eVGA, seriously guys?

f1y

Supreme [H]ardness
I have two dead eVGA 790i Ultra SLI motherboards. A buddy that owns a computer store had these, and has had these for about 6 months. They were from a customer build that didn't go so well.

I told him I would RMA them for him. buy the boxes, pay for shipping the whole sha-bang.

So I grab the motherboards, and head home. I call up eVGA thinking I could do a 2 for 1 RMA, place them in the same box. While on hold that automated vioce comes on, and ask if I've registered my product on evga.com/myevga. After about 5minutes. I haven't so I hang up, and do so. I read about the EAR program, and 90-day step up and blah blah. I register the products, and they actually show an RMA pending.. odd.

Anyways I call back [hold time 17minutes] first guy is real nice, helps me out. Turns out my buddy has already started the RMA process and it's in "pending" status. So I have contact him about finishing it. End call.

Ok, that sucks. After about 5minutes I get the idea, maybe they can just switch ownership to me. I call back. [Avg. wait time 10minutes] at about 8:30 on the phone it goes silent, and there's no hold music until 11:00 in. I end up hanging up and calling back.

Voice says [Avg. wait time 18 mins] BLEH! Guy answers form the customer support, RMA question queue. I tell him what has happened, and ask if he can just forward the already accepted, and in pending status RMA labels to me. I'll slap them on the box, and be done with it. He says there is no way he can do that, I have to get my buddy to forward me the email. I reply "so there's nothing you can do for me" he replies "no". End call.

Well i notice this niffty little cancel button on the eVGA website next to the two motherboards. I hit it, and just start my own RMA process. Now I get an email saying it can't be accepted until a copy of the original receipt is uploaded.

WTF?!? they're LIFETIME warrantied motherboards, why do I possibly need to submit a copy of the original purchase?

Anyways. I have to go back to my buddy tomorrow, get him to produce me a receipt from his business, and then upload it. Just so I can return it for him.

Here's my online AT&T summary of being on hold. Equals out to about 50 mins, which isn't bad... If something would of been accomplished.
100_2023.jpg

The 888 # is EVGA support line, and NATE is the guy that owns the computer shop. He's already closed for the day. Don't have his cell.

Anyways, I'm going to have to drive back up to the computer store get a reciept from my buddy, and then see where it goes from there.

I've actually never owned an eVGA product, that I had to return, BUT damn. This makes me rethink evga entirely.

All the other big companies is basically cut and dry. Serial number, address, here's a label, wanna cross ship for X amount of money? here's a label.. done.

Not evga

boards in question:

100_2022.jpg

anyways.. i'll keep ya updated with what happens tomorrow.

update

I gave eVGA a call just to make sure that I didn't mess up the chances of the original owner RMAing now. After reading the first 6, or 7 replies on here.

Since the previous RMA was in approved status the Rep said that the receipt would still be uploaded and they would have the information needed. [stupid me canceled] So, i'll go to the store tomorrow hop on his PC and re-do the RMA process from HIS login. Should be good to go.

I asked the rep why was it they required the proof of purchase at gun-point, and he said it to check if it was still under warranty. I referenced the part of the site that had this

* Lifetime: The EVGA limited lifetime warranty is only eligible for part numbers ending in:
-A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX.

* 1+2: EVGA 1 + 2 limited warranty only eligible for part numbers ending in:
-K1, -KR.

* 1+1: EVGA 1 + 1 limited warranty only eligible for part numbers ending in:
-LA, -LE, -LR, -LX, -T1, -TR, -TX.

the motherboards are -A1 serial numbers so I have lifetime warranty. He then changed the story to "it'a to prove you're the original purchaser, because the "limited" lifetime warranty only applies to the original purchaser and in no circumstances does it transfer.

So, I gather from this that it's basically like DRM on video games... It's just there to prevent RE-SELL, because the manufactuer makes 0% on re-sells. Same wiht DRM install limits on PC games.. It's there to prevent re-sell..

So, I gather... don't buy used from eVGA.

Looks like even EVGA has a bad day or two. For me EVGA has been flawless.

So why did you cancel the RMA? If you have access to his account to cancel the RMA why not just use the RMA number and ship the items with it? Is needing a receipt for an RMA something new?

The phone issue i empathize with, that is a horrible wait (though I recommend email.. gives them the chance to reply on their own terms). However, I don't see the big issue with needing the original receipt- you just need to prove ownership. I haven't had an RMA yet where I didn't need a receipt, including EVGA products w/lifetime. hence double lifetime warranties, which transfer ownership w/o all the BS in between.

Good luck man.. I haven't had a bad experience with EVGA yet.

Why don't you just have your buddy deal with all this shit? They're his boards anyway.

because I get to keep them for doing it for him... duh! He's strapped for cash, and can't afford to RMA a lot of stuff, so I'm doing a bunch of stuff for him actually. Logitech mice, BFG video cards, lots of RAM.

Just helping out a friend that owns his own business.

You can cry in the General Mayhem section btw.

It's in there too. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1398699
Except I started out happy, because I was getting these two boards free.. Until I started the RMA process, which has started pretty badly.

*edit,

I'm not actually bitching, I have faith they'll help me... After all, All i've ever seen is that there's been nothing but EPICness from EVGA support, I was just shinning a little light on a hiccup I had.

:(

Yes just checking the Manuf policy on the web sites EVGA is much more strict than Asus or Gigabyte/

I just cant figure out why the store owner, after starting the RMA, did not just ship them back. Wish I was so busy :D I watch with interest as I am not sure I can find the invoice for my video card but was diligent in registering it promptly on the site. Like WTF is the point of registering it on the site AND needing the receipt. (Other than the spam if you don't see the tiny "opt out of the marketing BS" check box.) I am thinking needing the receipt is a recent change to the warranty terms as I don't remember that and I am positive I looked at the warranty. It was a major reason I went with EVGA. Have to rethink that now. (But I may have just hidden the invoice from myself - the original box is around here somewhere. )

Good luck - based on the terms you are screwed unless you are the original purchaser and if the canceled RMA had the serial number and someone elses name you left fingerprints all over their RMA system so I will be highly interested in how this works out. IMO if the boards where not abused they should be fixed but I am not quite sure for whom, nothing personal at all, I really hope it turns out for the best.

EVGA;s warranty policy is easy to find and clearly stated.

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

ALL Defective products sent in for RMA replacement MUST INCLUDE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL INVOICE / RECEIPT. (Products NOT including invoice/receipt will be returned to the customer at customer's expense.)

Products purchased second hand or from an auction site do not carry any warranty.

-------------------------------------------------
Question / Issue

Is the EVGA warranty transferable to another party?

Answer / Solution

Due to our warranty terms the Limited lifetime Warranty only covers the original purchaser (user). Such terms are stated under the primary conditions:

For our retail Graphics Card and Mainboard products purchased on or after June 22, 2005, EVGA will provide a limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of each retail product that the product will not suffer, in material or workmanship, from any defect that adversely affects the performance of the product. This limited lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product, based upon the following conditions are met.

If you are unsure about your status of your warrenty or need further clarifaction please contact us via our email address located on the SUPPORT page or call us any time at 1 888.880.EVGA (3842) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

--------------------------------------------------

Thanks Bill...

I was actually thinking how I could get a legit recepit. Maybe have him charge me $1 or something, so I technically do become the owner..

But, since they don't transfer, guess I'll just get his EVGA account login.

To late to do anything about it now. So I'm just sitting dead in the water until 10am when the store opens

WTF?!? they're LIFETIME warrantied motherboards, why do I possibly need to submit a copy of the original purchase?

I have never liked EVGA's policy on having the original purchase receipt. Many other manufacturers do not require this and as a result EVGA's reputation for an excellent warranty is totally undeserved in my opinion.

I've got a stack of dead EVGA 680i SLI boards that I can't get replaced. So I feel your pain.

LOL I edited my post a lot - several of the questtions that occured to me while editing to try and be fairly neutral got asked and answered.

This is valid here as EVGA has in my opinion anyway, a stellar customer service rep and now that they are making Intel chipset boards I think this is of more interest to the OCing community. However lets make sure we all stick to the facts and remember forum rule # whatever the heck it is about being civil in our conversations.

Dans comment make me think I was mistaken about not needing the recipt. He is likely a lot more up on it than I am as I favor Gigabytes, no particaular reason. LOL Dan has returned a few 680i's if I recall. :eek:

HAHA I thought I was in the OCing forum . oops. :D

Dans comment make me think I was mistaken about not needing the recipt. He is likely a lot more up on it than I am as I favor Gigabytes, no particaular reason. LOL Dan has returned a few 680i's if I recall. :eek:

yea, I've never needed to provide proof of purchase on hard drives..

Just type in serial number, if it's under warranty.. it's replaced.

hopfully this all gets worked out :)

You can cry in the General Mayhem section btw.

So when someone disagrees with EVGA's warranty policy it is considered crying? Do you consider all complaints crying or just ones that go against the grain of popular opinion? In this case the popular opinion being that EVGA's warranty is somehow superior to that of other board maker's. Please. I understand EVGA's policy, and know what needs to be done in order to get an RMA through them and I've got to tell you MANY board manufacturers are FAR better to deal with than EVGA in this regard. Their reputation in this area is flat out undeserved. Frankly, I don't know how they got this reputation given the circumstances. I suspect it is perpetuated by people who have probably never actually tried to RMA anything through EVGA and by others who think of them as the "nice guy" company because Gigabyte and ASUS are evil due to being large. :rolleyes:

The phone issue i empathize with, that is a horrible wait (though I recommend email.. gives them the chance to reply on their own terms). However, I don't see the big issue with needing the original receipt- you just need to prove ownership. I haven't had an RMA yet where I didn't need a receipt, including EVGA products w/lifetime. hence double lifetime warranties, which transfer ownership w/o all the BS in between.

Good luck man.. I haven't had a bad experience with EVGA yet.

I couldn't disagree more. When I purchase a product and I need warranty support on it, they need to respond to me when I E-Mail them in fairly prompt fashion. If I call them during business hours, they need to respond to me when I call them. The idea of them "responding on their terms" is insane to me. ASUS and Gigabyte will RMA boards and send you a replacement without an original purchase receipt. If they don't require one, and HP/Compaq or Dell don't, why the hell should EVGA?

In this case the bar was set higher a long time ago by other companies, and this is one area where EVGA doesn't step up. This fact doesn't change my feelings about their products which are generally favorable, just as I normally like ASUS products, but hate dealing with them for other reasons. They don't require a purchase receipt, but they still suck to deal with most of the time. (Also, for example their website and web forums are appaling and just bad. Inexcusable considering their place in the market.)

LOL I edited my post a lot - several of the questtions that occured to me while editing to try and be fairly neutral got asked and answered.

This is valid here as EVGA has in my opinion anyway, a stellar customer service rep and now that they are making Intel chipset boards I think this is of more interest to the OCing community. However lets make sure we all stick to the facts and remember forum rule # whatever the heck it is about being civil in our conversations.

HAHA I thought I was in the OCing forum . oops. :D

I've never been able to get EVGA to RMA a single board.

Nope, one of them was a review sample that I killed through overclocking. I received this board never expecting support for it. Fair enough. The ones I've personally purchased, I was NEVER able to send back to EVGA. The ones I returned were returned to the retail store where I got them during their exchange period. The boards I have that are dead are all boards that I had that worked for several months then died later. I have since misplaced their receipts, and because of this I can't even get the board swapped out that I bought the EAR program on. Several of these products were also registered on their website, some too late from the date of purchase, and several right away. I can't get a single one of these boards swapped out.

Previous to reselling many of my EVGA video cards, I could have pulled up my registration information and you would have seen a staggering list of EVGA products from the 6800 series all the way through to today. EVGA, previous to the 680i SLI boards were my first choice for video cards much of the time.

called them back, got a little update.. Still not closer to actually getting them RMA'd

I couldn't disagree more. When I purchase a product and I need warranty support on it, they need to respond to me when I E-Mail them in fairly prompt fashion. If I call them during business hours, they need to respond to me when I call them. The idea of them "responding on their terms" is insane to me. ASUS and Gigabyte will RMA boards and send you a replacement without an original purchase receipt. If they don't require one, and HP/Compaq or Dell don't, why the hell should EVGA?

In this case the bar was set higher a long time ago by other companies, and this is one area where EVGA doesn't step up. This fact doesn't change my feelings about their products which are generally favorable, just as I normally like ASUS products, but hate dealing with them for other reasons. They don't require a purchase receipt, but they still suck to deal with most of the time. (Also, for example their website and web forums are appaling and just bad. Inexcusable considering their place in the market.)

What I meant (poorly worded, obviously) was that oftentimes when I call for tech support, the person I speak to cannot give me a useful answer in a useful amount of time (because they have to refer to someone else, etc..) so I write up a question in an email and get a prompt informed response without having to wait on the line. EVGA has gotten back to me within 24hrs for all of my emails.. Have called a few times but wasn't able to get anything sorted out.

While the receipt has never been an issue for me (I shop at Newegg almost exclusively) I can easily see how this becomes annoying. :(

called them back, got a little update.. Still not closer to actually getting them RMA'd

You should not get one IMO. The warranty does not apply to you.

i may be missing the point here, but why is it such a big deal to upload a receipt/invoice?
a few of the larger online stores save them so you can print out later, otherwise they come in the boxes and the email from the store. if i buy from a b+m i save the receipt, because you never know when this computer stuff just might break. whenever i get an evga product (which is all the time) i take 2 minutes and register it (can you say "autofill") and upload the invoice. i guess i am not as busy as some guys are.

I don't know if that's the case or not. For some products from some manufacturers the warranty only applies to the product's original purchaser, when sold by an authorized EVGA reseller. So anything sold on Ebay or whatever may not carry a warranty even if they are unopened. EVGA would have to answer that directly, as I don't recall seeing anything about that in the text of their warranty.

ya good point, I forgot about them requiring the receipt again..

F1Y, unfortunately... per the terms of the warranty the only person who has a warranty is the original purchaser since he has the receipt. The reason for requiring a receipt is not just to make sure you are the original purchaser. Its also so that EVGA is sure that you're within warranty(if its not lifetime), and that you registered within 30 days, and that you didnt transfer ownership since this is not an unlimited transferable warranty.

Ok, I had my buddy RDP into my box, and login to evga.com.

I processed and printed the RMAs, and boxed and shipped them out. Alls well.

The RMAs are going back to his shop though, so I wonder if he'll feel the same about letting me keep it after I've done all the work for him. I doubt it.

I may of scammed myself out of a lot of shipping charges.. Oh well, I helped a friend, and all got worked out.

Atleast I found out about this before I bought a used eVGA product, and ACTUALLY got screwed out of a warranty.. All have invested in this now is a little time, and shipping fees.

Thanks for all the helping schooling me on how to read Terms of service guys..

I'll go back to my noob cave.

I don't understand how you are helping your friend by RMAing the boards and keeping them for yourself.

I don't understand how you are helping your friend by RMAing the boards and keeping them for yourself.

He owns a business. A customer comes in bitching X product doesn't work. So he then takes the original product, back and hands the person a new one off his shelf. He then has to RMA the item, and then place it back on sale (used of course now)

Well, he has this "RMA desk" of all these items that have been brought back. He hasn't had the time to do them 1 at a time, and doesn't have the cash to do them all at once.

So, I was just bullshiting, and I asked if I could keep certian things if I RMA'd the whole lot.

He said I could keep these two mobos.. Use one, and sell one. that would cover my expenses to ship all these items out. harddrives, mice, keyboards, dvd drives, lan cards, wireless adapters, and so fourth.

So he gets all his items exchanged so he then turn around and sell them and make bank, and I get a new motherboard and cash.. I help him.. he helps me..

Turns out just by chance these two items he already been half-assed processed, and that through a wrench in our plan.

i dont understand the big deal, pretty much every company out there only covers the orignal buyer, except xfx or bfg (forget wich one offers the double lifetime).

Very few warranties are transferable to new owners. I buy from FS/FT/Ebay knowing in mind that there is no warranty. As-is. Why people still struggle with this concept I can't figure out.

*sometimes* sales have warranties. A Dell/IBM laptop that is tracked based on it's s/n, or something like that which is clearly advertised as with warranty and it can be confirmed. But otherwise, nope nada.

Even with a lifetime warranty, purchase receipt insures that you didn't steal/shoplift the product and/or that it wasn't some engineering sample/demo unit that got loose.

I kinda have to agree too that giving them the original invoice is kind of dumb. The lifetime warranty should kick in if you register the card but then after you register you should be able to get an RMA without the original invoice.

Their ebay and newegg refurbished warranty's also leave a lot of to be desired. They basically profiting off refurbished products TWICE and not offering the warranty the second time they sell it. They should offer a longer period of the refurbished products other then 7 and 90 days respectively and I think more people would buy refurbished from them.

I also own a lot of evga products though because of the lifetime warranty. I use all of them for folding so knowing that if it craps out because of the uptime requirements I can get a new one pretty painless.

From a customer's point of view, the number of owners should matter, if the board is faulty because of the manufacturing process, it should be manufacturer's responsibility to take care of such issues.

IMHO, it's hardly defensible to say that "multiple owners"="owner's fault mobo failed" since if it were that easy to determine whose fault it is, why bother limiting the warranty to original owner in the first place? I think EVGA is simply trying to limit their liability at the expense to the consumer since they are perfectly aware of the high-turnaround in the high-end segment of the market that they are catering to with their mobos

A lot of companies require the original receipt and for you to purchase from an authorized retailer. This is not a new or alien concept.

Yeah, it'd be real nice if you could get a video card upgrade for life, but that isn't viable from a business perspective, nor is replacing the product when it's on it's 10th owner. Try getting Western Digital to replace anything without a receipt... it's not going to happen. But if you do have your receipt, they'll be more than happy to cross ship you a new hard drive that's under warranty. Try getting Klipsch to fix your busted speakers you bought from some dude on Ebay with a storefront. Won't happen. You could cry about it, or you could realize you saved a few bucks and took your chances... just like people who buy anything from Ebay do. It's kind of like crying about some motherboards you got from a friend that you get to keep if you do him a favor and RMA them, but then you find out you can't because you didn't buy them and don't have a receipt they require, so you go on a forum and say "this company sucks!". I mean, seriously?

And if you DO legitimately purchase a product, you should be thinking, "I better put this receipt in a safe place in case I need it for my warranty." If you're not thinking that, either 1) your purchase you just made obviously wasn't that important to you; or 2) wasn't monetarily worth worrying about; or 3) wasn't purchased through retail or with any kind of warranty; or 4) you're just kind of lazy or dumb and can't be bothered to worry about stuff like receipts and proof of purchase, because it takes too much effort. There's also 5) where you've been brought up with an entitlement mentality and never had reality hit you until now.

A lot of companies require the original receipt and for you to purchase from an authorized retailer. This is not a new or alien concept.

Yeah, it'd be real nice if you could get a video card upgrade for life, but that isn't viable from a business perspective, nor is replacing the product when it's on it's 10th owner. Try getting Western Digital to replace anything without a receipt... it's not going to happen. But if you do have your receipt, they'll be more than happy to cross ship you a new hard drive that's under warranty. Try getting Klipsch to fix your busted speakers you bought from some dude on Ebay with a storefront. Won't happen. You could cry about it, or you could realize you saved a few bucks and took your chances... just like people who buy anything from Ebay do. It's kind of like crying about some motherboards you got from a friend that you get to keep if you do him a favor and RMA them, but then you find out you can't because you didn't buy them and don't have a receipt they require, so you go on a forum and say "this company sucks!". I mean, seriously?

And if you DO legitimately purchase a product, you should be thinking, "I better put this receipt in a safe place in case I need it for my warranty." If you're not thinking that, either 1) your purchase you just made obviously wasn't that important to you; or 2) wasn't monetarily worth worrying about; or 3) wasn't purchased through retail or with any kind of warranty; or 4) you're just kind of lazy or dumb and can't be bothered to worry about stuff like receipts and proof of purchase, because it takes too much effort. There's also 5) where you've been brought up with an entitlement mentality and never had reality hit you until now.

I've RMA'ed many Western Digital drives. I've NEVER needed a purchase receipt. I've got a Velociraptor on RMA now. Guess, what? No receipt. I understand where you are coming from, but I don't like it. They can tell from the serial number if the item is under warranty or not. I understand wanting to verify the original owner and all, but frankly unless something warranty voiding occured happened to the product, like you let your cat rub up against it, or you spilled your beverage on it, I think the manufacturers need to stand behind their product.

Just my $0.02.

Honestly EVGA's service is slipping. The main reason that I bought my GTX280 from Evga is their EAR rma service. That is where you pay for shipping, they ship you a card, you put the card that needs to be rmaed into the box and slap on the prepaid label. Now you need to pay for shipping when you register your card. I didn't have to do this with my GTX260. I have bought 3 new $300+ cards from Evga in the past 6 months and they wont help me out. And if you forget to register your #300+ video card in 30(from time of purchace) you are only warrentyed for a year. All I needed for my PCP+C psu and OCZ ram was the serial number. My next Nvidia card will be from BFG. After all it's just a sticker.

Also, Ill take an Asus board anyday.

i dont understand the big deal, pretty much every company out there only covers the orignal buyer, except xfx or bfg (forget wich one offers the double lifetime).
That would be XFX, although I have RMA'd a second-hand BFG card before without the original receipt and I didn't have any issues. Their support is very accommodating, and I'd be far more inclined to deal with them in the future based on my excellent experience, rather than dealing with eVGA's frankly asinine warranty policy. Mandatory registration within 30 days to get the lifetime warranty? WTF? It's like they're hoping that people won't bother registering their cards so they won't have to provide support for everyone (which seems a little dirty to me).

That would be XFX, although I have RMA'd a second-hand BFG card before without the original receipt and I didn't have any issues. Their support is very accommodating, and I'd be far more inclined to deal with them in the future based on my excellent experience, rather than dealing with eVGA's frankly asinine warranty policy. Mandatory registration within 30 days to get the lifetime warranty? WTF? It's like they're hoping that people won't bother registering their cards so they won't have to provide support for everyone (which seems a little dirty to me).

That just made up my mind on buying BFG for my next Nvidia purchace.

EVGA has LIFETIME warranty - FOR ORIGINAL PURCHASER. It's one user.

XFX has Double Lifetime warranty - transferrable to another owner.

This is in the fine print on their websites and warranties. It's not a difficult concept to grasp and pretty much standard in the industry that you will also need proof of purchase from [another requirement] an authorized reseller. That means that ebay doesn't count. Warranties mostly only apply to authorized resellers because they only want to be warrantying those in their distribution chain and therefore in their control. Don't learn this the hard way and buy items on ebay expecting warranty. Doesn't work with EVGA and many other companies.

EVGA has LIFETIME warranty - FOR ORIGINAL PURCHASER. It's one user.

XFX has Double Lifetime warranty - transferrable to another owner.

BFG Doesnt care if you got it on ebay or from a forum and has been sold 5 times or more.

Evga has a decent RMA process if you're the original purchaser/have a receipt... :)

I got an XFX card right now though for my main and will probably continue to buy XFX videocards (considering they got ATI now too)

Cant believe i just read this worthless thread.

OP was helping a friend with the RMA. Plain and simple.

It wasnt like they were sold to him from someone online, which he then fucks up cause hes a dumbass, and tried to RMA.

Cant believe i just read this worthless thread.

OP was helping a friend with the RMA. Plain and simple.

It wasnt like they were sold to him from someone online, which he then fucks up cause hes a dumbass, and tried to RMA.

Legally and according to terms of warranty - that doesn't matter. OP should have read warranty terms before trying all of his calling and cancelling of existing RMAs or trying to transfer ownership himself.

This reminds me of a horrible RMA with Asus. Apparently I had my company address as my return address on the package because I used my UPS account. I had the RMA number written on all sides of the box and a packing slip inside the box with my info. Because of that, my RMA took almost 2 months when it should have took 10-14 business days. I do not understand what was so hard about typing that RMA number in the computer and seeing the info in the computer. I called so many times and got so many different answers about what was going on. RMA was honored, the whole process sucked so bad I went and bought an MSI board for that computer.........and sold the Asus board.

Sorry I just have to ask, maybe it doesn't apply here, but is the newegg type stuff you can reprint count? I mean what is an "original" receipt nowadays?

Back