• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

EVGA GTX 480 $210

Gorilla

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
8,572
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's not a refurb, either. It's eVGA, though -KR. Good deal, nevertheless.
 
Is there a way to do SLI on an 890FX board?

Is there an Nvidia equivalent to "eyefinity" so I can play across 3 monitors?
 
Is there an Nvidia equivalent to "eyefinity" so I can play across 3 monitors?

It's called Nvidia Surround. However, I believe that unlike AMD cards, at this time you MUST have at least 2 nvidia cards in SLI to use surround.
 
Talk about a "Hot" deal. Yuk, yuk... These cards got a bad wrap due to their heat/power, but there is nothing out there that comes close in performance at this price. Put them under water and they OC great.

Looks like retailers were sitting on a shit-ton of unsold 480s...
 
Good price, ~GTX 570 performance at only $210. They do run hot, but with proper airflow through your case or aftermarket cooling then there are zero problems.
 
Talk about a "Hot" deal. Yuk, yuk... These cards got a bad wrap due to their heat/power, but there is nothing out there that comes close in performance at this price. Put them under water and they OC great.

Looks like retailers were sitting on a shit-ton of unsold 480s...

Yeah, I'm pretty tempted by this deal. I've been waiting for a while to replace my hd4890.
 
The 480 is amazing, even now it's hot stuff (figuratively and literally). Drivers are great, performance is top notch, and you usually get a hefty OC if you slap on some aftermarket cooling. I've had mine since 2010 when I bought it used right here on the forum, and after applying the AXP I haven't touched the card since then. Upgraded drivers only a couple times, and only because I realized I hadn't done it in a while, not because something wasn't working and it was necessary. I love that about nvidia.

MOST IMPORTANTLY IT RUNS CRYSIS. :p
 
It's really tempting to jump on that and save myself some money, versus a 570 I'm getting here on the forum, but I've already committed. I think in my specific case though, and P180 Mini, the airflow just wouldn't be enough for that beast, so the few watts I save with a 570 will most likely be noticeable.
 
Look again. Its there. But you do need 2 cards and all monitors must have the same resolution and refresh rate. And you can get sli to work on a non-sli board by getting a program called hypersli.

I think many AMD 8 series boards did add in SLI cert? Or was that only on the 9 series?
 
Gah, I can't believe I'm thinking of buying two more of these (again). The price/performance is just too good. Two of these will cream a 7970 for $100+ cheaper.
 
BTW for those living in California Tigerdirect has the same price without a coupon code. Damn its tempting but the power draw for 2 of them in idle is crazy. I just don't play games enough any more to justify it.
 
Really Tempting, thinking with Monday being the 680 paper release we'll see more discounted 480's / 580's.

Have two in cart so hard not to order...

Thanks for the heads up on tigerdirect too
 
Wow this is a great deal! I just snapped up 2 for SLI.

Cant beat the price/performance for 2 of these.....GReat deal (if you dont care about heat/power/noise)
 
Bought 2. If it ends up that the new nVidia cards are a must buy, these can go back. Somehow I don't see the new cards offering the similar price/performance though, AMD's surely did not.
 
Bought 2. If it ends up that the new nVidia cards are a must buy, these can go back. Somehow I don't see the new cards offering the similar price/performance though, AMD's surely did not.

I agree for $420, there is no better price/performance for these. I am tempted to get 1 more for Tri-sli.
 
Being this is a "KR" model I'm guessing its not eligible for the step up program?
 
Being this is a "KR" model I'm guessing its not eligible for the step up program?

All -KR products purchased ON or AFTER January 1st, 2011 include a 3 year limited warranty from the date of purchase. Registration is recommended. Optional Extended Warranty and Step-Up™ eligibility are offered for purchase upon product registration of a -KR part number within 30 days of the purchase date.

But as someone else posted its not on their list. So maybe it isn't eligible.
 
These are good cards. I absolutely loathe that people (who never owned one) act like they were a flop or are bad cards. Mine does 800/1600/2000, stock cooling and all. Considering the GTX580 was king of the hill only a few months ago, acting like these cards suck is ignorant.
 
I'll use mine until it dies, for sure. If I replace it in my primary gaming rig, it'll go in another one.
 
All -KR products purchased ON or AFTER January 1st, 2011 include a 3 year limited warranty from the date of purchase. Registration is recommended. Optional Extended Warranty and Step-Up™ eligibility are offered for purchase upon product registration of a -KR part number within 30 days of the purchase date.

But as someone else posted its not on their list. So maybe it isn't eligible.

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

After reading that I dont see why it wouldnt be? Looks like you can extend the warrenty and use step-up since its a -KR
 
Good price, ~GTX 570 performance at only $210. They do run hot, but with proper airflow through your case or aftermarket cooling then there are zero problems.
Wow, so the 480 is better than a 560 Ti (448 or not)? :cool:
 
I caved.... Thankyou OP. I've been holding out with my GTX 260 for something better than a 6950 2GB. This I feel fills the spot. A bunch of my friends bought the 6950 2gb for $210 some time ago. Now I can say without hesitation my card is faster than theirs, albeit marginally.

BF3 Max settings 1920x1200 here I come!

Side note: The extra power consumption is a concern, but considering I pay about 15 cents a KWH, over the lifetime of the card (2-3) years the power consumption will only be about $50 bucks based on my usage.
 
Hmmm wondering if I could use one of these as my primary and the GTX 460 just for surround & physix (like that matters). I know SLI is out but I wonder if surround would work since they are similar architecture.

EDIT - little google says no, have to run SLI. Now I wonder if I can SLI a 480 and a 460 slowing the 480 down to lowest common denom...

EDIT V2 - ah never mind. Turns out surround only supports 3 monitors, not 2.
 
Last edited:
I just got one for 249.99 a couple weeks ago... I replaced it with a Zalman VF3000F. The 580 model on newegg fits perfectly with no problems.

I'm going to pick up another one before they sell out, but i'll need to upgrade my PSU.. it's only a 750 and I do OC. I have it on 800/1600/2000 too.

on a side note... besides running A LOT cooler than stock, I had the fanmate on low while playing Final Fantasy 14 on 1680x1050 windowed... looked over on my 2nd monitor and saw the temp reading 103c!! I cranked the fan mate up and it went down to 68c :)

I've been browsing water cooling setups now... :D

****Do you guys think I should pick up a Phenom II 980 and drop my Phenom 820?**** I have it OC'd @ 3.5ghz... I'd like one of those 3.7ghz oc it to 4.2 on a watercooled setup. :)
 
on low while playing Final Fantasy 14 on 1680x1050 windowed...

Wow, someone actually plays FF14, I Pre-ordered that in 2010 and was incredibly disappointed when I first played it. I haven't touched it since. How is it? Did they hold true to their word and fix all the retarded stuff? I still have 6 months worth of pre-paid subscription I haven't used.
 
Dang, I just got a GTX-570HD for $200. Thinking of profiting off of it and getting a local store to sell me one. They say if you show them a lower price they will beat it, and theirs is used @ $200, so I should be able to get one for $175 or so. Hmmm.....
 
Back
Top