P6T or eVGA

• eVGA

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • P6T

Votes: 41 63.1%

• Total voters

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
Hey guys, I have got all of my parts picked out for my new build. The only thing holding me back is the motherboard. I wanna know given the choice what would you guys go with. On one hand I have always used Asus, and have never been disappointed with them. On the other it seems like eVGA is no slouch, and their x58 board looks really nice. As far as space, I am ok with both, on the Asus board I get at least one slot of cooling between cards, and eVGA I would get two slots.

I've never had a problem with high end Asus Intel boards on Intel chipsets. Asus releases new bioses to address issues fairly quickly also.

I know EVGA has a great customer support, but the Asus board just rocks!

I have the same problem and am going to wait for some serious reviews of the evga board.

Just two thoughts......The lower priced ASUS board will not do Triple SLi if that is a goal for you.
The evga board will allow you to run dual cards and still use a PCI sound card, but not in Three way SLi.
The ASUS Rampage Sooper-de-dooper board will let you do everything, and it might take the dog for a walk, too.

I am leaning very heavily toward the evga board and I have used ASUS for a long time; that said, my last two ASUS boards were overclocking dogs and I want something that will overclock and allow me to use my X-Fi PCI card.......(what I really want is the Gigabyte X58-UD5 but it has the same PCI-e slot issues). evga has great customer support and i think that in and of itself is a selling point on something so new.

I never plan to go triple-SLI and wanted to keep my PCI Sound-card and use my gigabit PCI-E x 1 card, so the p6t was really my only option...

Unless you need 3-Way SLI support I'd go with the P6T. I haven't worked with the EVGA board yet so I can't really give a sound opinion on it. I'll say this: So far ASUS offerings for the Core i7 have just been outstanding.

I have the same problem and am going to wait for some serious reviews of the evga board.

Just two thoughts......The lower priced ASUS board will not do Triple SLi if that is a goal for you.
The evga board will allow you to run dual cards and still use a PCI sound card, but not in Three way SLi.
The ASUS Rampage Sooper-de-dooper board will let you do everything, and it might take the dog for a walk, too.

I am leaning very heavily toward the evga board and I have used ASUS for a long time; that said, my last two ASUS boards were overclocking dogs and I want something that will overclock and allow me to use my X-Fi PCI card.......(what I really want is the Gigabyte X58-UD5 but it has the same PCI-e slot issues). evga has great customer support and i think that in and of itself is a selling point on something so new.

Yeah, if I did go with the Asus, then I'd get the x1 PCI-e X-Fi. Tri SLi is not a current goal. I was gonna get dual x2's but after seeing some of the stories in the AMD section I decided it would be safer and just as fast to get dual GTX 280's. From what everyone has said so far I may go with the P6T. The turn off for the Rampage was that fact that dual cards would be right up against each other.

evga lifetime warranty. i WAS holding out for the evga FTW mobo but i think i'll go with the current board because i'm impatient.

I personally got the P6T it is a nice motherboard.

I tend to stick with companies that I trust. I got my first Asus board in the P4 days and I haven't looked back.

Would have gone with EVGA myself, used them in the past on other builds, never had a problem, and then you have that warranty if anything should happen.

I have an EVGA X58, I love it, support is great, the forums are great, I got a free t-shirt because of it. I haven't had a single problem with it yet. The only thing I recommend is waiting for the FTW Edition. Apparently there will be no step from the model that is out now. It hasn't been confirmed, I am hoping there is though.

i havent used both, but i have the evga, and it is almost flawless. only thing wrong is placement of the 8 pin 12v connector. great overclocker, nice software that works (!!), separate coolers make installing wc or aftermarket cooling on chipset and/or pwm easier. great bios options, ie wide ranges and fine granularity of voltage adjustments. also, of course, evga warranty service. when you register your board you can buy a warranty package for $15 - $20 that includes overnight shipping of a new board to you, if yours breaks. and a label for shipping your zorched board back.

ASUS has been on the ball with LGA 1366, although my opinion is a bit bias at this point :D

The asus board is an excellent board w/very easy overclocking. I have had nothing but EVGA (one XFX out of desperation) boards or ASUS in the past 5 years and I usually lean toward ASUS if when I can. Nothing wrong however with EVGA--it was just easy to buy a researched board that's been proven by many members here as well as reviewed by Kyle.

Im sure the EVGA board is fine too. I didn't get a shirt either :(

yo. couldn't wait for the damned FTW edition. i just jumped aboard this evga motherboard. got my watercooling on the way. i'm good to go.

I can't say enough how happy I am that making a decision on a new PC part is so hard again. That shows that competition is coming back. For a while there it was clear what to get and what not; now you've got the 48xx's, GTX 200's, and the x58 chipset that seems to be kicking ass no matter the company. As it stands now, it looks like I will be putting the P6T in my cart at the Egg. Looks like I can just put a PCI-e x1 X-Fi in the x4 slot that rests above the x16 slots. Thanks guys!

evga!!

105843672_1dfe6cbaac_o.jpg

or wait for the dfi black death.

LOL!

My brother-in-law and I are building Core i7 system for each and he went with eVGA X58, while I went for Asus P6T. We just got our system so let's see how it turns out...

Anand did a review and comparison of X58 boards recently and had both P6T and eVGA X58. At the end, P6T was favored over all the other boards and some minor shortcomings of eVGA was noted.. check it out!

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3471

I'm biased I got a new EVGA X58 board for GTX 260 Tri-SLi and love it. It was easy to install and get up and running with Tri-SLi, and easy to get a decent OC with. It's been fast and stable with no problems.

LOL!

My brother-in-law and I are building Core i7 system for each and he went with eVGA X58, while I went for Asus P6T. We just got our system so let's see how it turns out...

Anand did a review and comparison of X58 boards recently and had both P6T and eVGA X58. At the end, P6T was favored over all the other boards and some minor shortcomings of eVGA was noted.. check it out!

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3471

That article pointed out the same thing on the eVGA board that Kyle did about only being able to hit a max of 1333MHz on the memory.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the placement of the CPU socket? Seeing that Kyle noted that all of the other companies can hit 1600, and all of their sockets have the centered design. Maybe, maybe not.

That article pointed out the same thing on the eVGA board that Kyle did about only being able to hit a max of 1333MHz on the memory.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the placement of the CPU socket? Seeing that Kyle noted that all of the other companies can hit 1600, and all of their sockets have the centered design. Maybe, maybe not.

The BIOS has been updated to allow for pretty much any speed DDR3 you can think of and some that aren't invented yet.

The BIOS has been updated to allow for pretty much any speed DDR3 you can think of and some that aren't invented yet.

+1

TAKEN FROM EVGA'S FORUM:

This BETA BIOS is ONLY for the EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard (part number 132-BL-E758-XX)

**Notice** This BETA BIOS flash will reset all BIOS options back to defaults. Please note that this is a BETA BIOS and is not intended as a production release.

SZ1A BETA 1 Updates:
Adds memory support for 1333MHz, 1600MHz, 1866MHz, 2133MHz, 2400MHz, 2667MHz, 2933MHz, 3200MHz, 3467MHz, 3733MHz, 4000MHz (2:10, 2:12, 2:14, 2:16, 2:18, 2:20, 2:22, 2:24, 2:26, 2:28, 2:30)
Enables support for these memory speeds on all retail CPU's (920, 940, 965)

I'm digging my x58. Will be adding a third 260 soon then leaving everything alone for the next year.*

*or so i like to tell myself.

Back