EVGA SLi Mobo discussion thread. Come one, come all.

Ok so if I have this correctly. I can use the plastic bracket and have absolutely no issues or chance the metal one crushing a diode that I do not see. I guess I will eat the cost of the bracket and use the plastic one.
Does anyone know where you can get the plastic top piece for the thermalright local?

I just developed some wierd problems with my nf41 and i can no longer use my oca 3200 plat 2x1gb sticks in dual channel.

Not quiet sure why but my nf41 will no longer boot with both blue or both yellow slots filled. It stops on error 'C3' . I've tried both my sticks individually and they are both stable at 2.5-2-3-6 1t @ 215mhz. Sometimes when my computer has been off for a day it will turn on an work for about 1-2 hrs, then i get a blue screen and it wont turn back on, usually giving me the 'FF', until i remove a stick, and it works. Could it have something to do with my using a peltier on the 5v channel? its a 320watt (@15.1v) running at 5v on a PCP&C 510 deluxe. Setup is...

x2 3800 @ 2570 1.38v
7800gt 488/1250
3x 120mm thermaltake fans
4x 7200 rpm hd's
dvdrw
mcp350 pump
and of course the ocz memory

cpu temp is 22c
Nb temp is 25c
system temp is 30c
Ambient ~ 22-23c

yup. Reset bios and it stil wont boot with both sticks in period. 1 stick does fine, but 2 = no boot.

menlatin said:
yup. Reset bios and it stil wont boot with both sticks in period. 1 stick does fine, but 2 = no boot.

I take it you've tested each stick with Memtest 86 + (Tests 5 + 8) and they all pass? Do they work if you relax the timings? Say 2.5-3-3-7 2T? Have you tried increasing the voltage?

no memtest 86, just the win32 memtest. But i did get it to work for a couple hrs by doping this:
I put one stick in slot 2 (i think ) it booted, swaped tha twith the other stick, it booted, put the other stick in in SINGLE channel (right next to the other stick) upped voltage to 2.75 (2.68 actual) shutdown, and it booted with dual channel. Then a couple hrs later i got a blue screen, and it would not boot untl i pulled an other stick out.

menlatin said:
no memtest 86, just the win32 memtest. But i did get it to work for a couple hrs by doping this:
I put one stick in slot 2 (i think ) it booted, swaped tha twith the other stick, it booted, put the other stick in in SINGLE channel (right next to the other stick) upped voltage to 2.75 (2.68 actual) shutdown, and it booted with dual channel. Then a couple hrs later i got a blue screen, and it would not boot untl i pulled an other stick out.

How about the timings, did you try lowering them?

and what do you know? it just booted right now dual channel 2.5-3-2-6 1t 214mhz . Lets see how long until it blue screens.

menlatin said:
and its going 13 hrs strong...wtf.

That's why I suggested you relax the timings. If all is fine at 214 but not at 215 then the timings have to be relaxed or the voltage must go up.

just picked this mobo up myself with the combo deal, should get here late in the week. ill post how well it does.

actually stopped by a tiger direct retail store to by it to save on shipping but they did not have the video card. they had 5 mobos on the shelf, all had been opened. hope thats not a bad omen.

menlatin said:

Jesus fucking christ man, you're having the same damn problem i've been having -- i had that bullshit happen with my evga board so i bought a fuckin DFI board and now i'm having the exact same issues. I've got 2x1gb of Ballistix however. Fucking frustrating shit. I have literally the exact same issues as you are having. 30+hours stable dual prime95 and memtest86+ but if i have both sticks in for long enough, i'll bluescreen and the fucking box will refuse to boot. Last week i had the fucking thing rebooting over and over in a non-stop cycle -- it would post, get through listing devices and IRQ's, then reboot. I let the fucking piece of shit sit overnight and turned it on in the morning, and it worked fine. WTF?!. Shut her down tonight and when i turned her back on i was getting the long beep (no memory). Popped out a stick and whaddya know, she'll boot. Put the stick back in, won't boot. Last time i got it to work i did what you did, booted with 1 stick in, then swapped it, then booted with the other in the original slot. Strangely, though i've occasionally had problems booting with even one of my 1gb sticks in, i've NEVER had problems with my friend's corsair TCCD XMS (512mb). I'm wondering if it's a 1gb chip issue. Arrrgh also been wondering if it's a power supply problem -- i'm using a zippy/emacs 500w that has good ratings on all rails but that doesn't discount a bad part. You've also got a nice brand PS too, though so i'm now doubting it's caused by my PS. Fuck.

my 1gb stick of corsair value ram will only run when put into slot 3.

should this board support 2x256 ram if i run it in the 2nd slot and 4th slot for dual channel?

i didn't relax timings. I just stuck the other stick in while timing was set 2.5-2-3-6 1t and getting 2.68v and it booted. This board is flaky as shit. As soon as money comes around im going to get a dfi aswell. it was a nice bang for the buck, but its just not consistant enough to use.

headless said:
Jesus fucking christ man, you're having the same damn problem i've been having -- i had that bullshit happen with my evga board so i bought a fuckin DFI board and now i'm having the exact same issues. I've got 2x1gb of Ballistix however. Fucking frustrating shit. I have literally the exact same issues as you are having. 30+hours stable dual prime95 and memtest86+ but if i have both sticks in for long enough, i'll bluescreen and the fucking box will refuse to boot. Last week i had the fucking thing rebooting over and over in a non-stop cycle -- it would post, get through listing devices and IRQ's, then reboot. I let the fucking piece of shit sit overnight and turned it on in the morning, and it worked fine. WTF?!. Shut her down tonight and when i turned her back on i was getting the long beep (no memory). Popped out a stick and whaddya know, she'll boot. Put the stick back in, won't boot. Last time i got it to work i did what you did, booted with 1 stick in, then swapped it, then booted with the other in the original slot. Strangely, though i've occasionally had problems booting with even one of my 1gb sticks in, i've NEVER had problems with my friend's corsair TCCD XMS (512mb). I'm wondering if it's a 1gb chip issue. Arrrgh also been wondering if it's a power supply problem -- i'm using a zippy/emacs 500w that has good ratings on all rails but that doesn't discount a bad part. You've also got a nice brand PS too, though so i'm now doubting it's caused by my PS. Fuck.

Jesus Christ could give a shit about your motherboard problems buddy.

I can post this board upto 270mhz, but 1 mhz beyond that and I have to reset the CMOS jumper to boot up again :( It's a damn shame as I have a chip (Opteron 146 0546) that can do 2900mhz at stock voltage on air!

rob2000 said:
just picked this mobo up myself with the combo deal, should get here late in the week. ill post how well it does.

actually stopped by a tiger direct retail store to by it to save on shipping but they did not have the video card. they had 5 mobos on the shelf, all had been opened. hope thats not a bad omen.

Apparently there's been a problem with eVGA refurbs being sold as eVGA brand new boards. The people over at the eVGA mobo forum were discussing the issue a couple weeks ago. Apparently NCIX, Tigerdirect, and NewEgg have all been found guilty of selling refurbs as brand new.

DamienThorn said:
Apparently there's been a problem with eVGA refurbs being sold as eVGA brand new boards. The people over at the eVGA mobo forum were discussing the issue a couple weeks ago. Apparently NCIX, Tigerdirect, and NewEgg have all been found guilty of selling refurbs as brand new.

Yuppers!! Had it happen to me. Got a "new" board from the Egg with the combo kit. Seals had been broken, thought nothing of it until it wouldn't boot with memory in a specific DIMM slot. Contacted EVGA support (great folks btw), they asked for a copy of my invoice, e-mailed it to them and they confirmed that I had been sold a refurb mobo...They told me to return it to them (EVGA) and they sent me a new board in a sealed box (with the nice brand new saran wrap crap on it). If you go over to the EVGA message boards they have a sticky about this. EVGA is replacing boards that you receive opened. But they do ask for your invoice and apparently they can tell by the number on the invoice whether it's refurb or not.

ThatOldDude said:
Yuppers!! Had it happen to me. Got a "new" board from the Egg with the combo kit. Seals had been broken, thought nothing of it until it wouldn't boot with memory in a specific DIMM slot. Contacted EVGA support (great folks btw), they asked for a copy of my invoice, e-mailed it to them and they confirmed that I had been sold a refurb mobo...They told me to return it to them (EVGA) and they sent me a new board in a sealed box (with the nice brand new saran wrap crap on it). If you go over to the EVGA message boards they have a sticky about this. EVGA is replacing boards that you receive opened. But they do ask for your invoice and apparently they can tell by the number on the invoice whether it's refurb or not.

I know that I got a refurb at NCIX rather than a brand new one, but didn't want to wait the time it would take to ship to the US and back, so I'm holding onto mine. I haven't encountered any problems with it thus far, and hope that my luck holds.

Has anyone that's cooling with air found a way to either replace or quiet down the fan on the bridge of this board? I've managed to quiet everything else in my case, but the little screamer eVGA uses is driving me up the wall. Thanks!

does anyone have this zalman on their board? ZALMAN CNPS-9500LED

i tried looking through the thread but so many pages to see.

and if you have it does it block everything on the board from being accessed, and pluggin in cables etc. i was not planning to extreme overclock or anything. but wanted something stronger than the stock cooler. and found a good deal for a used one if bidding does not go nuts.

headless said:

Someone at the EVGA forums was saying that his DIMM slots were severely undervolted. He had to go to 3+ v to get close to 2.85. Could you and menlatin be having the same issue? I can't understand why the board would be fine for 30+ hours and then blue screen for no reason. :confused:

This is utterley dissapointing. I'm on my seccond mobo and third bios chip from evga.com... I come home tonight, put in a shiny new pci video card in my rig and fire it up, all works fine until... I reboot later that night. afterwards, the only error which I recieve is a post code of c1. reseat bios chip. No luck. clear cmos jumper. no luck. cmos plunger, no luck, battery, no luck, swap out the bios chip, no luck. I'm clueless as to the problem. someone help!
specs of rig are
opteron 144
1 gig patriot ddr500
550w antec true control
wd3000jd 300 gig sata drive
120/160 gig western digital/maxtor pata
plextor optical bay
liteon dvd writer
antec p180 case
trendnet pci wireless g adapter
evga sli mobo
evga geforce 4mx 420 pci (as a replacement for a soon to be but delayed rma shipment of my 7800gt)

i dont know what that error code is, but try reseating the video card.

or unplugging everything but the boot drive and the video card.

you prolly tried them already, just figured id mention it.

crossing my fingers my board works for me. seems hit or miss with most of the sli mobos lately browsing the forums.

acroig said:
Someone at the EVGA forums was saying that his DIMM slots were severely undervolted. He had to go to 3+ v to get close to 2.85.

This is interesting, I've got an x2 3800 and 1GB of ballistix in this board, and I get blue screens when I set it to 250x10, 1:1 at 2.85v mem, 1.4v cpu. I thought I just had a lousy overclocker (240x10 1:1 is fine).

Miranoponcho said:
This is utterley dissapointing. I'm on my seccond mobo and third bios chip from evga.com... I come home tonight, put in a shiny new pci video card in my rig and fire it up, all works fine until... I reboot later that night. afterwards, the only error which I recieve is a post code of c1. reseat bios chip. No luck. clear cmos jumper. no luck. cmos plunger, no luck, battery, no luck, swap out the bios chip, no luck. I'm clueless as to the problem. someone help!
specs of rig are
opteron 144
1 gig patriot ddr500
550w antec true control
wd3000jd 300 gig sata drive
120/160 gig western digital/maxtor pata
plextor optical bay
liteon dvd writer
antec p180 case
trendnet pci wireless g adapter
evga sli mobo
evga geforce 4mx 420 pci (as a replacement for a soon to be but delayed rma shipment of my 7800gt)

I don't know how much it will help, but there is a thread about this issue in the evga forums: http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10163

Hope it helps some!

mastercheeze said:
This is interesting, I've got an x2 3800 and 1GB of ballistix in this board, and I get blue screens when I set it to 250x10, 1:1 at 2.85v mem, 1.4v cpu. I thought I just had a lousy overclocker (240x10 1:1 is fine).

Which Ballistix is that? 2x512? That's what I have and they've been at 260 1:1 @ 2.85v 2.5-3-3-7 1T.

Well, finally, after almost 2 days for pulling my hair, I finally got my board to install Win XP :cool: ..I tried nearly everything - using/not using 1 or both drivers on the supplied floppy, setting my HD to SATA150 mode (2500KS=SATA300), switching SATA ports, I even tried making a custom nLite'd install disc w/ the RAID drivers/SP2 slipstreamed...What finally worked?--- Updating from factory E4.2 BIOS (recognized my OpterOWN 165 properly btw) to the latest E4.4. btw - Had to hunt around for an updated version of the AWDFLASH.EXE file v4.52 (i think) that was included in the flash files from EVGA woudln't recognize the .BIN..Got a v4.8x or something and that worked..

After install, I easily booted into 240x9 @ stock volts (maybe +50mV 7 shift dont recall), 4x HT link, I think 3.05v on the mem...After that, I decided to go for the gusto and start the real stability testing..Had it @ 290x9 (5:6 divider 240? RAM)..Stress Prime 04 (x2) would crap out on either core within a few seconds to about 10 mins...So, right now, it's dual priming @ 288x9 (CLOCKGEN shows 288.35HTT / 235.93RAM / 2595.19 overall) @ 1.5v [+50mV 7 shift I think] - I would push a little higher ( I am on water), either on the vCore or clock speed/HTT, but JetWays my guard is showing like 52c CPU (temp1) / 33c system temps - Speed Fan the same, and 26c on "Temp3" 44c "HD0" (no fan using upper drive/floppy cage in my dragon), and 40c on "temp1" -- yes a *2nd* temp1 sensor in Speed Fan (anyone know what it might be, perhaps a more accurate ACTUAL cpu reading or something??). Anyway, SP2004 is (are?) currently sitting @ 1h 12m and counting..Seems (so far) that the drop from 290 to 288 has done the trick (big deal 2615 MHz -> 2595 MHz - would be nice to be able to hit 2.6+ tho).

Also, CPUZ won't show the proper core values regardless if I set either vcore=0 or 1 in the .INI file (shows 0.248 or 1.40 *regardless* of the actual BIOS setting). I haven't had the chance to do much benching yet, but I did do a few runs before I went to sleep (@ like 5:30am!)...When still @ 290x9 mind you, so I'm sure my scores wil be slightly lower..

SPIMod - .203 16k, .404 32k, 1.093 64k, 2.453 128k, 5.859 256k, 14.313 512k, 33.172 1M, 1:16.578 2M

Everest - 44.1ns latency, 1984 MB write, 6279 MB read

HDTach - 173.5 burst, 13.1ms , 56.0 MB - This was done while 2xSP04 was also running (and AVG 7/couple other background things)...

..Oh, and via the NV drivers/CoolBits testing, my bundled 7800gt seems to be good for either 498/1.16 or 501/1.18 (from stock 445/1.07)..Not too shabby - did a run of Aquamark 3 also b4 sleep - scored 96,374 overall, 16,469 GFX, 11,614 CPU, 29,011,724 tri's/sec, 96.37fps

..anyway, system specs in sig, kinda - gotta update later..

OpterOWN 165 - 0547 TPMW / 0230 (last 4 digits line 3)
2x512 OCZ Value VX (UTT think BH, could be CH though) - salvaged from NF7-S box
EVGA NF41 SLI (duh)
EVGA 7800gt (518? or is it 516?) <--- btw q4 came IN the box - no reg/mail for me!)
XClio 480BL
Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB (SATA300/16MB cache...ps MONARCH does same crappy bubble wrap for the HDs as NewEgg :mad: - plasic air bumpers vs the Egg's foam peanuts for filler tho)
Swiftech Apex Ultra w/c kit (yes the one with the Apogee - I cant complain $198 SHIPPED for ~$275+ (tax/shipping est.) item) -- thanks jab-tech/alphakry!

..other assorted crap (like 2 dvd burners - my DVR109 will write DVDs but not read em [not read most that is/reads CDs i think - 2 discs in tray at once killed it :p] DVR106 wont write anything, but will read DVDs, and read too I think..

Will post screens/digi pics of the build (prob start own thread in the w/c section or something), add my submission to the oc database later on/join S939/OpterOWN clubs, just want to get some testing out of the way.. Nevermind if I wanna game atm, I need to switch out my monitor cable to the now backup pc..And need to go out and get some stuff done anyway..

ps. 2 odd things...

1) Everytime I go into the 7800gt panel on display settings my monitor gets all f'd up (almost like a 16:9 display) and I need to reset the H/V-size/centering, although it someties resets itself (partially), or when I rebooted/restarted earlier it must have gone back to normal, because the display was stretching beyond the visibe safe zone (post scrunchy settings fix)...Anyone have an idea what could be causing it? ps 82.12 drivers & Coolbits reg hack ONLY. ps - Using the DVI adapter, as I have a CRT monitor...

2) Currently have the HD on SATA 1 (or 2?)...@ 237ish MEM (288 HTT, /11 divider in CPU-Z), would it make sense for me to turn SATA3/4 back on, hook it to either, and maybe that'll allow me to o/c a bit more?.. I'm not sure where the truth is on this one...I've seen people say it craps out around 225 or craps out around 239 (where I am +/- of course), I've even seen some say it's not an issue with the NF4 chipset either..No easily available answer from the horses mouth (EVGA's forum) either..

(also will be back on F@H team 33 on @ least 1 core once stability is sorted..Maybe both - UDs servers have been MUCH too flakey recently)...

man you wrote a book, cool things to know though.

have you tried newer firmware on your pioneer? i had problems till i updated the firmware and updated nero. now its perfect 99% of the time. usually only problems i get is if i get shitty blanks.

Another Opterown 165 user just dropping by to ask what is dual channel on this board, which slots are for dual chan.

Thanks.

comeon guys read the manual its not that hard :)

colored slots are for a reason, 1 and 3 and 2 and 4.

match the colors :)

acroig said:
Which Ballistix is that? 2x512? That's what I have and they've been at 260 1:1 @ 2.85v 2.5-3-3-7 1T.

I have a 1GB stick, just bought one cause I was short on cash, going to buy another here soon. 2.85v @ 2.5-3-3-8 1T, can't go higher than 240 1:1. Haven't really tried yet due to work and a desire to just use the computer and not have to get up and reset CMOS, etc. Will do more this weekend.

just got mine and connected everything up, but i cant seem to boot at all. once i power up the psu, all i get is a red light and nothing at all from the fans, cpu, anything else. im assuming a red light means that although the board is receiving power, something might not be right. any suggestions?

ug_rulz_all said:
just got mine and connected everything up, but i cant seem to boot at all. once i power up the psu, all i get is a red light and nothing at all from the fans, cpu, anything else. im assuming a red light means that although the board is receiving power, something might not be right. any suggestions?

Are you receiving an error code on the LCD?

marley1 said:
comeon guys read the manual its not that hard :)

colored slots are for a reason, 1 and 3 and 2 and 4.

match the colors :)

That would be all nice if the manual that shipped with the board was correct in that area. :rolleyes:

I had problems with that until I went to the eVGA site and downloaded a correct manual that had the ram slots renumbered for correct dual-channelness. :D

2k2_zx2 said:
That would be all nice if the manual that shipped with the board was correct in that area. :rolleyes:

I had problems with that until I went to the eVGA site and downloaded a correct manual that had the ram slots renumbered for correct dual-channelness. :D

wat was wrong with the manual?

i think when i glanced at mine, it said to put in same colored slots(1+3 or 2+4).

was that incorrect?

My manual had the dual channel slots listed as slots 1&2 and 3&4 and made no mention about the color for the dual channel slots. Checked their online manual, got things switched around and dual channel is working fine.

mastercheeze said:
I have a 1GB stick, just bought one cause I was short on cash, going to buy another here soon. 2.85v @ 2.5-3-3-8 1T, can't go higher than 240 1:1. Haven't really tried yet due to work and a desire to just use the computer and not have to get up and reset CMOS, etc. Will do more this weekend.

Do a search for headless, he's got your same RAM. See how far he can take his up to, I forget right now.

Like someone asked before -- I want to pop a Zalman CNPS9500 Led on my opteron, But wondering if this cooler will work with this board... It says there has to be 45 mm free of any components to the left/right of the CENTER of the CPU. The compasitors/transistors/whatever to the left of the CPU seem to be coming in at about 43-44 mm... I don't know if this will interfere with anything, though.

Also, I want to know about under the board, I'm using an ULTRA UV pro case (No standoffs) Also want to know if cases without standoffs will mess with this, too.

Can someone confirm?

Also yeah, It seems as that the dual channel is 1-2, 3-4. As I can nottice worse performance with 1-3, 2-4 w/ my OCZ El Platinum Revision 2.

Back