EVGA 8800GTX RMA Horror Story

pugsley1218

Limp Gawd
About 40 days ago, I purchased two 8800GTXs (supeclocked edition) for my new SLI system. I would have bought it through newegg, but my new debit card hadn't came in the mail yet, so I had to buy through an ebay-stores reseller instead. They were both brand new, packaged and unregistered cards.

I was using these cards and they were fine for awhile, but eventually one died. I tried to RMA it, and was denied. I called EVGA and was told since it was bought through ebay, it was not warranted. I called back multiple times, and argued with them about my loss of $600, but they basically said, "you're fucked, sucks to be you". They told me to try to return it to the original retailer. Well, the retailer I bought it from only has a 7-day return policy. So now I am screwed, and out $600. This is ridiculous. There is no difference between a damn ebay store and a retailer. I should still be able to RMA the item.

What can I do now? Anything? Am I out $600 and I just have to suck it up?

If this doesn't get sorted out, I will NEVER, EVER buy an EVGA product again. They obviously don't care about their customers.

Most retailers won't warranty something bought through ebay. EVGA has always had that policy, so I'd say you're pretty much screwed. :(

If this doesn't get sorted out, I will NEVER, EVER buy an EVGA product again. They obviously don't care about their customers.
You shouldn't blame EVGA. It's your own fault for buying from an "eBay reseller"... which is probably some guy in his garage that clearly isn't an authorized EVGA seller.

A) You didn't HAVE to buy from Ebay, you decided to since you apparently got them for like ~$300 each. If you paid $600 for one, you got ripped off.

B) Did you REGISTER the card with them with in the first 30 days of purchase, like you were told to when opening the box?

C) Its not EVGA's fault you bought off Ebay from some 3rd party guy.

For our retail Graphics Card and Mainboard products purchased on or after June 22, 2005, EVGA will provide a limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of each retail product that the product will not suffer, in material or workmanship, from any defect that adversely affects the performance of the product. This limited lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product, based upon the following conditions:

* All EVGA Products purchased ON or AFTER November 1, 2006 MUST be registered within 30 days from ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE to receive limited lifetime warranty. (All products not registered within 30 days will ONLY receive a 1 year limited warranty.)
* Removal and or Defacing of Serial/Part number sticker(s) on ANY EVGA products WILL void ALL warranties.
* ALL Defective products sent in for RMA replacement MUST INCLUDE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL INVOICE / RECEIPT. (Products NOT including invoice/receipt will be returned to the customer at customer’s expense.)

http://www.evga.com/support/lifetime/

Agreed;

1) You bought the card from eBay - you had a chioce.
2) Why did you tell them where you got it from?

Correct, eVGA does indeed ask you to upload a scan of your invoice. At least, they did when I RMAed my eVGA motherboards.

Sounds like it's your fault because you did not research eVGA's warranty policy and you bought off of ebay. I would not blame eVGA, blame yourself.

Correct, eVGA does indeed ask you to upload a scan of your invoice. At least, they did when I RMAed my eVGA motherboards.

They'll take the invoice a number of ways (pretty much anything reasonable), but have added a tool to the registration webpage that lets you upload the invoice at any time after you buy it so there's no hunting for it if you eventually have an RMA.

I would have bought it through newegg, but my new debit card hadn't came in the mail yet, so I had to buy through an ebay-stores reseller instead.

I'd be surprised to see ANY company accepting "some dude on eBay" as a valid retailer, the closest you'll get to that is if the warranty is designated as transferable or if a normal retailer uses eBay to offload overstocks/refurbs.

You may want to try contacting Johnathan Garay, who is one of EVGA's RMA assistants ([email protected]). You may be able to get non-warranty RMA service for a reasonable fee, or make similar arrangements. EVGA tends to be extremely accommodating, but you may need to speak to someone that's specifically associated with the RMA department rather than a support tech given your unusual circumstances.

Sorry that your having your issues with trying to get your card fixed but you really can't lay this at EVGA's feet since you bought it through ebay without a original invoice. Also who in there right mind would think that 2 8800 GTX's for 600 bucks is a "legit" deal? come on. All of these video card companys state there policies clearly and on there web sites.

Also posting a double topic in the same forum = dumb .

Back