EVGA AKIMBO @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
EVGA AKIMBO - If you are looking to add an "aftermarket" cooler to your very hot video card, EVGA looks to be serving up some very fine cooling with their AKIMBO cooling systems it launched a few months ago.

As an OEM cooler the AKIMBO performs incredibly well. Dropping the temps on our card by up to 27ºC is no easy feat. The AKIMBO starts to falter when compared to aftermarket solutions from companies who have been doing this for a much longer time. Still, if you have an older card and are looking to upgrade to an 8800GT this is one card that is worth looking at.

I think if EVGA sold ATI cards and were putting AKIMBO cooling solutions on them people would care alot more about it right now. As it is, who wants to buy an 8800 GT of any flavor with the 4850's out?

That said, I would love to see AKIMBO cooling solutions on the new GTX 200 series.

I think if EVGA sold ATI cards and were putting AKIMBO cooling solutions on them people would care alot more about it right now. As it is, who wants to buy an 8800 GT of any flavor with the 4850's out?
qft
Seems like too little too late. The 8800gt is a great card but with the advent of the 9800's and their price cuts, plus the ATi 4850's in the mix, the 8800gt is not as high on the list any more.
On a side note, I agree with the reviewer's initial account that as a cooler coming with a card, it's great, but not the best option for an after- purchase cooler.

Personally, I loved my accelero s1.

This was about the AKIMBO, not the card. You will see more of this product in the future on other cards I would suspect.

The cooler seems pretty much like what you get with a 8800 GTX. I like how it touts itself as "new" despite this fact.

Unimpressed.

I have had the coolers for about 5months now, I love them, i have my cards flashed from SC to SSC 700core 1000memory, and they idel around 45c , full load around 55c, i run the fans at 60% i cant hear them over my case fans.

Im not sure why the late review, EVGA stoped selling them 2 months ago, but I for one think their worth every penny of the $39.99 i paid.
I did look at some of the other coolers but they eithwe did not vent the hot air out the back or they took up to much room in SLI, altho the back plate on the 2nd card does stop me from using my X-Fi card.

The cooler seems pretty much like what you get with a 8800 GTX. I like how it touts itself as "new" despite this fact.

Unimpressed.

I think the difrence is the back plate, vs the stock cooler on the GTS, its not realy the same as the GTX or Ultras cooler.

Cool review, I was wondering why the AKIMBO sold for a premium. Now I know.

Also, on page 2 there is a typo on one of the headings:
Ooverclock Settings

Yeah, been on the auto-notify list for this cooler for over a month. About 2 or 3 days after I put myself on the list, it was removed evga's website. :( Really sucks because there aren't really many coolers that go well with sli. :( :( , less of course I want to go water cooling.<--too expensive for me.

Seems like you're better off getting the 8800gts512 heatsink from soimeone who ditched their own, i wouldnt pay $40 for this. The accelero s1 is a much better value.

The GTS 512 cooler has a different screw pattern than the GT.

As an owner of two of these coolers for several months, I think there are a number of things that were overlooked in the review.
The first one is that EVGA offers an alternate bios with "tweaked fan settings" to take full advantage of the AKIMBO, which I do not see the reviewer using. Second and more importantly for me is that the cooler exhausts the hot air outside the case, I am much happier with my GPUs running 10 degrees hotter than brand x cooler if it means that my cpu/northbridge/rest of the case can cool stay cooler. This cooler was just what I was looking for to quiet my cards.
I'm very happy with mine.

The akimbo has been out for quite awhile, it gave people with the old 8800GT, the better cooling of the recently released 8800GTS 512.

Why [H] reviewed it now? I'm not sure, now or never I guess. (This is a response to those complaining why anyone would even think about buying this).

anyone who bought a 8800gt before the akimbo should get this for free from evga. its fairly obvious the cooling on the8800gt was sub-optimal. at any rate i'd get one of the other ones that performs much better :)

Although its nice to see this review, it may seem a bit late considering that they've been discontinued and even if someone were interested in getting one of these they wouldn't be able to buy it, not from EVGA that is.

do you guys think this could be interesting if they release one for the GTX 200 series?

I plan to step up to GTX 260 in a bit so if it comes out.....

do you guys think this could be interesting if they release one for the GTX 200 series?

I plan to step up to GTX 260 in a bit so if it comes out.....

Well, i believe the main reason for an AKIMBO cooler was to satisfy the market of people who didnt really need a single slotted card but still enjoyed the overclockability of the 8800GT with better cooling. As a result of this the AKIMBO was a DUAL slotted cooler addon for the single slotted GT. I believe the GTX 260 is already dual slotted so i dont necessarily see why an AKIMBO cooler would be useful or better. Also AKIMBO was the name to specify dual slots just like dual swords. :)

&#1053;&#1080;&#1094;&#1094;&#1072; &#1088;&#1072;&#1073;&#1086;&#1090;&#1091;, &#1090;&#1086;&#1074;&#1072;&#1088;&#1080;&#1097;!

&#1053;&#1080;&#1094;&#1094;&#1072; &#1088;&#1072;&#1073;&#1086;&#1090;&#1091;, &#1090;&#1086;&#1074;&#1072;&#1088;&#1080;&#1097;!

English only. Might want to fix that.

(17) Posting is to be in ENGLISH only. Non-English posts will be locked or removed.

On that note, it says Nice work, mate! In russian ;)

Yeah, i think that EVGA decided to bring them back on the basis that there were still alot of people who had single slot coolers that really wanted to go dual slot.

Back