eVGA ACS³ Thermal Solution Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, i suppose i should mention that i have a standard eVGA 6800 GT with the stock heatsink and Nvidia reference design.

Everyone keeps mentioning XFX running at 490. Go read the XFX forums, there were a lot of people having issues with artifacts. Not saying everyone will have the issue, just pointing out that the stock cooler might not be up to 490.

CodeWaste said:
For 120 extra dollars, it had better come with a blowjob attachment.

You just sold me!

I don't see shelling out $120 for a mediocre cooling solution. Even for a high end cooling solution.... Watercooling, maybe. Probably cost less, too.

I just see it as a way to make more money off uninformed consumers... That's a good reason I like to visit multiple sites. Some give it raving reviews others, like HardOCP, tell it like it is. And always have. One reason I keep coming back, the honesty. Like the techie watchdog.

i would personaly take that $120 and put it towards a new water block for the card. then it would be superior cooling!:)

purefun65 said:
i would personaly take that $120 and put it towards a new water block for the card. then it would be superior cooling!:)

My thoughts exactly, and we will see how they compare too. :)

purefun65 said:
DING DING DING, we have a winner right here folks! Great idea, would be a much more efficient use of $120! :cool:

OMG its not an extra $120 its an extra $50 for both the stupid cooler and for a lifetime warranty...the xfx card with the same clock frequencies is $550 and the evga's is $600

stonedwaldo420 said:
Personally, I have no problem with eVGA deceiving less knowledgeable consumers!!
Why???
Well, hopefully it will help them generate more income. If they then use that extra income to lower the price of their standard cards (already some of the best prices in the industry), then great.
That means that the lower cost of my eVGA card is partially funded by the extra $$ that rich, less knowledgeable gamers spent. To me, that is sort of like being given a discount for reading sites like [H].

I know you are just being funny bro, but the truth is we have a commitment to ALL of our readers...not just the readers who are better informed. Besides, this is how less knowledgeable readers get more informededed. ;)

Is it just me or does the card look pretty cool? I tend to agree most of the time with what the [H] staff has to say but in this case I think we are looking at this situation all wrong. I had some email conversations with companies like Koolance and BFG when I was having some issues with their products. The convos in both cases boiled down to the fact that the 'enthusiast' had a budget that was a non-factor. We all know that is not the case as every penny per mhz,gb,mb,3dmark, fps counts. Admit it though, there are people trolling around these formus and others who have $6k+ systems, whose sigs seem to change on a monthly basis as new HW is released....basically..those who do have a huge budget. I think it is these people who EVGA is targeting because to them $120 is what they spend to take their ugly girlfriends out to dinner twice a week....sorry that was unfair. I just think that the people who always have the latest, greatest and most expensive parts do not care about the cooling capabilities of the card...they already have 2 in the shopping cart with overnight super express delivery! I say....let these donkeys buy this stuff. As for you and me...we will stick to what's within reason and more importantly....budget!

I have to agree with you somewhat. I remember when "enthusiast" meant the best bang for the buck and not the top of the line model. How things change.

cell_491 said:
OMG its not an extra $120 its an extra $50 for both the stupid cooler and for a lifetime warranty...the xfx card with the same clock frequencies is $550 and the evga's is $600

OH YEAH. I found an example that was different from yours, so there. :p

moetop said:
Other than the Phantom (which I eargly await this fall. ROFL) I dont think I have ever seen this much opinion from you, before the actual product has been tested. To me, and obviously others it seems odd.

You have not been around here too long have you?

If I was running my own hardware review site I would cover this new cooler in this way:

1. Frontpage announcement of new cooler with images and patent information

2. Request for review product. If denied, make the denial public and purchase anyway. If company later offers to pay for product graciously accept offer to improve relations.

3. Review comparing temperatures achieved with stock cooler to temperatures achieved with ACS cooler. Judgement as to whether the cooler is worth the money. Suggest alternatives. Move on.

I would never claim anything about a product unless I had it in my hands and had thouroughly tested it first. A company denying a hardware review site review hardware indicates one of two things to me; either company is afraid of the review site's coverage exposing it's marketing ploy, or the company does not believe the review site reviews products impartially.

I have come to respect the impartiality of HardOCP in the past but I am dissapointed this time. Calling a product a bullshit scam before reviewing it is not the way to establish yourself as a credible hardware reviewer.

Regardless of how a company may have behaved in the past, when it comes to a new review they need to be given a new chance. Otherwise HardOCP will loose ALL credibility in the business.

siegecraft4 said:
If I was running my own hardware review site I would cover this new cooler in this way:

2. Request for review product. If denied, make the denial public and purchase anyway. If company later offers to pay for product graciously accept offer to improve relations.

3. Review comparing temperatures achieved with stock cooler to temperatures achieved with ACS cooler. Judgement as to whether the cooler is worth the money. Suggest alternatives. Move on.

I would never claim anything about a product unless I had it in my hands and had thouroughly tested it first. A company denying a hardware review site review hardware indicates one of two things to me; either company is afraid of the review site's coverage exposing it's marketing ploy, or the company does not believe the review site reviews products impartially.

I have come to respect the impartiality of HardOCP in the past but I am dissapointed this time. Calling a product a bullshit scam before reviewing it is not the way to establish yourself as a credible hardware reviewer.

1. That was done.

2. That was done.

3. That will be done.

I made no claims about the ACS3 product. I did however share my opinion based on past ACS/eVGA experiences and my expectations of this product. It is called editorial and I will stand by it 100%. If editorial content is not to your liking, I would not suggest that our news page is for a reader such as yourself. It is steeped in opinion on a daily if not hourly basis.

Also, just to be clear, because you sound a bit confused, we did review the product we called a "bullshit scam," back in 2002.

saintrobyn said:
At this point I would demand a tracking number for your order as soon as it ships, especially consider that they now know what you are going to do with the card. Something tells me you are going to conveinently recieve a refund of your money and the card will mysteriously get "lost" in transit to the undergorund bunker. If they are refusing to acknowledge your requests they may also be willing to stoop to such levels as not shipping or worse if they offer a version with stock cooling they may "accidentally" ship you that one by mistake and then claim a stock shortage when you request an exchange.

Then again, I have been accused of being paranoid in the past. :D

Na, I bet everything goes perfect. eVGA has nothing to gain by doing otherwise.

Of course, then again, they have surprised me in the past. :)

Torgo said:
/donning fireproof suit

Interesting how this happens every six months like clockwork.

Kyle: I found something interesting that makes me mad. It should make you mad too.
Reader #1: You're right! We love you Kyle! I <3 HardOCP!
Reader #2: You've gone too far Kyle! Your callous attitude is changing the site!
Kyle: Don't like it, don't come back. I'll have proof later.
Reader #1: Yeah! Right on! Shut up Reader #2!
Reader #2: You STFU Reader #1! Flame on!
Reader #1: Flame back!
Kyle: Okay, here's the proof. Have a nice day.
Reader #1: w00t! Kyle is my hero!
Reader #2: Well, you were right except for (nitpick). I'm never coming back though. (Logs in later that day to check reponses.)

Repeat after 6 months

lol - just because I happen to agree with him a lot does not mean I am reader #1... does it? rolf.

oh crap... and I promised for no more OT blabbing. doh!

Ok, I didn't realize you were referring to the ACS ^ 2 when you stated "bullshit scam." (Those exponents are pretty small at this resolution/dpi :) )

Still, I'm not sure if editorializing this harshly about something you are about to review is the best way to go.

If it was me, I would say something like "We will see if the product performs as advertised because at this point it seems dubious that a metal plate could dramatically improve cooling."

Maybe the larger surface area of the cooler really does help. Maybe directing an additional fan at the cooler drops temps even more. These are the things your readers are probally interested in.

Just because I disagree with you on this doesn't mean that I should leave/not read the news page or whatever. I think differences of opinion make any site a more interesting place. Besides, I like it here. :)

siegecraft4 said:
Still, I'm not sure if editorializing this harshly about something you are about to review is the best way to go.

If it was me, I would say something like "We will see if the product performs as advertised because at this point it seems dubious that a metal plate could dramatically improve cooling."

I appreciate your opinion. And just to point, out, all I did was offer mine based on the current public information on their product. Maybe had they actually given some DATA to back up their marketing we would be a bit suspicious??? That and we asked some rhetorical questions that were designed to make our readers think for themselves.

Well, I just hope the cooler turns out to offer some benefit for that price. If not and if it sells it will cause, just as EVGA said, copycats to produce similar coolers that are more marketing than cooling. We'll see.

Looking foward to the review.

- siegecraft4

So to echo my point above:

1) Market segment #1, those who want the best deal (cool peeps)
2) Market segment #2, those who want the best product and cooling (watercooling peeps)
3) Market segment #3, those who fall for transparent marketing ploys (donkeys)

Segment #3 tend to spend all day shaving with batterypowered 6 blade razors, popping enzyte pills and drinking Michelob Ultra.

Kurtis said:
Interesting. It looks to me as though nvidia jacked the design of that cooler from ATI's X850 XT cooler design. I could be wrong, but it looks like it is pulling air in from the front edge of the card and exhausting it out the back. I think this is a much better solution that the typical type that sucks air from under the card.

Actually, from what it looks like, based upon the fan blade design, it looks like it draws air in and blasts it to both sides, as in, out of the case AND back into the case. Looks strikingly similar to ASUS' dual 6800 card design, although somewhat shrunken. I'd still like to see it in action ;P

justin82 said:
Hey hey hey, michelob ultra isnt bad in a pinch :p
have you tried michelob lager...thats some good stuff...by the way i guess i fit into his "segment #2"

Which is more crazier (or better, or more fucking stupid.) cooler design, the Sapphire Radeon X850XT-PE Blizzard Edition or this EVGA bullshit?

Mysogonist said:
Segment #3 tend to spend all day shaving with batterypowered 6 blade razors, popping enzyte pills and drinking Michelob Ultra.

HAHAHHA
LOL
LMFAO
OMFG... LOL

Mysogonist said:
3) Market segment #3, those who fall for transparent marketing ploys (donkeys)

Hey, I own that battery powered razor. :eek:

siegecraft4 said:

Regardless of how a company may have behaved in the past, when it comes to a new review they need to be given a new chance. Otherwise HardOCP will loose ALL credibility in the business.
If you owned a review site... ha. easier said than done my friend. and Kyle did purchase one of these cards I believe, at least he said he paid for one, I hope that would mean that he actually has one lol.

I'm co-owner of TheTechLounge.com, and I have to say I agree with Kyle's position. Does he go a little overboard sometimes? Sure. But I think that's why a lot of people like HardOCP, because he's so opinionated. Nothin' wrong with having an opinion so long as you know what you're talking about, and in this case he does, he's pointed out the facts for you.

Cya at QuakeCon next week Kyle :-P

Kurtis said:
If you owned a review site... ha. easier said than done my friend.
Like I said, if. I certaintly don't have the knowledge at this point, but it doesn't take any technical knowledge to know how to do something impartially.

No need to use the "I'm a site owner which gives my opinion more validity" argument.

As the author and holder of multiple patents....dating PRE-R.REAGAN screwing up the patent office, there is simply nothing patenatble in the application.

It's a testiment to how screwed up the patent office has become. This falls under the general caveat to patentability.... "Obvious under the art". End of story.

We now have some 3 MILLION patents on the books that are total BS nonsense, spewed out by the corporations to cover every conceivable twist of a thought.

If the pre-Reagan PTO managers/examiners were handed this you'd be laughed out of the building.

After the huge budget cuts, and implimentation of maintainence fee's, this abortion began.

Now the agency is hooked on getting its revenues from "maintainence fee's" making it better to approve EVERYTHING and let the courts sort it out later, rather than do the job the founding fathers set out for them. Im sure the "courts" are thrilled :D

My patents are rock solid, bulletproof, legit inventions, and stood the muster of the pre-Reagan PTO.

cell_491 said:
have you tried michelob lager...thats some good stuff...by the way i guess i fit into his "segment #2"
I can't touch beer, taste like piss to me. I drink the hard stuff, my preference is vodka. :D

siegecraft4 said:
Like I said, if. I certaintly don't have the knowledge at this point, but it doesn't take any technical knowledge to know how to do something impartially.

I know a couple of folks with journalism degrees that would argue with you on that. Thankfully, I don't have one so I won't. :)

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx said:
As the author and holder of multiple patents....dating PRE-R.REAGAN screwing up the patent office, there is simply nothing patenatble in the application.

It's a testiment to how screwed up the patent office has become. This falls under the general caveat to patentability.... "Obvious under the art". End of story.

We now have some 3 MILLION patents on the books that are total BS nonsense, spewed out by the corporations to cover every conceivable twist of a thought.

If the pre-Reagan PTO managers/examiners were handed this you'd be laughed out of the building.

After the huge budget cuts, and implimentation of maintainence fee's, this abortion began.

Now the agency is hooked on getting its revenues from "maintainence fee's" making it better to approve EVERYTHING and let the courts sort it out later, rather than do the job the founding fathers set out for them. Im sure the "courts" are thrilled :D

My patents are rock solid, bulletproof, legit inventions, and stood the muster of the pre-Reagan PTO.

When I started going through the patent, it became painfully obvious that I would not need to make any calls to my IP attorney for help. That patent is thin at best and could be ripped to shreds in a court of law. That is probably the reason you have not seen any lawsuits defending the application as it certainly has been seen in other card builders designs. Maybe under license? Somehow...but I doubt it.

I seriously want to see one of those liquid metal coolers on a 7800GTX... :D

Hmm.... anyone else notice that the eVGA front page says 490+MHz Core / 1300+MHz Memory, and this just after the lifetime warranty is shown at that. So, what exactly does that "+" mean? Herein lies the problem for me, they put the "+" in there after the default clock speeds, and the lifetime warranty states that they will replace it if it is defective in manufacture... so okay, I run it at 490, it runs fine... warranty still good, but what if I now give it some + to that MHz and the card fails, where would one then draw the line? Is 10MHz +, or is it 30MHz? 50MHz? Say the card then shorts/burns, wouldn't I then have a valid claim that they did not supply me with a card that was able to reach 490+MHz? I mean, that plus can mean anything can't it? I'm a rational thinking person, I know we're not talking miracles here... but this is just the kind of marketing BS that bothers me. Hey, if they will back up their cards like that with their lifetime warranty, hell, maybe it is worth it.

"Based on our ACS³ technology, our e-GeForce 7800 GTX KO Edition is the only card in the marketplace that can operate at 490+/1300+ with real stability and confidence." :rolleyes:
http://evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=255

Gainward... now they knew how to make aftermarket cooling solutions that worked... okay... so the prices were kind'a not worth it, but at least they did some real work on their solutions. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back