* Memory Type: GDDR3
* Memory Interface: 896-bit
* Stream Processors: 480
* Core Clock: 576 MHz
* Memory Clock: 2016 MHz
* Shader Clock: 1242 MHz
* Interface Type: PCI Express 2.0
* Interface Speed: x16
* Connector(s): Dual DVI (Dual Link), VGA (w/DVI to VGA Adapter)
* Multiple Monitors Support: Yes
* Max. Monitors Supported: 2
* Multi-GPU Support: Quad-SLI
* Overclocked: No
* APIs: DirectX 10
* 1080p Support: Yes
* Video Output: DVI, S-Video
* Low Profile: No
* Cooling Type: Fan

$449 - 20MIR = $429

Haven't confirmed B&M, but saw this on their online store.

Why? I'd pick a Radeon 5870 or crossfire some 4870s for cheap.

what do you mean why? lots of people simply like nvidia.
If the "why" so hard to answer, evga should ask themselves why they keep selling them..

what do you mean why? lots of people simply like nvidia.
If the "why" so hard to answer, evga should ask themselves why they keep selling them..

I'm wondering when evga is going to start selling Radeons. It's got to be imminent.
I would choose the 5870 over the GTX295 even if prices were even. Eyefinity is the next gamer upgrade. That's why.

Roseville Fry's doesn't seem to have them. They have a whole bunch 'O shiney (and useless) G210 cards for 55bucks...

I would choose the 5870 over the GTX295 even if prices were even. Eyefinity is the next gamer upgrade. That's why.
Wrong.
Even if Eyefinity was able to do 100 monitors that wouldn't change the fact it is still a flat world....3D Vision that is a REAL way of experiencing real 3d worlds not flat paintings.
GTX 295 FTW

I'm wondering when evga is going to start selling Radeons. It's got to be imminent.

Never.

EVGA is the only major Nvidia partner left that only does Nvidia and Intel-based products. Nvidia will keep it that way, since ATi / AMD are teamed together.

Roseville Fry's doesn't seem to have them. They have a whole bunch 'O shiney (and useless) G210 cards for 55bucks...

Not useless... they have the hdmi port which i believe carries sound good for a tv set up and a low end type computer

Video Memory: 1792MB???

just not too long ago 512mb was the max lol

still the fastest card on the market, in for one thanks OP

would buy a hd5870 if they would let me use my 20-30-20 setup. but nooooo. gotta spend $2000 on more monitors. no thanks

Should read something like Video Memory: 896MB x2, The 1792MB is a bit of a crock since each GPU can only address 1/2 of the total memory on board.

p.s. Reason to go for Nvidia -- F@H/GPU folding.... I'd love to grab one of the new ATI (err AMD?) cards, however I don't do near as much gaming as I used to, but I do fold 24/7. And from what I can tell, ATI/AMD cards still suck ass in that respect.

Should read something like Video Memory: 896MB x2, The 1792MB is a bit of a crock since each GPU can only address 1/2 of the total memory on board.

p.s. Reason to go for Nvidia -- F@H/GPU folding.... I'd love to grab one of the new ATI (err AMD?) cards, however I don't do near as much gaming as I used to, but I do fold 24/7. And from what I can tell, ATI/AMD cards still suck ass in that respect.

agreed I have some 8800s and 4890s. Will not be purchasing any more atis until stanford gets the ppd cranked up. The 4890s are great for gaming but im still looking to dump them for a gtx 295 for folding

would buy a hd5870 if they would let me use my 20-30-20 setup. but nooooo. gotta spend $2000 on more monitors. no thanks

If your 20" lcds are 1600x1200, you could simply rotate it to portrait mode.
2560+2400 x 1600

I think most gamers are still waiting to move up to 24" or 30" before they start going dual or tri monitor.

I said it before and I will say it again, AMD/ATI seriosly shot themselves in the foot by releasing the 5870 with unoptimized drivers.

When HD 4870x2 came out drivers for it were hit/miss. In some games it dominate GTX 280 in others particularly Crysis, GTX 280 pulled ahead somewhat. Five to six months later when ATI finally fine tuned their drivers HD 4870x2 was near equivalent of GTX 260c216 sli or GTX 295 in many instances.

Same thing happened to HD 4890 and I expect the same thing to happen to HD 5870. GTX 295 is basically two GTX 275 SLI'ed with a 10% downclock. Since HD 5870 is a theoretical HD 4890 CF or GTX 275 SLI (with no loss due to software scaling ) I do not find it unreasonable for HD 5870 to pull 10% ahead of GTX 295 with subsequent driver updates.

Last edited:
Anyone check the Fishers, IN Fry's for stock?

I probably don't have the cash, and the wife will be with me, but if there are any in stock I may try to stage a coup on my wallet.

eyefinity only works with monitors that are the exact same resolution guys, it has nothing to do with some adapter, or rotating the monitors in portrait mode (which they already are, its sweeeeet). the only way it could POSSIBLY (I have not seen or confirmed this, just a thought) work is lowering the resolution of the largest monitor to that of the smallest resolution monitor.

Not useless... they have the hdmi port which i believe carries sound good for a tv set up and a low end type computer

Well... reviews from Anandtech show it to be too costly for what it was supposed to do.

Seriously - best folder is the best thing we can say for a $429 video card? Drop the price by $50 and then we've got the start of a competition. Nvidia still seems to be sticking to its high price points.

I think most gamers are still waiting to move up to 24" or 30" before they start going dual or tri monitor.

This is probably true, but I'm not

this is blatantly wrong

If your 20" lcds are 1600x1200, you could simply rotate it to portrait mode.
2560+2400 x 1600

They are setup that way, and from the engineering mumbo jumbo I have seen, the only way eyefinity works is if the largest monitor has the same resolution as the smallest monitor. No multi monitor gaming unless all monitors have the exact same resolution.

I would like to see if lowering the resolution of the largest monitor to that of the smallest would work, but I haven't been able to find any info on that yet. Nor have I really looked, because who really wants to lower the monitor res down from 2560x1600 down to 1600x1200 - kinda defeats the purpose

When these are about $350 they'll probably be worth it. Not a "hot deal" for now.

Wrong.
Even if Eyefinity was able to do 100 monitors that wouldn't change the fact it is still a flat world....3D Vision that is a REAL way of experiencing real 3d worlds not flat paintings.
GTX 295 FTW
Right, because that 3D Vision bullshit caught on like wildfire the last time nvidia had it. (Hint: I'm being sarcastic)

Worst $50 fucking dollars I ever spent. Damn glasses.

I would like to see if lowering the resolution of the largest monitor to that of the smallest would work, but I haven't been able to find any info on that yet. Nor have I really looked, because who really wants to lower the monitor res down from 2560x1600 down to 1600x1200 - kinda defeats the purpose

I would wait for [H] HD 5870 vs HD 4870x2 vs GTX 295 before making this decision.

I would wait for [H] HD 5870 vs HD 4870x2 vs GTX 295 before making this decision.

Who knows what a couple years of driver changes will bring, but when I asked Kyle about it in another thread, he said different resolutions wouldn't work either. Sad Panda

Also, all monitors have to be in either portrait or all be in landscape, so that is another hurtle 20-30-20 and 17-24-17 etc owners have to cross.

Last edited:
Back