eVGA GTX 512 @ ZZF for $599

Just noticed that the product specs says its clocked at 470? Wasn't it supposed to be 550+? Maybe its a typo, and its supposed to be 570.

bought my 7800gt co for 370 so 230 for a 512mb 7800gtx, gotta love that step up program

Hmmm... With a cooler like that, I would have suspected at least more than 490 MHz core (more than the KO).

Damn... core aside, thats some nice memory. 1.1ns :eek: . IM betting it easily goes beyond 1.8Ghz

Banko said:
eVGA is probably going to make a KO edition with 500/1.8 clocks.

Thier webstie says 490core/1300mem for their KO edition, but still lists 256MB of ram for the same retail price.

:confused:

kuyaglen said:
Thier webstie says 490core/1300mem for their KO edition, but still lists 256MB of ram for the same retail price.

:confused:
That is the regular GTX 256 KO. When they release a 512 KO is what I'm talking about.

Yep, and search no longer works either, which is how I found it to begin with.

guess they took it down ..

according to the evga forums .. there will be 2 versions .. one with just the 550core and i forgot the mem .. and then the black pearl ko edition with higher clocks .. but it comes watercooled .. so according to the forums mods there .. there will be no overclocked air card .. only water .. LAME

here is the link to the pdf

eVGA part number 512-P2-N545

From the nVidia.net forums

wtf .. 470mhz core ? and 1700 mem .. im a bit disappointed on the core clock .. i thought it was supposed to be around 550-580 :(

If the core clock is no higher than the regular 7800gtx (or pretty close to what manufacturers are clocking their cards at) why the need for the massive dual slot cooler? I mean, it couldn't just be for the memory, could it?

who knows .. but according to the evga forums .. the aircooled version will be 470/1700 or something and their overclocked version is strictly watercooled only .. black pearl ko edition will be like 580 / 1800 or soemthing .. comes with this huge waterblock .. so who knows ..

i guess ill wait and see what bfg and leadtek do with their releases

I wish the aircooled version was single slot. I really don't like dual slot coolers.

Dr. X said:
If the core clock is no higher than the regular 7800gtx (or pretty close to what manufacturers are clocking their cards at) why the need for the massive dual slot cooler? I mean, it couldn't just be for the memory, could it?
If the ram gets really hot for some reason which i dont think is happening it would need it. Unless the card shown is the lower clocked version of the high clocked cards, somthing else has changed besides the ram and ram clock

So the air blows out both sides of the heatsink? I would want it all the way out of the case.

The Inq never reported eVGA's specs, did they?

The main difference here seems to be price. This is something that may roll into two products, one at a $599 price point (the old GTX MSRP) and the other much-higher-clocked $649 part. Not sure how many other manufacturers might follow this. The block is probably the aluminum Innovatek...or in other words, a silly useless block. The GTX 256 KO's a waste of money and so this one will be. Bet on the XFX specs being about right and bet on other manufacturers following suit.

In the end, I don't think we'll actually end up seeing anything at $650 depending on stock. Look at the 6800GS and gauge how the system works.

I dont think this is the card that nvidia is gonna launch unless that is a misprint. I think it's a regular GTX with 512mb gddr3.

I think the 470/1700 spec is correct. There are no radical changes to the core, other than the 1.45 volts versus 1.40 on the 256 MB version. The 470 is still a 40 Mhz bump over the current base spec, which is in line for those voltages.

The XFX card that was leaked came with 580/ 1730, but you have to realize that it had no delta. A majority of cards will most likely maintain this GTX delta behavior. That means the net spec of the XFX card is really 540/1730. This is not unrealistic for a factory OC card with a little extra voltage. We already had 490 MHz cards available with 1.40 VCore. The Leadtek 7800 GTX Extreme I tested did 550 (590) on the core. The memory was not too good, 1350 max, but the card showed the current 110 nm core potential.

The real story is the 1.1ns Samsung GDDR3 memory. Samsung rates them to 900 Mhz (1800 effective spec). The current 256 MB cards were a little strapped by the relatively slow 1.6 ns memory(1200 effective spec). If I could scale my card to 1700, assuming similar gains continued as I moved my memory clocks from 1200 to 1440, I would expect to crack 10,000 on 3Dmark05 quite easily.

The standard players will release factory OC'd versions. Expect 500 to 540 on the core with some setting memory at 1800 Mhz.

These specs just look and feel more appropriate to the existing technology. But, to be honest, a little disappointing after all the hype at theinquirer.

I'm still not convinced this is the card that is coming out. I may agree that different manufacturers will do different things with this card. I think most will go or a non delta card because heat dissapation with a single slot cooler is no longer an issue. I'll have to wait and see. It's possible nvidia found that since they aren't going to do single slot cooling they may have did away with the Geometric Delta clock entirely. I think that would be the smart thing to do with such a massive cooler. The Voltage increase can also run the core stable at those top speeds. We'll see when they come. I'll tell you this much, mine isn't gonna be in my box until they go down to around the same price as the X1800XT 512MB which I expect to happen right around Xmas :D

I found the geometric delta had nothing to do with the cooling limitations. I have tested cards using watercooling and the quadro heatsink. All of them benefited performance wise using a delta. It maybe that dynamics between the core and memory change on the newer rev card. But, if they are getting rid of the delta on the 512 MB card, that might explain the 470 clock, which is simply the old core spec with the delta. But that is too low of a spec considering the extra VCore.

Remember, the key to happiness is low expectations. If we expect a 550 core and they deliver 500, we will be disappointed even if a 500 core is an improvement over current gen. ;)

Hmmm, 470MHz is also the stock core clock for the Quadro FX 4500 - which also uses the same GPU and cooler. 470 is pretty conservative considering how high the Leadtek Extreme GTX256 is overclocking with that same dual-slot cooler - 533MHz average from the 5 reviews I've seen so far. I would have expected at least 500MHz+ for the core clockspeed? Maybe the power requirements are too high with that super-fast memory and they've got to balance the core and memory clockspeed to a sensible level?

I figured this would happen with these cards. These and the X1800 XT will be right on par with each other. They would have had to make some radical changes to make this thing 550 core stock.

Well, remember, that release is the vanilla 512 MB GTX. 430 is the previous stock core. Now it is 470. And, how many 490 Mhz 256 Mhz GTX cards are out there with the pint size cooler? Plenty.

Expect to see 500 to 540 on the core of the factory OC's versions from eVGA, XFX and BFG. I would also expect to see 1800 on the memory from a few vendors. The cooler is much more effective, so we wll see higher clocks on the core than we have previously.

I predict air cooled versions around 510 or so and watercooled versions pushing 550.

Back