EVGA 680i SLI and the Yorkfield Quad = bad news

baleedit

Gawd
It seems the EVGA 680i SLI MB will not be supporting the Yorkfield quad as previously advertised. I am extremely disappointed with this, as are many others. I guess this is more of a warning than a question, but I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about it.

I know I'll lose many customers because of this, due to the fact that I recommended this motherboard because it would support the next line of processors. Hopefully EVGA will do something for those of us who purchased this MB.

Regardless of who's fault it may or may not have been, I bought this based on EVGA's credibility and reputation. Hopefully I'm getting all excited over nothing.

In case I didn't explain something properly, here it is from the horse's mouth:

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=167016&mpage=1&key=&#167016

It seems the EVGA 680i SLI MB will not be supporting the Yorkfield quad as previously advertised. I am extremely disappointed with this, as are many others. I guess this is more of a warning than a question, but I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about it.

I know I'll lose many customers because of this, due to the fact that I recommended this motherboard because it would support the next line of processors. Hopefully EVGA will do something for those of us who purchased this MB.

Regardless of who's fault it may or may not have been, I bought this based on EVGA's credibility and reputation. Hopefully I'm getting all excited over nothing.

In case I didn't explain something properly, here it is from the horse's mouth:

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=167016&mpage=1&key=��

I posted on this a week a go in the mobo forum and not many responded,as it also says the 780i will not properly (or does not now) support 45nm as well.There are a few long threads on XS about this in thier news section.

The link seems to say the exact opposite though.Reread it,or am I wrong about that as well ??

quote:

ORIGINAL: sbrassard (mobo owner,eVGA customer)

I
have a few questions that I'm sure many of us would like answers to and most likely there probably are no answers today.

1. When can we expect the 700 series boards to be released? So far from what I heard its going to be Dec 07/Jan 08. Is this still accurate?

2. I still have plenty of days left under my step-up for my 680i (so the member area says). Does anyone think we will have an option to step-up to the 700 series? (EVGA would satisfy me on this if possible).

3. Many people have already stated that the 700 series is based on the 680i. Would this mean that there would be less problems on the 700 series when its released, or could we expect additional problems from this board due the the 45nm Quads?

4. Should I ditch the effort of going to the 45nm QX9650 for the QX6850 on the 680i?

5. Would I be able to use the 4 GB DDR-800 in the new 700 series? ;-) (This may be the final straw that will make me move toward the QX6850, seeing I just bought most of this stuff)

Im kinda at the point where I need someone to quickly pass the tequila...

eVGA tech Jaco_F : :confused:

I will comment on everything that I can.

3. The next generation boards from EVGA will have full support for Yorkfield, as you can see, one was already clocked to nearly 5.3GHz on a QX9650:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166247

5. You will be able to use your existing memory.

Oh boy..... :D Double talk anyone,and not answering the question with a straight answer ? :eek:

Here's what I posted over at the EVGA forums:

Well, I cannot help but to feel royally FU(#%D! I paid $229.99 for this MB about 4 months ago and I bought it because these new quads would be supported. I mentioned the price because all my other overclocker colleagues urged me to buy the $99 Gigabyte, the DSR3 or whatever it was called. But I figured that only the high end enthusiast boards would be sure to make good on their claims.

I've always read that EVGA takes care of their customers, with that and a lifetime warranty I thought I made a good decision. I don't care if it's EVGA's fault directly or someone elses, but I feel EVGA should rectify this.

This is all just my opinion of course but I will really have no choice but to not recommend EVGA in the future to my customers. If a product claims that it will perform a function, and it does not, then there should be a refund or an exchange..... That is my definition of good customer service and I practice it daily. Let's see what happens with my first bad experience with EVGA.....

--end post--

Sorry Manny I didn't see your original post. I did a search but nothing came up. This thing is really huge and I believe it warrants a trade-in or a fix at the minimum. It's the same as selling a video card and saying it supports PCI-Express and then you get an AGP interface. The product should do what it claims, that's why people make purchases.

I honestly believe EVGA will fix this, I've never seen them have bad customer service yet, so I'll wait on an official answer before recommending against EVGA.

Are other vendors supporting Yorksfield on their 680i boards? ASUS? BFG?

edit: I don't see any bios updates on either ASUS's or BFG's support sites dated since Yorkfield's release. So I'm going to assume no. It may simply not be possible. If nVidia's chipset or reference PCB layout simply can't do it, there's nothing eVGA can do.

I believe it's all 680i MB's. I just am mentioning EVGA cause that's the one I purchased. It's not particularly EVGA's fault yet, but I believe that whoever's fault it is should rectify it with EVGA and then EVGA pass that on to the their customers. That's the right thing to do IMO!

if they dont let me step up to a mobo that supports 45nm quads then I am going to be very pissed off.

edit: I don't see any bios updates on either ASUS's or BFG's support sites dated since Yorkfield's release. So I'm going to assume no. It may simply not be possible. If nVidia's chipset or reference PCB layout simply can't do it, there's nothing eVGA can do.

Let me explain my way of thinking on this subject. I bought a car from EVGA, and they said it has air conditioning, but it was during the winter so I didn't test it. When summer rolls around and I try it, it simply doesn't work. EVGA says, "Sorry, our manufacturer made it that way, and we apologize for the false advertising, there's nothing we can do".

I say that's total bull$hit! They should let me trade that car in on a car that has a functioning air conditioner. THAT and only THAT, would be good customer service.

Sorry to be Johnny Raincloud, but my thinking is, well... if you jumped the gun and bought the CPU before seeing whats going on it your fault, lesson learned. These companies just like all others are here to make money, 700series is their answer not ours though, o well. If u dont like it or not planning on buying the new mobo, dont whine and just buy an Intel board. This topic is fairly new and already beaten to death. Sorry, not flamming anyone or bashing but comon, they make the rules and we play by them.

Sorry to be Johnny Raincloud, but my thinking is, well... if you jumped the gun and bought the CPU before seeing whats going on it your fault, lesson learned. These companies just like all others are here to make money, 700series is their answer not ours though, o well. If u dont like it or not planning on buying the new mobo, dont whine and just buy an Intel board. This topic is fairly new and already beaten to death. Sorry, not flamming anyone or bashing but comon, they make the rules and we play by them.

No idea what you are talking about, I haven't bought a new processor yet. I was just hoping that I could because when I bought the motherboard it was advertised as supporting it. I assume you are talking to me, if not, sorry.

My problem with the situation, is that Evga stated clearly that a bios upgrade is all that it would take.

I find no fault in those who purchased the boards, since Evga clearly stated a bios upgrade would rectify the situation, and that's not the case.

By no means is this the *end users* fault.

Edit:

baleedit, I see that you posted right under me in the Evga forums where those idiots are telling that poor guy he should still get a 680i even though they don't support future quad upgrades. I think you and I are one of the only folks in that thread who have any common sense.

I almost bought a 680i board this week so I could get a quad 45nm part...the places I looked stated support for 'next generation 45nm Intel cpus' and the like.

Looks like I'll be holding on to my AM2 board for a while longer until this mess gets cleaned up

I hardly think its not possible,more like they'd rather sell people 780i based mobo's for more cash.

Nvidia partners have had a lot of support headaches with this chipset/mobo line,and likely want to move on now.Thing is eVGA and possibly others have changed advertising or so I have heard over the last days and weeks,on the net,regarding the chipset and its
allegded future support for 45nm chips.

Nice eh,the crafty double talk from the techs ? Jacob answered none of the real questions,but to in the end,basically said "buy a new mobo".This may piss more then a few off.And to think I was going to buy a 680SLI mobo based off that exact advertised 'support' two months ago.

Damn good thing I did not.First I heard of this was HiPro on XS,he started a huge thread about this and possible 780i + Penryn problems,and a few at first called him a liar or said he had his info mixed up.Looks like he was right.

can someone link me to where an evga rep said that 680i would support the new 45nm parts?

Oh man, I'm glad I RMA'd my board this past week and bought an Abit :) one thing I actually did right with the right time and place.

can someone link me to where an evga rep said that 680i would support the new 45nm parts?

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=167016&mpage=3&key=

Post 79# onward is a small PR nightmare going forward.

No way in hell I am buying ANY eVGA mobo in the future,Why ? They claimed for months it would be a simple bios upgrade at most.Now this.

It puts there word in to heavy doubt.They should IMHO,step everyone who has a 680i up to 790's and up,as they now say only the 790I SLI will for sure,officially support the 45nm quads. :eek:
Everything down will only support the 45nm duallys (possibly)

I honestly don't think nvidia is that greedy, that they cut support to sell new motherboards. IT could be that intel got the 45nm chips out the door before nvidia had any time to make a bios that would support this chip in time (its only been 3 weeks since the QX9650 has been available for retail), maybe intel is trying to stick it to nvidia for their own gain, how do you think motherboard chipset sales will be for intel if they can make their main competition look bad?

I think people are jumping the gun on this whole issue, I still think this issue can be solved.

No idea what you are talking about, I haven't bought a new processor yet. I was just hoping that I could because when I bought the motherboard it was advertised as supporting it. I assume you are talking to me, if not, sorry.

No I wasnt, sorry if it acted towards you. I just knew some people personally and some I dont that went out alrdy that dropped 1300 on the new cpu and now using it as a paperweight. I still think this error is on user end, teach them not to jump ship until the new technology is out and about (working).

When I got my Asus 680i, it was for a E6600 that I upgraded to a E6850. Once rumors that it would also support the Quad 45's started, I was like cool! I can grab one and wait to see what motherboards look like in 2008.

I wouldn't be happy if I'd bought it for the new quads only to find out it only supported the new duals. General wording on the MB manufacturer's sites stating supports new 45's had most thinking both York and Wolf.

When I got my Asus 680i, it was for a E6600 that I upgraded to a E6850. Once rumors that it would also support the Quad 45's started, I was like cool! I can grab one and wait to see what motherboards look like in 2008.

I wouldn't be happy if I'd bought it for the new quads only to find out it only supported the new duals. General wording on the MB manufacturer's sites stating supports new 45's had most thinking both York and Wolf.

Looks like anyone who bought a 680i board for the 45nm quads are out of luck. Here is a pretty good table from Asus that lists dual and quad support for 45nm cpus:

http://event.asus.com/mb/45nm/

As mentioned in a few forum posts, the P35 and even the P965 based boards will have better luck supporting the 45nm quads.

Perhaps the 680i customers could 'upgrade' to a P965 :rolleyes:

well looks like i wont be getting a new quad in january.

I guess i'll just stick it out with my Q. until nehalem drops next year. Not that i'm happy i can't just drop a new one in, but this is probably good new. i wont be as tempted to get a new proc as i'd have to get a new mobo too.
Guess i'll just get an 8800GT and sit back until next summer

Looks like I'll be waiting until January as well. Sigh... Part of me is disappointed, but I have the ability to hold out.

I do feel for the individuals who bought a 680i with that expectation.

And the drama continues...

I honestly don't think nvidia is that greedy, that they cut support to sell new motherboards. IT could be that intel got the 45nm chips out the door before nvidia had any time to make a bios that would support this chip in time (its only been 3 weeks since the QX9650 has been available for retail), maybe intel is trying to stick it to nvidia for their own gain, how do you think motherboard chipset sales will be for intel if they can make their main competition look bad?

I think people are jumping the gun on this whole issue, I still think this issue can be solved.

Finally, I’m glad to see the nVIDIA name instead of the eVGA name in this post.

eVGA didn’t make and does not make motherboards they simply resell nVIDI’s products as do others and as a company they have disginguished themselves from the competition with unbelievable service.

When the board was first released there were a number of problems and of all the resellers of the product only EVGA took the high road and replaced boards even when many of the problems were customer error.

The 680i board has been on the market for over a year now and I’m curious how long a manufacture should be held responsible for compatibility regarding a product over which they have no control?

The 680i tested fine btw with the engineering samples of the CPUs in question, now suddenly they don’t.

This would not be the first time the big powers screwed with the little guys and it won’t be the last. What really has me surprised is Intel didn’t change the socket as well as make DDR-3 a requirement as well.

Finally, I’m glad to see the nVIDIA name instead of the eVGA name in this post.

eVGA didn’t make and does not make motherboards they simply resell nVIDI’s products as do others and as a company they have disginguished themselves from the competition with unbelievable service.

When the board was first released there were a number of problems and of all the resellers of the product only EVGA took the high road and replaced boards even when many of the problems were customer error.

The 680i board has been on the market for over a year now and I’m curious how long a manufacture should be held responsible for compatibility regarding a product over which they have no control?

The 680i tested fine btw with the engineering samples of the CPUs in question, now suddenly they don’t.

This would not be the first time the big powers screwed with the little guys and it won’t be the last. What really has me surprised is Intel didn’t change the socket as well as make DDR-3 a requirement as well.

I think it's been made abundantly clear that it's not EVGA's fault. Whoever's fault it may be is of no concern to me, and IMO to any other customer. What is truly at stake here is the unbelievable service that you mentioned. That is why I paid over twice as much for this board, as I already stated.

The bottom line is that I bought it from EVGA, it may not be their fault, but it is without a doubt their responsibility. If nVIDIA or Intel is the culprit, then EVGA should file actions against one or the other. The responsibility does not belong to the customer, nor is it the responsibility of the customer to cover the cost.

One way or the other, EVGA will be giving me a Yorkfield Quad compatible motherboard. Whether it's in a few months, if they do the right thing, or if it's in a few years when I RMA a bad motherboard and they don't have anymore faulty 680i's and end up sending me a 790 series.

As I like to say sometimes, "You better baleedit!"

Heh, I remember when I ordered my P965-board, 680i was released... and I was a bit annoyed... if it had been released before I ordered, I would have gone 680i.
Now it seems like a blessing in disguise :)

That's unfortunate. I nearly purchased a 680i board this last week to use with the Yorkfield 9550 chip I have. I am using the new CPU on a 965 board (Asus P5B-E) successfully. The difference in performance between the 9550 and the E6600 I just replaced is not hugely significant. I haven't spent much time benchmarking, but the overall feel of Vista is improved. If I were considering jumping to a Penryn chip, I would carefully evaluate my needs to determine if the performance gain justifies the cost with Nehalem due later next year.

E

One way or the other, EVGA will be giving me a Yorkfield Quad compatible motherboard. Whether it's in a few months, if they do the right thing, or if it's in a few years when I RMA a bad motherboard and they don't have anymore faulty 680i's and end up sending me a 790 series.

That's the same way I intend to go about it ;)

I agree with baleedit, this practice is unacceptable. Nvidia and evga will just point fingers all while the customer eats the cost.

I too bought this board for the intent and the promise which they guaranteed us for the quad upgrades. I am sick of these problems, first it was their 7900GTX issues, then the quad compatibility issue, and now this... each one of them I had to deal with.

I know it's not evga's fault for a lot of it, but when you put your name on a product, you BETTER know what you are selling and what you are offering a warranty on. If you don't believe so, then I have some great land to sell to you in Florida.... but if you find it a little swampy... don't blame me, blame the environment. If Martha Steward can personally inspect EACH product line and give it the "ok" and then stands behind her product all the way, I'm sure a company like evga can do that too.

Anyways, looks like Intel's chipset offerings is becoming more and more like a sealed deal for me.

I'm glad I sold my 680i board (and my 2nd GPU) a while ago and moved to a single card P35 solution.

It's not that big a deal for nVidia. People who bought the 680i were people who wanted a high end SLI set-up, and didn't mind spending for it. Although some might have bought the 680i due to the marketing hype, high end SLI is the only real reason to get one of these boards.

And people like that would upgrade quickly anyway. They'll upgrade to the Yorkfields and upgrade their M/B's to the latest kit anyway anyway, regardless of cost (within reason of course).

If Martha Steward can personally inspect EACH product line and give it the "ok" and then stands behind her product all the way, I'm sure a company like evga can do that too.

Yeah, cuz bath towels and pillow cases are a lot like motherboards and video cards.

E

Yeah, cuz bath towels and pillow cases are a lot like motherboards and video cards.

E

Yes, they are exactly like motherboards and video cards, and every other product in the world that's not directly manufactured by the endorser. Because when you (EVGA) endorse ANY product, you are placing your trust in said company (nVIDIA). So when the company screws you, you've got 2 choices:

1. Pass the screwing on to the consumer/customer, and let them pay for it.
2. Take responsibility and rectify the problem to satisfy the customer and give them what they paid for in the first place.

As of right now, EVGA is picking choice #1, until they say they are acting otherwise.

On that note, I hope, and am hopeful that EVGA will prove me wrong.

I own a EVGA 680i

I'm also irked that I wont be able to put a 45nm Quad in it. But this is not EVGA's fault. This is NVIDIA's fault. EVGA is probably on our same boat, not knowing if this new CPU was going to be supported. They probably got told it would be.

I have three of the 680i boards and I find myself not being upset over this at all. I suspect that there is something else occurring since we saw many reviews using the new chip that provided the awesome OC's with 680i boards and a beta BIOS. I suspect the issue is around the voltage supplied by the board, since the new processors use significantly less voltage and the 680i boards provide too much. I think Intel may simply be muscling NVIDIA on supportability for this CPU since they are basically licensed to provide Intel compatible boards. If they did create a BIOS that supported it but provided the option for way more voltage that safely applied, it could lead to warranty liabilities on Intel's end. So, instead, Intel probably required NVIDIA to rescind supportability for the new processor. For the conspiracy folks, it may simply be a marketing angle to sell new Intel motherboards on Intel's end or even NVIDIA. Who knows, but I suspect the voltage support on the 680i to be at issue.

Well the evga 680i was a "reference 680i" motherboard, basicly nvidia designed it, had it produced, then evga, xfx, foxconn and others put the finishing touches on it, but the same nvidia design. Not like dfi or asus or msi who make their own pcb designs.

It should also be noted that nvidia recently ended the program where they make their own reference motherboard pcb and deliver it to AIB's, everyone is going to have to make their own pcb design from here on out it looks like.

This is an nvidia problem, but if you ask me, I think intel is screwing nvidia on this one somehow, or intel designed something new that old 680i boards cant work with, atleast not without a bios update, may or may not be forthcoming.

I'm glad I sold my 680i board (and my 2nd GPU) a while ago and moved to a single card P35 solution.

It's not that big a deal for nVidia. People who bought the 680i were people who wanted a high end SLI set-up, and didn't mind spending for it. Although some might have bought the 680i due to the marketing hype, high end SLI is the only real reason to get one of these boards.

And people like that would upgrade quickly anyway. They'll upgrade to the Yorkfields and upgrade their M/B's to the latest kit anyway anyway, regardless of cost (within reason of course).

:rolleyes:

and to the two posters above me, I think I might have to agree: More of a licensing issue then a hardware issue.

Well the evga 680i was a "reference 680i" motherboard, basicly nvidia designed it, had it produced, then evga, xfx, foxconn and others put the finishing touches on it, but the same nvidia design. Not like dfi or asus or msi who make their own pcb designs.

It should also be noted that nvidia recently ended the program where they make their own reference motherboard pcb and deliver it to AIB's, everyone is going to have to make their own pcb design from here on out it looks like.

Good news indeed:).

MSI also did a "reference 680i" called simply P6N / P6N 680i SLi, prior to the delayed P6N Diamond and only in certain markets as a "stop gap". It has caused us owners a lot of problems as MSI ignored it and never really supported it. Only some:mad: support was made available after much discussion on the MSI forum. Unfortunately it has put me of MSI for ever.

This does make for some interesting reading:

Support for P6N (nForce 680i) motherboard?

Cheers, Wadadli4Sun

S[H]ady;1031709066 said:
well looks like i wont be getting a new quad in january.

I guess i'll just stick it out with my Q. until nehalem drops next year. Not that i'm happy i can't just drop a new one in, but this is probably good new. i wont be as tempted to get a new proc as i'd have to get a new mobo too.
Guess i'll just get an 8800GT and sit back until next summer

I tend to think along your lines... I was hoping to be able to "pop in" a 45nm in Q1 of this new year, but my wife will be happy that I can't do so in my 680i mobo... So far, it's running GREAT with my Q6700.... other than I'm a newb at overclocking and can't seem to get the finer details set right...

Lucky for me my Hybrid chipset Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus seems to support the new 45nm quad cores (as of the latest bios). :D

Back