Everything is gone again?

I'm not saying you can't get a prebuilt or custom built, but compare any prebuilt with a 5700xt in it and I bet it's 2x the cost of a ps5. It's just cheaper to buy a console and than an equivalent PC.
Yes but for many (that will have a computer anyway) the question could often become what the cost of a PS5 + regular PC or PC like device vs a PC able to game

Again, we're the exception for this, not the norm.
People that would ever play big game on a PC are the exception, not the norm and we are talking about that minority, people that would ever consider doing that probably do so because they have had PC in their life already. For someone that would have not have a PC at all if he would not want to game on it, the cheapest answer (if we remove piracy obviously) is a console, for a very common scenario of people that work from home on a PC anyway, the price difference can become quite smaller, could often come down on a $65 more expensive PSU + a video card type of difference.

We often exclude price when we talk about stuff, the TV for a console, the Internet cost for Netflix, often for good reason but that for some would not be fair, for gaming PC to count 100% of the cost of it make sometime sense (someone building a new PC to put in is living room that will exist exclusively because he want to game on it) but often does not, has say the first $400 would have went into a regular non gaming able PC anyway and they added to it more performance for a computer they would have had anyway otherwise. It can sound like a stretch but look at the popularity in pre-build PC of the Ryzen cpus, why would a purely for gaming machine not go with the intel proposition instead ? A lot of it could be heard mentality, but a large percentage of people gaming on a PC could be doing other things on it, from browsing, torrenting, working from home and so on.

Same goes if someone last TV they bought took into consideration (and in the pricing) what the TV do when it receive an over 30 hz signal because they planned to plug a console in it, that goes into the price of console gaming but just how much more they paid than what they would have paid otherwise for their only for movie/tv series watching TV they would have got instead.

Last edited:
HockeyJon You do wonder who set this pricing, is is MemX doing it, or the Manuf. suggested pricing. Seems the pricing is the same all around shops.

I wonder if market pricing is a factor as well, and by that I mean street pricing. We saw this a bit during the mining craze, where even retail the prices were elevated. That said, this one makes zero sense. If you can afford $875, you can afford $960 for a significantly better performing part. Whoever set that pricing is on crack. I was interested in a 3070, but at that price, why bother! I may as well just get a 3080, especially given how good the cooler is on the TUF non-OC variant which is SUPPOSED to be at MSRP.

AMD may change my mind further. I may even sit out this cycle at this point anyway given what’s going on, but the 3070 pricing stood out to me as absolutely unreasonable by any measure, especially given that these cards don’t really OC particularly well anyway.

I have a feeling Ebay will not be as flexible with the returns of 3080's if there is a sharp increase of whats normal for the category. That's alot of profit from fee's on the returns they would be losing.

That wouldn’t surprise me. Local retailers here have marked the cards as final sale. It’s clearly and effort on their part to avoid some idiot trying to return 50 cards his bot purchased that he couldn’t sell on the secondary market. I’m sure EBay will take the same approach.

You need to go over to FPS Review and read the Watch Dogs new review.
The game needed over 8 GB of memory to run all the features.
Sure it's one game, but it has all the bells and whistles.
I think the 3080 with 10 GB isn't going to be enough soon.
Thats where the new AMD stuff is going to be the schizzle.

I'm sure on 18 NOV there won't be an AMD card left standing.

I'm planning on Feb 2021 before you can pick and choose a new GPU for your gaming.

I have to disagree here. They can't program games for all of the high end, everyone else would be left out. Just my 2 cents..

I have to disagree here. They can't program games for all of the high end, everyone else would be left out. Just my 2 cents..

Key word is all the features, and yes they can and mostly should put all the IQ (image quality) setting possible in most games. If you can't max it out, turn it down or off.

Would you consider buying a 5600XT or even a 1660 Ti a bad purchase right now? Are we expecting these cards to further drop in value once 3070/6800 are in stock?

Back