EVGA SC 780GTX Relisted item $439.99

I would have edited out the serial number on the gpu and the picture of the box. Good luck on the sale.

I would have edited out the serial number on the gpu and the picture of the box. Good luck on the sale.

Actually it's a smart idea to include as much info as possible. If the buyer were to return the item for whatever reason and it doesn't match the listing, the seller won't be screwed out of his $$$.

People can use that serial number for their own shady purpose. That was my reason behind it. But whatever floats your boat.

Actually it's a smart idea to include as much info as possible. If the buyer were to return the item for whatever reason and it doesn't match the listing, the seller won't be screwed out of his $$$.

I'll show UPC codes in my auctions but not serial numbers. But if someone asks me for a serial number, I'll provide it. What they want to know is if the product is stolen or already registered.

Card is allready registered, I once sold a moniter and did not show the serial number in the auction, the buyer sent me back a non working moniter with a different number but I took the hit and got burned.

Card is allready registered, I once sold a moniter and did not show the serial number in the auction, the buyer sent me back a non working moniter with a different number but I took the hit and got burned.

gotta love ebay scammers. :mad:

I get my money from PayPal when someone buys because I'm established. If someone tried to say they got an item DOA, sorry, no returns. I don't sell dead stuff and I know how to package safely. If paypal ever tried to mess with me when a buyer was trying to force a refund I'd walk from their service. It's never happened, if it does I'll deal with it. Saying you accept returns is for people paying less than 10% sales fee. It's asking for people to break your goods after sale and return them. I'm not up for it.
If someone had an issue that had the ring of truth when they contacted me about it, then I would make an exception. Otherwise it's listed on my auctions no returns.

Because of how paypal works, reguardless of if you accept returns or not, paypal will MAKE you accept returns because of how seller and buyer protection work.

I learned this the hardway and fought with them with the BBB and it just didn't work.

Also, scenario

You ship item, someone drops it in UPS/FEDEX/Whatevs shipping, the card dies.

the buyer then recieves a DOA item. if you didn't get insurance, the buyer basically can ask for a refund/file a claim

but i gurantee you, if anything happens, you have to accept returns or you will just lose the claim 99% of the time

I do always insure for sale value. But how can Paypal MAKE me accept a return when I don't accept returns on my auctions? They charge my bank account for the amount of a sale to refund on my behalf? I'll claim fraud through BoA. Don't love the eBay process as it is and that's all Paypal is good for, imo. Would walk from eBay/Paypal and be no poorer I'm guessing. The odds of any of these scenarios coming to pass are increasingly rare anyway since eBay charges 10% sales fee and I generally would rather throw my used shit in a closet than pay eBay 10% to publish my auction. There's risk in selling on eBay, I suppose, though I've never had a single problem selling anything there.

I do always insure for sale value. But how can Paypal MAKE me accept a return when I don't accept returns on my auctions? They charge my bank account for the amount of a sale to refund on my behalf? I'll claim fraud through BoA. /QUOTE]

Try it.. it won't work, BOA will ask you to talk to Paypal.

If you don't work with the buyer then ebay will send the buyer a prepaid label with your registered address on it. When the tracking shows it was delivered they will refund the buyer automatically. They will then put a negative balance on your paypal account. If you don't resolve the negative balance they will send a collection agency after you. So yeah unless you never want to use ebay and paypal again and risk your credit score you do take returns. Its the cost of doing business on ebay which is why I try to avoid ebay at all costs.

Last edited:
So is there anyway to stop someone from swapping damaged items for similar items on Ebay and claiming that it arrived broken and shipping back the broken item to the seller?

Take pictures of the tag on the card and document it. Take a pic stating the date, your name, and the cards serial number written in the picture. If they send back the wrong card, should be pretty easy for ebay to figure out.

I get my money from PayPal when someone buys because I'm established. If someone tried to say they got an item DOA, sorry, no returns. I don't sell dead stuff and I know how to package safely. If paypal ever tried to mess with me when a buyer was trying to force a refund I'd walk from their service. It's never happened, if it does I'll deal with it. Saying you accept returns is for people paying less than 10% sales fee. It's asking for people to break your goods after sale and return them. I'm not up for it.
If someone had an issue that had the ring of truth when they contacted me about it, then I would make an exception. Otherwise it's listed on my auctions no returns.

It never happened to me either until I sold some bitcoin ASICs and the buyers didn't like their ROI after a difficulty spike. I had two separate cases where one guy threatened to refuse shipment unless I lowered the price AFTER the sale, and the other claimed the item was defective and shipped it back to me in a plastic bag :rolleyes:. I have over 440+ eBay feedback, but it is designed to fuck the seller if the buyer has ANY complaint.

but if ebay always sides with the buyer .. it seems the buyer could claim the seller is taking a picture of a different item.

So is there anyway to stop someone from swapping damaged items for similar items on Ebay and claiming that it arrived broken and shipping back the broken item to the seller?

Not really for items that don't have serial numbers, etc. I for one like the idea of having the serial number available right in the listing as you can always point that out to the eBay rep who is ultimately going to decide your case.

Back