EVGA GTX 770 4GB vs. R290

780Ti comes with 150 bucks worth of games which you could sell
so if you even get 120 for them you now 20 bucks a head on the 780Ti
just saying
so you are going to get 120 bucks for the games? stop exaggerating. I just told you in another thread that 50-55 bucks in the fs section here is what they are going for.

so you are going to get 120 bucks for the games? stop exaggerating. I just told you in another thread that 50-55 bucks in the fs section here is what they are going for.

then people are cheap asses
its not like they are old games

just saying

Well, ignoring the topic at hand and just answer this:

LOL. Please. Those games are selling for 10-15$ each at MOST. Go look at the classifieds here, it's called game code depreciation. Same thing happened with Never settle - people were selling crysis 3 and tomb raider for like 10 bucks. THOSE GAMES do not sell for 40-50$ a piece, you're either out of your mind or being disingenuous. :rolleyes:

Why even argue at this point, anyway. The 780 Ti today isn't that great of a buy due to VRAM and price. Once the 6GB and higher units get out, it's a different story.

Seriously. How the hell did the 780ti enter the conversation. That's like a completely different ballpark in terms of price... I'd say the 290 is a pretty good card to buy if you don't mind the complete shit cooler that AMD throws on there, BUT keep in mind that cooler is completely outclassed by NV reference shroud for the 700 series. If you lower the fan speed too far on the 290, you'll basically be operating at GTX 770 speeds anyway - so be warned that you have to use high fan speeds and put up with the noise to get proper performance from the 290.

Personally i'd get the GTX 770. I can't stand that stupid AMD cooler, and the fact that you lose performance for low fan speeds seals that fact...... but maybe aftermarket 290 cards can change this. So either wait for aftermarket 290s if you value acoustics, or buy a GTX 770. IMHO.

The 290 could be a good card but only if you can put up with high fan speeds that are required for proper performance. I'd personally would rather just get a GTX 770 or vanilla 780 even if it costs more...As far as the 290 goes; Great chip and terrible cooler, if you buy one i'd wait for aftermarket unless the OP can tolerate the high fan RPM noise.

Should that noise/heat be a problem with aftermarket coolers? Personally, I've never used aftermarket coolers on GPU so I can't comment.

Anyways, can I get some help with some questions posted here (http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040366320&postcount=34)? Thanks.

just saying

Yes you can sell for $50 for all 3 in the forums here. I should know I just sold them for that price after I bought 2 780 MSI lightnings.

-I currently have 4670k and ASUS Z87-A on my list...Is 4670k really that inferior compared to 4770k? Can anyone make any comments on MOBO as well?
When shopping for a motherboard look for the board you want with the features you want. What I mean by this, is compare the number of SATA ports, USB 3.0 ports, etc etc etc because that is what pricing tiers are based on. Personally i'm using the Z87-Pro because I wanted WiFi on mine, but this all depends on what features you want. As far as CPU? Currently the 4670k isn't "inferior" but it is plausible that games may take advantage of additional threads in the future. That is actually HIGHLY likely, even BF4 does this right now. I'd personally get a 4770k, but the 4670k isn't inferior.
B) Is Mantle supposed to be AMD equivalent of NVIDIA's phyx?
No. It codes directly to hardware and should offer significant performance improvements. That said, it's going to take a long time for games to implement Mantle, it's a long term proposition. I wouldn't look for any huge changes for Mantle until a year from now, unless you consider BF4. And we don't know how BF4 will compare with Mantle.

1) Considering the parts list in the other thread and the purpose of the rig, will I be able to take advantage of extra memory when I go SLI (x2 or x3 of GTX 770 4GB)?

I wouldn't buy a card today with 2GB of VRAM. I would want a minimum of 3GB.

2) Memory interface differences between R290 (512bit) vs. GTX770 (256bit).
-I know it's early to say anything about R290 until BF4 comes out in 2 weeks but wondering if it's worth pursuing this route for these differences. I am wondering how relevant it is for gaming.

The memory bus seems to be advantageous at high resolutions (eg 4k) but by the time 4k becomes relevant to you, the 290 will be a distant memory. I'd say it isn't too important yet, unless you're using 4k screens..

[/quote]

IMO, Asus, Gigabyte, because they provide the best aftermarket options. Reference, probably sapphire.

Do you value acoustics? IF so wait for an aftermarket 290 or get a slower performing GTX 770. The 290 cooler has far too many compromises unless you want to put up with a relatively loud cooler - some people don't mind, your opinion may differ. The 290 performs very well but understand that for max performance from the 290 cards, you MUST use a fast and relatively loud (compared to Kepler) fan speeds. Still, the 290 provides unparalleled performance at 400$ if you can put up with the crappy cooler and high fan speeds - it is easily the best value bang for buck card at the moment.

That said, i'd have a hard time opting for a 290 card until aftermarket versions are out. I cannot stand the AMD cooler. It sucks.

Noise smoise Case is wrapped up tight and I usually have headphones on anyway so Im not going to here squat. BTW whats up with the XFX 290 its one of the only ones in stock but doesnt look like anyones buying them? XFX suck now?

R9 290 >> GTX 770 performance wise all day long, why is that even a question? You can argue about stuff like heat and noise but the fact is that the R9 290 is the most powerful option at $400 by a long shot.

Seriously. How the hell did the 780ti enter the conversation. That's like a completely different ballpark in terms of price... I'd say the 290 is a pretty good card to buy if you don't mind the complete shit cooler that AMD throws on there, BUT keep in mind that cooler is completely outclassed by NV reference shroud for the 700 series. If you lower the fan speed too far on the 290, you'll basically be operating at GTX 770 speeds anyway - so be warned that you have to use high fan speeds and put up with the noise to get proper performance from the 290.

Personally i'd get the GTX 770. I can't stand that stupid AMD cooler, and the fact that you lose performance for low fan speeds seals that fact...... but maybe aftermarket 290 cards can change this. So either wait for aftermarket 290s if you value acoustics, or buy a GTX 770. IMHO.

You would seriously get an inferior card that gets bent over a pickle barrel and fucked in the ass with a pineapple by the 290??? You also are just as fucking bad as cannondale when it comes to the heat and noise bullshit.

You would seriously get an inferior card that gets bent over a pickle barrel and fucked in the ass with a pineapple by the 290??? You also are just as fucking bad as cannondale when it comes to the heat and noise bullshit.

Well that graphically escalated quickly lol.

Inferior card? If you say so. AMD's software and acoustics are NOT GOOD compared to nvidia, so yes - yes I would get the nvidia solution. I wouldn't touch the 290 until it has an adequate cooler that doesn't lose performance for quiet operation. Fuck that shit.

To me the "inferior card" doesn't throttle down the 727mhz at quiet operating levels as the 290X did at tomshardware and PCPer. By the time 290 is done throttling, it probably would be slower than the GTX 770......not unless you use ridiculous fan speeds can the 290 stretch its legs, and i'm sorry, some people value acoustics. The "inferior card" GTX 770 boosts well past advertised boost speeds out of the box while the 290 struggles to even HIT its boost speed unless you use ridiculously high fan levels.

Sorry, yeah, the 290 is a great chip but until aftermarket designs come out, i'm not interested. AMD's reference design (cooling) is low quality despite the actual Hawaii chip being very good, no way would I touch that shit unless it were an Asus DC II or something along those lines.

Inferior card? If you say so. AMD's software and acoustics are NOT GOOD compared to nvidia, so yes - yes I would get the nvidia solution. I wouldn't touch the 290 until it has an adequate cooler that doesn't lose performance for quiet operation. Fuck that shit.

To me the "inferior card" doesn't throttle down the 727mhz at quiet operating levels as the 290X did at tomshardware and PCPer. By the time 290 is done throttling, it probably would be slower than the GTX 770......not unless you use ridiculous fan speeds can the 290 stretch its legs, and i'm sorry, some people value acoustics. The "inferior card" GTX 770 boosts well past advertised boost speeds out of the box while the 290 struggles to even HIT its boost speed unless you use ridiculously high fan levels.

Sorry, yeah, the 290 is a great chip but until aftermarket designs come out, i'm not interested. AMD's reference design (cooling) is low quality despite the actual Hawaii chip being very good, no way would I touch that shit unless it were an Asus DC II or something along those lines.

So how do you explain the [H] review of the 290?

So how do you explain the [H] review of the 290?

They tested it at a fan speed that I would not be comfortable with. I used a 7970 and I never used manual fan speeds that high, it is bothersome to me. As the 290 ties fan speed with performance, the level of fan speed that I would use - would basically offset the performance advantage that the 290 has. The 290 throttles VERY SIGNIFICANTLY at 40% fan speed, so much so that it performs basically around the level a 280X after a warm up period.

Sorry, that design is crippled. I'd be interested in aftermarket 290s, maybe, but the default AMD reference design leaves a lot to be desired. That's what I really dislike about the 290, the direct correlation between fan speed and performance; this has never existed on any prior GPU to this extent. With this being the case AMD should not have released the card with that terrible reference shroud that they're using - the 290 has the potential to be freaking awesome, but only if the cooling and fan speed is adequate. I'm not comfortable with that trade-off existing with the reference design. Aftermarket can and will fix this, but the reference design in my eyes is dead in the water to anyone that values acoustics.

This thread is a joke. Comparing the vastly inferior 770 to the 290 is insulting. Its worst than comparing the 780 vs the 770.

This thread is a joke. Comparing the vastly inferior 770 to the 290 is insulting. Its worst than comparing the 780 vs the 770.

:rolleyes:

Anyways, I don't see how this thread is worse than 780 vs. 770. I hope you do realize that I am not comparing against typical GTX 770 2GB card. To me, I often read comments about heat and noise issues, and I'd like to ask experts on this forum for their opinions on these cards in general.

BTW, thanks xoleras! When you say aftermarket 290, do you mean aftermarket coolers like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426031)?

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Anyways, I don't see how this thread is worse than 780 vs. 770. I hope you do realize that I am not comparing against typical GTX 770 2GB card. To me, I often read comments about heat and noise issues, and I'd like to ask experts on this forum for their opinions on these cards in general.

BTW, thanks xoleras! When you say aftermarket 290, do you mean aftermarket coolers like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426031)?

I mean something along the lines of an Asus DC2 or something like that. Link doesn't work for me but if that's an accelero or gelid cooler - I wouldn't buy a 3rd party cooler, because by the time you spend all that money it will total something like 500$ - money that could go to the superior GTX 780 OC if you're spending that much, you know?

The 290 would be fine if AMD had a good reference design, unfortunately using quiet fan speeds cripples the performance to an extent that just isn't acceptable. So you have a situation where if you can accept a dust buster noise level, you get great performance. Or if you want good acoustics, you get so so performance. If you value acoustics, you're better off saving 70 bucks and getting the 770. A 290 at 35-40% fan speed will be about the same speed as an overclocked GTX 770, while a 290 at 55% fan speed will be roughly in line with the 780.

Personally I think the fan speed = performance aspect of the 290 is fucking bullshit. I don't think i'd buy a 290 on that basis, you know? It's up to you though. In any case, an aftermarket cooler like the DC2 or MSI twin frozr would be the best bet if you go that route - and those won't be out for about a month on the 290.

They tested it at a fan speed that I would not be comfortable with. I used a 7970 and I never used manual fan speeds that high, it is bothersome to me. As the 290 ties fan speed with performance, the level of fan speed that I would use - would basically offset the performance advantage that the 290 has. The 290 throttles VERY SIGNIFICANTLY at 40% fan speed, so much so that it performs basically around the level a 280X after a warm up period.

Sorry, that design is crippled. I'd be interested in aftermarket 290s, maybe, but the default AMD reference design leaves a lot to be desired. That's what I really dislike about the 290, the direct correlation between fan speed and performance; this has never existed on any prior GPU to this extent. With this being the case AMD should not have released the card with that terrible reference shroud that they're using - the 290 has the potential to be freaking awesome, but only if the cooling and fan speed is adequate. I'm not comfortable with that trade-off existing with the reference design. Aftermarket can and will fix this, but the reference design in my eyes is dead in the water to anyone that values acoustics.

What part of the review where they state that they don't touch the fan speed and didn't have a problem with noise, heat, or throttling did you not understand?

770GTX will not keep up to the 290..

fltv.jpg

I look at the graph, glance at a picture of a Ti and then ask myself: what the hell am I buying for an extra $300?

I look at the graph, glance at a picture of a Ti and then ask myself: what the hell am I buying for an extra $300?

Nothing, because you're not very smart :).

We have neither custom-cooled AMD cards nor 780's with more than 3GB of VRAM, the limit of which we're at today. And hell, the 'value' of the 780Ti will drop significantly with said custom coolers on the AMD cards, so we might even be in for another price drop.

As for the GTX770 4GB... same answer. It's likely over-valued for what you're getting, except that the cooler on the 290 really does blow!

Thank you for the figure. Historically speaking, do all AMD GPU cards suffer from heat and noise? I can deal with noises but heat bothers me. Is lifetime of AMD cards typically shorter than NVIDIA cards (if the answer to the previous questions is, yes).

I have owned 6 AMD cards and none have ever been DOA or died on me..

I have owed 14 Nvidia cards and none have been DOA or died on me..

I run 3 computers with 2 having Nvidia cards (460GTX 768MB and 560GTX SE) the other has a HD7950 which i'm replacing with a 290.

Thank you for the figure. Historically speaking, do all AMD GPU cards suffer from heat and noise? I can deal with noises but heat bothers me. Is lifetime of AMD cards typically shorter than NVIDIA cards (if the answer to the previous questions is, yes).

It's not related, really. Heat, which is a result of power draw, can shorten the lifetime of electronics when they're run hotter than they're designed for. Neither Nvidia nor AMD are really better or worse at this, and there are way too many factors to make such a determination since it's different for every board and HSF combination.

The best way to understand what kind of heat range a particular GPU is capable of generating is to look at it's power connectors, which determine maximum power draw, and to look at power measurements taken by reviewers.

Back