• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

EVGA Rumors from Computex

If anything this is good news as masses particularly complain about EVGA Europe and the poor QC and support. This to me sounds like EVGA listening to it's customers. I believe they will find a good replacement.
 
Yeah, if eVGA goes under I'll celebrate. I got screwed out of a warranty with them because of server side "errors" registering my GTX 275, something they still won't own up to more than a year later.



Now that things were cleaned up.
I think you screwed yourself out of the warranty. I had a situation where my 7900 GS was not registered and failed. In the end EVGA replaced it with an 8800GT that still gets used to game a few days every week.

I then bought a GTX 260 from EVGA but it’s since been resold. And I am on an EVGA X58 right now.

But since then I have had to buy 2 XFX cards and have 2 more that should be shipping out to me today. I would have bought all 4 from EVGA if they had the option.

And Kyle thanks for getting EVGA to comment on things. I like doing business with them so whatever is really going on I just hope the make the right decisions to keep the company crowing.
 
I'd hate to see EVGA's motherboard's go away. They are some of the best X58 and P55 mobos out there (if not the best).
 
And Kyle thanks for getting EVGA to comment on things. I like doing business with them so whatever is really going on I just hope the make the right decisions to keep the company crowing.

EVGA was a simple phone call away. Funny the rep said, "Hey been a long time." And I said, "Yeah, because your company refuses to call us about any of its product line."

I think EVGA has always felt that it does not get the reviews it "should" on HardOCP and because of that EVGA will NOT come to us for reviews. This goes a LONG ways back too. We have to go to EVGA and beg for product or purchase. Frankly I just figured we have other companies coming to us to review its products so we will focus on those.
 
I don't like bad news for EVGA. I run EVGA boards and cards.

Scaling back in Europe could just be a reaction to the economy over there, lots of companies are doing it. The European consumer is in trouble for the next few years, demand for enthusiast PC parts probably won't be very high over there.

Losing their motherboard team is bad news. They've been producing excellent boards, especially since X58. Citing SR-2 and current product releases as proof nothing is happening at EVGA motherboard division doesn't mean anything, if the team was let go just now the results will show in the next product cycle or two. Hopefully EVGA hires a new team who are equally competent. To see EVGA pull out of the motherboard market would suck, and I see no reason why they would.
 
Service was never the reason they took off anyway, it was purely the lifetime warranties. Every time I've had to deal with them the support process was convoluted and a headache, especially with 'system registration processing errors' which suddenly turns a warranty into nothing, and yeah I won't deal with them anymore.

Yup, put me on that list. Lost a lifetime warranty with eVGA because of their bullshit, and the one-year warranty is now over.

Naturally they wouldn't do anything about it, and naturally I won't be buying any of their products in the future. If there are any products to buy that is.
 
Yup, put me on that list. Lost a lifetime warranty with eVGA because of their bullshit, and the one-year warranty is now over.

Naturally they wouldn't do anything about it, and naturally I won't be buying any of their products in the future. If there are any products to buy that is.

BTW, can anyone give me any links backing up the fact that eVGA screws people out of warranties?
 
EVGA’s President and CEO, Andrew Han, has posted a statement regarding the rumors that began circulating early this week that the company was having troubles and had "dismissed its entire Taiwan motherboard team."

It would seem that our initial thoughts on the subject were correct, there was definitely more playing out behind the scenes and the rumors weren’t completely accurate. For those of you that missed our initial report on the situation, you can see that here.

Here’s a quote from the EVGA press release:

EVGA Motherboard Team: Yes, there are some people that have left the EVGA motherboard team for personal reasons, it is NOT as the rumors claim, "the entire team." EVGA has proven to implement our core competence "Intelligent Innovation" to give a lot of exciting and surprising motherboard experiences on our products over the years. EVGA will continue invest and develop the best of the best motherboards to our community.
 
To me it looks like Sapphire just wants to get into the Motherboard business. They saw what EVGA was doing and decided to try and score some of EVGA's employees. Why start from scratch when you can steal another company's employees.
 
For all you that bashed us for posting the rumors how we did I would suspect now feel sort of like an ass? We did NOT post the subsequent rumors you saw, because we could not find supporting information on them. When we give you rumors, I will promise you that at the time of posting, there is a basis of truth to them. I would also suggest that Andrew Han is certainly spinning things to make EVGA look better.
 
Kyle, you guys clearly stated that they were rumors and not fully substantiated. Those people with terrible reading comprehension aren't worth the time to rebut. I also know, as a long time [H] reader (and short time forum poster) that if they turned out to be complete bunk, we would see an update about it on the main news page; unlike other sites that would just let it die a quiet death. Keep up the fantastic work.
 
I have to question EVGA's devotion to Nvidia and wonder how much it's hurting them. I think it was the cause of BFG's downfall. Love 'em of hate 'em,Nvidia hasn't been top dog for a while now,and it doesn't look like their latest offerings are going to change that. I doubt Sapphire could be any real threat,I wouldn't buy a graphics card from them,let alone a motherboard,but EVGA better watch out for XFX,they could be the winners when the smoke from this tech shake down clears.
 
I have to question EVGA's devotion to Nvidia and wonder how much it's hurting them. I think it was the cause of BFG's downfall. Love 'em of hate 'em,Nvidia hasn't been top dog for a while now,and it doesn't look like their latest offerings are going to change that. I doubt Sapphire could be any real threat,I wouldn't buy a graphics card from them,let alone a motherboard,but EVGA better watch out for XFX,they could be the winners when the smoke from this tech shake down clears.

I am not wondering if Sapphire isn't tired of being smacked around by comparatively small companies. (look how XFX enjoys such a status with ATI users) any they have the resources to make an enthusiast line of products. if they could get their warranties and customer service up to par I think EVGA would have an issue. and it would seem that not everything was roses there either as the defections seem to have come somewhat easy (assuming that this was fairly sudden)

hell look how galaxy has changed. not long ago I would not have recommend a product from them. now they are leading the pack (in terms of new and real innovation) well it seems a lot of other people are asleep or pulling out of the race.

then again this is pure spec on my part.
 
Oh, without a doubt.

I would venture to guess that the admission of, "there are some people that have left the EVGA motherboard team for personal reasons, it is NOT as the rumors claim, "the entire team."" means significantly more left than stayed.

And as far as the Euro operations go, yeah, they obviously cleaned house.
Yes, but thats not unnatural for Taiwan, typically "teams" stick together, when a project manager, engineer, or lead that the "team" leaves or finds a job elseware, a majority of them(the team) follow wherever they go, sometimes its to start a new company(like how the OEM Impervo started) or deflect to another.

I'd glad to see that EVGA has commented on that manner and it looks like they will strive to stay in the motherboard business, I'll be curious to see if the new team they hire(whomever they may be) produces the same quality of products as the past team has.
 
I doubt it's true but I also wouldn't point my finger at Nvidia if something does end up happening. I would find it very difficult to believe that EVGA, a card distributor that most likely sold more GPU's than all of AMD's manufactuers combined prior to this gen would go under due to Nvidia's fermi woes. We'll see what happens from this point though.
 
So essentially EVGA thinks because it's an "enthusiast" company it automatically deserves good press from enthusiast 'sites.

Well any poor reviews of their motherboard products is their own fault, due to the fact they made so many mobos based on the various crappy nForce based chipsets. In fact I just looked on their 'site and they are still selling nForce 7xx mobos as B stock. It is their own decision to stay wedded to one company, nVidia for so long. They can't blame the press for that.

Just to clarify on that point, EVGA did not initially make NVIDIA chipset based boards. Those boards were made by Foxconn and were designed by NVIDIA and built to NVIDIA's specifications. EVGA like BFG and other companies branded those reference boards with their own logos and packaging for resale. When they were reviewed, they were actually positively reviewed for the most part. Its when the things started blowing up, burning up, frying memory modules, corrupting data over SATA ports, over heating, experiencing USB port failures, RAID controller compatibility problems, poor quad core overclocking, etc. that negative "press" started to hit them. It wasn't even directed at EVGA so much as it was all boards of that design. Even the ASUS and Gigabyte offerings were effected as well leading some to conclude that the silicon was flawed by design or manufacture, from NVIDIA and the semi-conductor fabs themselves from the start.

In any case EVGA went on to design better boards addressing the weaknesses of those reference designs prior to designing and building Intel X58 chipset based boards and later P55 Express chipset boards and others. The reviews of their own designs have been pretty solid for the most part with a few like the EVGA X58 3X SLI getting a "meh" review for not being anything special. The reason? It wasn't special. It was slightly quirkier than the two or three boards we looked at before hand which were all stellar. Boards like the EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified were well received for their outstanding layout and exceptional overclocking.

EVGA has always gotten what they've deserved in regard to reviews. What they think about us in regard to that is irrelevant.
 
I doubt it's true but I also wouldn't point my finger at Nvidia if something does end up happening. I would find it very difficult to believe that EVGA, a card distributor that most likely sold more GPU's than all of AMD's manufactuers combined prior to this gen would go under due to Nvidia's fermi woes. We'll see what happens from this point though.
Nvidia's 2xx series really didn't do that well. Look at the steam hardware survey. It shows more 4800 series parts than the entire 2xx series combined. ATI also had much better margins on their products than Nvidia due to using smaller dies and having lower power consumption.
 
Nvidia's 2xx series really didn't do that well. Look at the steam hardware survey. It shows more 4800 series parts than the entire 2xx series combined. ATI also had much better margins on their products than Nvidia due to using smaller dies and having lower power consumption.

I've always ignored the Steam Hardware Survey since day one. It's the equivalent of showing iphone vs other phone sales in BestBuy only. Never paints an accurate picture.
 
Nvidia's 2xx series really didn't do that well. Look at the steam hardware survey. It shows more 4800 series parts than the entire 2xx series combined. ATI also had much better margins on their products than Nvidia due to using smaller dies and having lower power consumption.

That's just one source of information. Hardly conclusive.
 
Nvidia's 2xx series really didn't do that well. Look at the steam hardware survey. It shows more 4800 series parts than the entire 2xx series combined. ATI also had much better margins on their products than Nvidia due to using smaller dies and having lower power consumption.

How does anyone know what either company's profit margins looked like? 4870 also used more expensive vrms than all of the 55nm gt200 cards and had more expensive GDDR5. You are just jumping to conclusions.

You do know that cards like 4850 were competing with G80/92 and not GT200 and if you include that into the mix it looks much better for Nvidia.
 
Just to clarify on that point, EVGA did not initially make NVIDIA chipset based boards. Those boards were made by Foxconn and were designed by NVIDIA and built to NVIDIA's specifications. EVGA like BFG and other companies branded those reference boards with their own logos and packaging for resale. When they were reviewed, they were actually positively reviewed for the most part. Its when the things started blowing up, burning up, frying memory modules, corrupting data over SATA ports, over heating, experiencing USB port failures, RAID controller compatibility problems, poor quad core overclocking, etc. that negative "press" started to hit them. It wasn't even directed at EVGA so much as it was all boards of that design. Even the ASUS and Gigabyte offerings were effected as well leading some to conclude that the silicon was flawed by design or manufacture, from NVIDIA and the semi-conductor fabs themselves from the start.

In any case EVGA went on to design better boards addressing the weaknesses of those reference designs prior to designing and building Intel X58 chipset based boards and later P55 Express chipset boards and others. The reviews of their own designs have been pretty solid for the most part with a few like the EVGA X58 3X SLI getting a "meh" review for not being anything special. The reason? It wasn't special. It was slightly quirkier than the two or three boards we looked at before hand which were all stellar. Boards like the EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified were well received for their outstanding layout and exceptional overclocking.

EVGA has always gotten what they've deserved in regard to reviews. What they think about us in regard to that is irrelevant.

Yep, my MSI P7N Diamond which was a nice non-reference board suffered from a corrupted raid array, memory compatibility issues, and eventually the northbridge died after four months with a mild overclock on a dual core. Nvidia chipsets sucked.

To me it looks like Sapphire just wants to get into the Motherboard business. They saw what EVGA was doing and decided to try and score some of EVGA's employees. Why start from scratch when you can steal another company's employees.

Sapphire is ATI's OEM if I'm not mistaken. They could also be going into the video card end of things for all that we know.

I doubt it's true but I also wouldn't point my finger at Nvidia if something does end up happening. I would find it very difficult to believe that EVGA, a card distributor that most likely sold more GPU's than all of AMD's manufactuers combined prior to this gen would go under due to Nvidia's fermi woes. We'll see what happens from this point though.

Evga cards don't do nearly as well overseas as they do here so no Evga never sold more cards than all of ATI's partners combined. I would like to see some proof of that claim which would shock me if it were even half true.
 
I doubt it's true but I also wouldn't point my finger at Nvidia if something does end up happening. I would find it very difficult to believe that EVGA, a card distributor that most likely sold more GPU's than all of AMD's manufactuers combined prior to this gen would go under due to Nvidia's fermi woes. We'll see what happens from this point though.

Nvidia's woes actually started before Fermi. When the 2xx series was first introduced,they looked like winners.I've got a 285 myself. But that was before ATI released it's 5000 series. If I had known how well the 5870 would perform,at a considerably lower price,I might have gotten one instead. The problem is,Nvidia never expected ATI to outdo them either,and aren't playing catch up very well. After endless months of delays,they release cards that run far hotter,consume more power,and really aren't that much faster. For a company as joined at the hip with them as EVGA is,in a currently weak market,that's bad news no matter how you cut it.
 
Has anyone found out if the EU manager is being replaced or has been replaced? No replacement prob means support will be gone but if they are hring a replacement there is hope.
 
Nvidia's woes actually started before Fermi. When the 2xx series was first introduced,they looked like winners.I've got a 285 myself. But that was before ATI released it's 5000 series. If I had known how well the 5870 would perform,at a considerably lower price,I might have gotten one instead. The problem is,Nvidia never expected ATI to outdo them either,and aren't playing catch up very well. After endless months of delays,they release cards that run far hotter,consume more power,and really aren't that much faster. For a company as joined at the hip with them as EVGA is,in a currently weak market,that's bad news no matter how you cut it.

You do bing up some very good points but I find it very hard to believe that Evga or any vendor's bread and butter is in the ultra high end market. I'm sure that Evga still makes good money on GTS250 and their lower end models.
 
How does anyone know what either company's profit margins looked like? 4870 also used more expensive vrms than all of the 55nm gt200 cards and had more expensive GDDR5. You are just jumping to conclusions.

You do know that cards like 4850 were competing with G80/92 and not GT200 and if you include that into the mix it looks much better for Nvidia.

I am playing fanboi here (I bought a GTX280 myself) but as profitable product the GTX200 did suck. true it used cheaper parts but having the far more complex design more then made up the difference. so even without the chip difference it cost more. in terms of price per performance (and therefore margins) the 4800 simply mopped the floor with the GT200. that is why Nvidia had to EOL it early. they were bleeding money off the line.

I would not worry about it much though, even with the current lemon line that is fermi nvidia is still strong largely due the phenomenal success of the G80 and its children. come to think about it I am pretty sure ATI last two stellar lines do not equal the success of that line. the G80 ruled the roost for a LONG time
 
that should have been not playing the fanboi above. (no edit button)
 
I am playing fanboi here (I bought a GTX280 myself) but as profitable product the GTX200 did suck. true it used cheaper parts but having the far more complex design more then made up the difference. so even without the chip difference it cost more. in terms of price per performance (and therefore margins) the 4800 simply mopped the floor with the GT200. that is why Nvidia had to EOL it early. they were bleeding money off the line.

I would not worry about it much though, even with the current lemon line that is fermi nvidia is still strong largely due the phenomenal success of the G80 and its children. come to think about it I am pretty sure ATI last two stellar lines do not equal the success of that line. the G80 ruled the roost for a LONG time

As far as price vs performance I wouldn't call a 4870 a better card unless we are talking launch prices. I personally wasn't at all impressed by my 4870 and especially my x2 compared to a GTX260. Maybe had I never used a GTX260 beforehand I would have been happier, idk.

You seem to be forgetting that 4870 also launched with a smaller die size which could also make that a bit tougher to make and I'm sure GDDR5 wasn't too common at the time either. Honestly there is no way to really know without looking at Nvidia's and ATI's books to find out which was a more profitable card. I highly doubt that the difference was that substantial except for maybe towards the end. If you want to lump Quattro into the mix I'm sure that changes things quite a bit too.
 
Back
Top