and rip off a lot of unsuspecting early adopters I think

wouldn't surprise me.. good quick easy cash and then they say, "oops forgot to mention you can't really overclock anything with it but hey thanks for your money." but in reality i think the problem is that Intel may of lead them on to believe that overclocking the lga-2011 xeons was a possibility and found out just like everyone else that it wasn't the case. so now they are stuck with the SR-X/3 or what ever its called so they have no choice but to sell it to recoup the cost.

Because Intel can, they are ruling the roost without allowing overclocking that would step performance into their next carefully metered performance bracket. Welcome to the world where AMD doesn't push the high end.

We should put together a fund to get one of these into tear's hands...

i don't think it has anything to do with what AMD did or didn't do. this is what you end up with when you want to put everything in the CPU. even if AMD was competitive Intel would never change their design to make a niche market group happy.

Last edited:
I am disappoint so far. Can't really see this getting more then a 4P 6174 setup and it costs ~2.5-3x the price. Sad day.

That is a bummer that the current E5 xeons don't overclock. Guess I'll be sticking with socket 771 for awhile longer then.

As far as board design is the ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS any better?

That is a bummer that the current E5 xeons don't overclock. Guess I'll be sticking with socket 771 for awhile longer then.

As far as board design is the ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS any better?

Well, its smaller and doesn't need as many power connectors, but this is an unknown for asus. EVGA has at least got its prior experience with the SR-2 to go on, asus has no experience with a 2p OC board.

Personally i prefer the look of the asus, but i know that is no way to judge a M/B

Asus does have experience with overclocking boards. The Asus PC-DL was my first dual processor over clocking board. There was also a follow up to the PC-DL called the NCCH-DL. I ran a pair of 1.6 lv xeons at 3.2 ghz in a PC-DL for years no issues. There was the Asus Z7S WS skull trail.

I also like Asus I been running Asus boards since the P2b and p2b-d days. Also had a supermicro and my current tyan and they all been reliable. EVGA not so much only experience with them was a 7900 GT that died and a 8800 gt that also died. Both ran at stock. Dunno about Evga motherboard reliability which is why I haven't went with a SR2.

Yeah, I have no doubt asus engineers did a good job designing their board.

looks like a nice board, it even has SAS connectors built in.. but with bclk OC'ing locked down and no unlocked multis, its dead in the water. What a shame.. intel are jerks

Asus does have experience with overclocking boards. The Asus PC-DL was my first dual processor over clocking board. There was also a follow up to the PC-DL called the NCCH-DL. I ran a pair of 1.6 lv xeons at 3.2 ghz in a PC-DL for years no issues. There was the Asus Z7S WS skull trail.

I also like Asus I been running Asus boards since the P2b and p2b-d days. Also had a supermicro and my current tyan and they all been reliable. EVGA not so much only experience with them was a 7900 GT that died and a 8800 gt that also died. Both ran at stock. Dunno about Evga motherboard reliability which is why I haven't went with a SR2.

OOps my bad, didn't realise that Asus have CO 2p boards before:eek:

Yeah, I have no doubt asus engineers did a good job designing their board.

Oh I was not doubting the skill of the asus engineers, just that it must be a lot more difficult than designing a 1p. Didn't realise asus have been here before

Isnt the Asus team now some of the guys that made the first SR2 awesome? I thought a large part of EVGA's mobo crew went to Asus. Combine Asus with the guys that made the first SR2 awesome and you should come out with an epic board

too bad there are no epic chips tho, kinda kills the mood lol

Isnt the Asus team now some of the guys that made the first SR2 awesome? I thought a large part of EVGA's mobo crew went to Asus. Combine Asus with the guys that made the first SR2 awesome and you should come out with an epic board

too bad there are no epic chips tho, kinda kills the mood lol

They went to Sapphire.

Back