eVga 7900 GTO for $250

Blue Falcon said:
You won't be able to miss it... spikes shooting out of objects (geometry errors), and as it gets worse either a lockup or a crash to a corrupted flashing desktop.

I'm sure you're fine though. :) In fact these GTO threads are making me consider grabbing one for a second rig I'm building...

Oh, yup, no problems in that area...thanks for the heads up though.

These might not be refurbished (rumor was that these are GTX cards that have been sent back and refurbished)....
These are cards that were either built as GTX cards but never sold due to Memory issues not running at 1600, or these are made from leftover samsung chips. The core is the same as the GTX, it's the memory thats the issue. Lot of 7900 series was just plain bad, because the memory was being pushed too far.

All they did was take these cards, lowered the Volts on memory thus lowering the speed, tightened the timings and sold it as GTO... still a great card, just don't expect massive OC from ram..

I couldn't even do 750 on mine lol .... oh well.

EDIT.... Come home from work, turn on my computer and pshhhhh computer doesnt turn on... hmmmm
take out the card, computer turns on... hmmmmm
Put the card back in and nada....
Put my old 7800gt in and everything is dandy...

My GTO went FUBAR, when i was playing a game yesterday, i used my handy dandy laser temp gun and the back of the card at one spot was 57degrees!!!!!!!!! is the back suppose to be that freakin hot? I believe thats where the memory voltage regulator chips are... is the memory problem THAT bad?

I bought one from newegg for $246 a couple of days ago. Will probably receive shipment on Monday or Tuesday.
What's the deal with the cards, by the way? Only overclock the core and don't with the memory?

n19htmare said:
EDIT.... Come home from work, turn on my computer and pshhhhh computer doesnt turn on... hmmmm

My GTO went FUBAR, when i was playing a game yesterday, i used my handy dandy laser temp gun and the back of the card at one spot was 57degrees!!!!!!!!! is the back suppose to be that freakin hot? I believe thats where the memory voltage regulator chips are... is the memory problem THAT bad?

Did you get the one where it was a GTX box with GTO stickers on it?

I ran 06 and worked on deep freeze. I have demo and it worked fine @ 700/800. Beast.

n19htmare said:
These might not be refurbished (rumor was that these are GTX cards that have been sent back and refurbished)....
These are cards that were either built as GTX cards but never sold due to Memory issues not running at 1600, or these are made from leftover samsung chips. The core is the same as the GTX, it's the memory thats the issue. Lot of 7900 series was just plain bad, because the memory was being pushed too far.

All they did was take these cards, lowered the Volts on memory thus lowering the speed, tightened the timings and sold it as GTO... still a great card, just don't expect massive OC from ram..

I couldn't even do 750 on mine lol .... oh well.

Isn't there a 3 year warranty from EVGA? in that case even if it dies in 2.5 years you're going to get a fairly modern card in return?
Awkward, no doubt but they can't sell you a shit card, consumer rights and all.

Hope it's 3 year anyhow, seriously tempted myself - I can sell my 7800GT here in Aus for about 200$ US and pay approx 60$ US to get a 7900 GTO with 2x the ram and at least a 35% speed bump to boot, including shipping.

Hurmm.

nicepun said:
Did you get the one where it was a GTX box with GTO stickers on it?

Yes it was.

abrasion: There is a lifetime warranty from eVGA. But the first Year, I will deal with newegg. Since they give their own warranty and it is much better than eVGA. Newegg offers a no cost replacement while evga wants you to pay for shipping it both ways.

Ive called multiple times today to eVGA, cannot reach sales, sales support, or customer service at all... I finally got through to tech support and spoke to a tech who claimed also that the card is NOT available for the Step-up program. This TOTALLY SUCKS!

Edit 2: Still cannot reach customer support via telephone. Ive sent them a message regarding this product's Step Up status. I tried a 2nd tech who said that this card WILL work as long as the newer card is out within 90 days of purchase etc...

Im really confused at this point....

Skids1 said:
I just got off the phone with eVGA and checked into their community forums, both stating that this card will be UNAVAILABLE for the step up program... Glad I didnt dive after this card afterall since I was looking at upgrading to the G80 when i came out in 1-2 months.

Can you please clarify what the CSR actually said? Can you step up TO this card FROM another card? Can you step up TO a G80 FROM a 7900GTO?

from my understanding, you can not step up from another card to the 7900 GTO, but you can step up from the 7900 GTO to another card.

digitalxdna said:
from my understanding, you can not step up from another card to the 7900 GTO, but you can step up from the 7900 GTO to another card.

That's what I was thinking also - it'd be really nice to get confirmation though.

n19htmare said:

How did you kill it? Did you use software like coolbits to overclock or mess with the voltage?

Skids1 said:
Ive called multiple times today to eVGA, cannot reach sales, sales support, or customer service at all... I finally got through to tech support and spoke to a tech who claimed also that the card is NOT available for the Step-up program. This TOTALLY SUCKS!

Edit 2: Still cannot reach customer support via telephone. Ive sent them a message regarding this product's Step Up status. I tried a 2nd tech who said that this card WILL work as long as the newer card is out within 90 days of purchase etc...

Im really confused at this point....
Although it shouldn't be an excuse for EVGA, maybe since it's Columbus Day, they were lightly staffed today. :confused:

Back