Everex XT5000T Support thread

Please can someone help me? I've ran the HP storage format on both my windows 7 and xp computer using the windows 98 system files and it STILL DOES NOT create any files on the USB. It is a 256mb usb drives from staples. Please!

This is an old thread, While not much in the way of traffic here I was updating my web server and see that there are still some using those xt5000t files. Issues aside this system seems to have lasted some quite a long time.

Mine died again after my last posts of heavy testing. It would work momentarily with a little pressure on GPU/NB area. I didn't want to bother do another reflow in place, and went out of my way to find stencils for both the Northbridge and GPU, but unfortunately, getting the chips off the board was impossible without lifting at least a few pads, some off the chip itself (impossible to repair without replacement chip). The especially vulnerable pads are usually at one corner or another. Same happened again with me on another board (from which I was trying to pull a working NB), even after double-checking lower heat temp, and after making sure that the solder is completely melted and that the chip moves in all directions. This is with nearly 230C degrees, just to get it moving. The chip's critical temp is 240, so that complicates things further -- one can easily burn it accidentally either during pull or re-solder (after reball).

Oh mine died years ago. Still have it, not sure what to do with it. Tossing it seems wrong, but at this point I don't see any use in trying to fix it. One of these I'll probably just schlep it off to Best Buy for recycling after I strip it down and remove anything useful.

Yeah, these aer a nightmare to fix properly. Reball is the only way and they were not designed for this to be anywhere near a routine procedure. Not that it can't be done, it just is not easy or for the faint of heart.

Still though I am getting quiet a few DL's of the various files. I'm just glad I was able to get the files from the site before they closed up shop...............

Any pointers or instructions on how to reball it? Mine sat around for years. I fired it up the other day and it worked, I was shocked. But after one or two shutdowns it was dead again. So it feels like I should be able to get it back, just no clue as to what's the easiest or most effective way to do it myself.

Thought I would share, It is possible to join the two heat sinks using solder and a heatgun. This skips the thermal pad that normally bond the two thus increasing cooling performance. The trick is to use small vice grips to hold the copper insert on the gpu cooler in place or else it will float while heating everything.

I placed a small loop of solder between the two and heated with a normal heat gun on high. Once the top heat sink started to settle into the bottom I removed heat, added additional solder and then using small pliers compressed the two and held them for a few minutes until everything solidified. The trick it to pull this off without messing up the height of the contact point for the CPU. If you are too far off no amount f pressure will cause the copper to sit flush on the processor. If your off a little the copper can be bent using pliers. If your way off at this stage it should be trivial to reheat and remove/readjust the two.

The downside to this is it requires total disassembly of the laptop to remove the cooling assembly now. (as the gpu/north-bridge cooler is under the case) I don't have any exact numbers as I attempted this mod spur of the moment but just using a touch test there is no longer a difference in temperature between the two coolers. This would imply much more uniform heat distribution and potentially better cooling.

Well I had a rework operator do mine and it still has issues. To reball it takes the correct tools and the know how. My guy takes about a week on average to reball one IC, he is profectionis.

I put mine in the closet until I find a better way to deal with oversheating, that is the real problem. Keep it cool and it won't break.

I have two laptops with same issue, yes both are Everex. XT5300 and XT5000 and both use the same Nvidia video chip. Not Everex fault but Nvidia for selling substandard parts.

The thing is the balls that are breaking are between the die and the package typically not between the package and the motherboard which means they are not replaceable.

My XT5000T is still running fine with no changes to it at all, just lucky I guess, plus I don't use it as much as some. But now I need to change the CMOS battery. Are there instructions somewhere?
I have limited experience - I can build desktops and I can solder but I have never dug into a laptop.

Just throwing out here, I have two Everex XT5000T and an Everex XT5300T that have been sitting in my closet since I moved in 2012, so if anyone needs parts, I have them.

The CPU's, RAM, Hard drives, and power supplies are separate. I'm going to try and test all this out tomorrow.

Here's the tentative list:
Everex XT5300T
Originally purchased for parts for my XT5000T from a user on here, YellowSnow, in October 2010.
The motherboard was bad, classic issue. I did a video tutorial repairing the GPU / NB issue with a heatgun which lasted a long time. It went bad, I did it again and it lasted a few weeks, and again... then it would shut off within 10 seconds of being turned on. If I left it off for a while, I'd get it to stay on for about a minute, but I think the heatsink isn't making proper contact.

The XT5300T still looks solid, the screen has no dead pixels, the case is still in really solid shape, and the touchpad is good. This guy didn't use it like I used mine :)

Everex XT5000T
Purchased from Shodin10k in November 2010 after I fixed the XT5300T. I vaguely remember this one working perfectly fine. I'm trying to remember why I bought another one of these lol.

The XT5000T looks really solid, as well.

Edit: Classic GPU failure on this, fans rev up, lights flash, no POST. I'm going to try and repair it tomorrow.

My original XT5000T
The board on this was repaired by Everex after well over a month of them dicking me around and not responding. They drilled tiny ventilation holes and put aluminum thermal sheeting on the removeable panel, reinstalled TIM, and sent it back to me with my OS and data wiped.

The keyboard is worn, the screen had two dead pixels in the upper right hand corner that pissed me off, and the touchpad button was scraped up. The brackets, buttons, speakers, wifi card, and case overall is salvageable.

The screen is detached, the keyboard is detached, the case is separated. I was tearing this whole thing down to make a custom heatsink assembly out of copper tubing, and DC fans. I didn't finish the project.

CPUs:
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-64
AMD Athlon TK-53 (stock CPU for XT5300T)

RAM:
2 x 2GB Corsair Gaming DDR2 800 SO-DIMM
1GB Samsung DDR2 667 CL5
1GB A-Data DDR2 533 CL4 (stock RAM from the XT5000T)

Power Supplies:
2 x Stock
1 x Stock w/Jerry rigged repaired power cable, shortened to about a foot and a half

Batteries:
I've found three so far

I'll have to fire everything up tomorrow to see what works and what doesn't. This is more to see if anyone is interested or needs parts

Those TL turions were fun to overclock, they are getting on a bit now though.

Hey guys cant believe this thread still exists lol... i have mine in a draw but dont want to bake this no more lol... i have baked it like 20+ times... for those who dont remember me i was the one that first did the bake and told you guys it worked( page 92)... i have had laptops and computers after this but i have a strange liking for the screen on this laptop (it was just beautiful even by todays standard in my opinion)... any way i need a new motherboard for this thing and fan so anyone that has 1 for sale give me a pm (prefer not baked and working perfect, if thats possible)... wow this laptop was an experience if only the gpu was made to last :( .

I know this is old but I still get a few hundred hits per month for various files for this system on my site.

Back