Everex XT5000T Support thread

I picked up a TL-56 (1.8GHz) to upgrade my Everex ($18.75 shipped). Anyone got a link to the teardown pictures from before?

This'll mean I've upgraded:
CPU;
RAM (2x2B);
HDD (320GB/7200rpm + original);
WiFi (MSI MN54G).

Damn near a new laptop!

So,

I have an Everex stepnote xt5000t, 3g of ram, two harddrives, to about 250 I believe. and bum bum bum. I get the infamous, fan on, everything else off...

So one or two things can happen, someone can email me the step by step instructions, on how to do that fix... or someone can buy it off me to part out.

[email protected]

Hey all. I've had my 5300T for about 2 years and back in December had the familiar black screen. Finding Everex and their US site gone, I stumbled across this forum and reading all your solutions kept me from abandoning this laptop.

Long story short, I found Arndt Computer Repair in the St. Louis area. http://www.arndtcomputer.com/laptops.php

Took me awhile to backup my hard drive. Meanwhile James Arndt mailed me a box with a prepaid UPS shipping label. I loaded in the 5300 and mailed it on Wednesday, 27 Jan. Got an email from him on Saturday that said he'd received it Friday and had reflowed it and gotten it to boot, and he just needed my admin password to run some tests. I received it back Wednesday, 3 Feb, working as good as new. He even emailed me today to say he'd seen from the tracking info that it had been delivered, and wanted to make sure everything was working OK. Hard to find service like that anymore.

OK, sounds like best practices going forward are:

1) Get a good laptop auxiliary cooler. I'm cruising Newegg now, any suggestions?

2) Don't shut down immediately after use - let the laptop idle for 5-10 minutes before shutdown.

3) If leaving the laptop sitting, sounds like letting it 'sleep' might be better than powering down.

4) BIOS update to put the fan into permanent hurricane-mode. (Where is the update available and does it come with instructions?)

Hey all. I've had my 5300T for about 2 years and back in December had the familiar black screen. Finding Everex and their US site gone, I stumbled across this forum and reading all your solutions kept me from abandoning this laptop.

Long story short, I found Arndt Computer Repair in the St. Louis area. http://www.arndtcomputer.com/laptops.php

Took me awhile to backup my hard drive. Meanwhile James Arndt mailed me a box with a prepaid UPS shipping label. I loaded in the 5300 and mailed it on Wednesday, 27 Jan. Got an email from him on Saturday that said he'd received it Friday and had reflowed it and gotten it to boot, and he just needed my admin password to run some tests. I received it back Wednesday, 3 Feb, working as good as new. He even emailed me today to say he'd seen from the tracking info that it had been delivered, and wanted to make sure everything was working OK. Hard to find service like that anymore.
How much did the cost? Ok, site says $215. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

OK, sounds like best practices going forward are:

1) Get a good laptop auxiliary cooler. I'm cruising Newegg now, any suggestions?

2) Don't shut down immediately after use - let the laptop idle for 5-10 minutes before shutdown.

3) If leaving the laptop sitting, sounds like letting it 'sleep' might be better than powering down.

4) BIOS update to put the fan into permanent hurricane-mode. (Where is the update available and does it come with instructions?)

the bios for the XT5000T is on my page here at http://www.pcambrosia.com/xt5000t/ . It creates a bootable CD with the ISO image (non-raid bios XT5000T) I don't know if there was one specifically for the XT5300T though.........

Edit; I went back to the FTP site but couldn't even find the XT5000T files anymore. Not sure there is an XT5300T bios out there for the Turbo fan mode. This is funny as the 8600 Go's were the main chips supposedly with the solder issue...........

Last edited:
I just discovered (and read through much of) this thread but didn't see anything specific to my problem. I installed WIn7 Home Premium (64) and it all worked almost perfectly except the video driver. So I found an updated nVidia driver and now that works fine. The only thing that doesn't work is the front audio out jack. Maybe the mike doesn't work either but I haven't tried it.

It does cut off the sound to the speakers but nothing is heard through the headphones. I tried installing the Realtek drivers, both the VIsta and XP, but I get an error trying to install them.

Since I have XP on the second drive and the headphones work fine through that, I guess the only solution is an updated driver for something, but what? Should I try installing the chipset driver (which one)?

Dragon Age works slowly on XP but works great on WIn7. Only without headphones it's going to be annoying.

I just discovered (and read through much of) this thread but didn't see anything specific to my problem. I installed WIn7 Home Premium (64) and it all worked almost perfectly except the video driver. So I found an updated nVidia driver and now that works fine. The only thing that doesn't work is the front audio out jack. Maybe the mike doesn't work either but I haven't tried it.

It does cut off the sound to the speakers but nothing is heard through the headphones. I tried installing the Realtek drivers, both the VIsta and XP, but I get an error trying to install them.

Since I have XP on the second drive and the headphones work fine through that, I guess the only solution is an updated driver for something, but what? Should I try installing the chipset driver (which one)?

Dragon Age works slowly on XP but works great on WIn7. Only without headphones it's going to be annoying.
I just tried mine, and using the Audio drivers, from TAN's link (the full set), the front port works perfectly.
I have a few pics of when I tore mine apart. They are from a cheap phone camera though.
http://dragonbytes.org/index.php?module=Pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=1&pid=33
Thanks, man!

I just tried mine, and using the Audio drivers, from TAN's link (the full set), the front port works perfectly.Thanks, man!

Thanks, I found that it's more a general problem with notebooks than an Everex problem. This link explains about using the new Realtek drivers to fix it. Sure enough, it did. Happy camper again.

Been awhile since I've been here, kinda surprised to see this forum is still active.

My XT5000T is still kicking after 3 years despite all the doom and gloom. Recently I found that the Atheros wifi card bit the dust. I bought the venerated MSI MN54G2 to replace it, and it's not working either. Neither card is seen by Windows.

Then I remembered something about having to clear the CMOS or something to get a different miniPCI card to be seen, but I don't remember the specifics.

Tan, I know you replaced the Atheros a long time ago, what did you do to get it to work?

the bios for the XT5000T is on my page here at http://www.pcambrosia.com/xt5000t/ . It creates a bootable CD with the ISO image (non-raid bios XT5000T) I don't know if there was one specifically for the XT5300T though.........

Edit; I went back to the FTP site but couldn't even find the XT5000T files anymore. Not sure there is an XT5300T bios out there for the Turbo fan mode. This is funny as the 8600 Go's were the main chips supposedly with the solder issue...........

I just checked out the FTP site, and besides it being nearly impossible to connect to I did find the XT5000T files in the XTB70 folder.

I'm starting to wonder if my mini PCI slot is bad. I put in the MSI card and get nothing. I put in the Atheros card, still nothing. Either I got two bum wireless cards or the slot is toast. Sigh...

Damnit my Everex XT5000T just died on me. :(
It's been running like a champ for almost 2 years.
It was on doing some work and then poof it was still powered on
But no display output.
Force power off and reboot the system nothing will not post but the HDD led was active.

Well time to do some research to see if I can operate and save my poor laptop.

Been awhile since I've been here, kinda surprised to see this forum is still active.

My XT5000T is still kicking after 3 years despite all the doom and gloom. Recently I found that the Atheros wifi card bit the dust. I bought the venerated MSI MN54G2 to replace it, and it's not working either. Neither card is seen by Windows.

Then I remembered something about having to clear the CMOS or something to get a different miniPCI card to be seen, but I don't remember the specifics.

Tan, I know you replaced the Atheros a long time ago, what did you do to get it to work?

Willy I had no problems when replacing the Atheros card with the MSI card. I did first unistall the Atheros card from device manager(although if your Atheros card is not showing in Device manager this will not do much good), then shutdown, installed the MSI card and software and all was good to go. Although I do not still have my 5000 it is in my son-in-laws hands and is still alive & kicking.

If I remember correctly Tanware's idea was to start the machine and when at the initial startup phase (blue bar moving across the bottom of the screen ) power it off. Then install your new card and power her back up.

Amazing this thread is still alive after all this time, although not quite as active. Sure wish we had not lost all the good info on the old Everex forum.

Last edited:
To reset cmas when you power up while bios is attempting to initialize press and hold the power to stop the bios from full post. This clears the cmos and what was need to get the persistent esources of the atheros card cleared..........

Edit; I had to do this to get my card to work properly............

But no display output.
Force power off and reboot the system nothing will not post but the HDD led was active.

Mine has gone belly up three times now (I fear it's not long for this world) and I was able to revive it by taking off the back cover and pressing down on the GPU and various components near it. This worked the first 2 times. The third time I gave it the "left hand of God" smack and it came back.

Mine has gone belly up three times now (I fear it's not long for this world) and I was able to revive it by taking off the back cover and pressing down on the GPU and various components near it. This worked the first 2 times. The third time I gave it the "left hand of God" smack and it came back.

I am glad I got a new laptop. While mine still boots I don't trust it at all. It was nice while it lasted but oh well, live and learn as they say. At least I got my 18 months of normal use before upgrading. I just can't alow someone to inherit it...............

I am glad I got a new laptop. While mine still boots I don't trust it at all. It was nice while it lasted but oh well, live and learn as they say. At least I got my 18 months of normal use before upgrading. I just can't alow someone to inherit it...............

I'll be looking to buy a new laptop in 6-8 months. I just hope this bugger will last that long.

I purchased a Everex XT5300T back in 2007 from a US site called Newegg.com

This Laptop has a 8600M GS

It failed in oct of 2009 with distorted video and BSOD's as well as weird stuff and fails to load the driver correctly I'm sure it's due to the nvidia defect.

Any ideas on how to repair it?

But no display output.

Wow, I've never heard of this happening while working - usually it happens on bootup. Aside from that tho it sounds like the same GPU issue. I've had my repaired XT5300T back for a few weeks now, running like a champ.

I purchased a Everex XT5300T back in 2007 from a US site called Newegg.com

This Laptop has a 8600M GS

It failed in oct of 2009 with distorted video and BSOD's as well as weird stuff and fails to load the driver correctly I'm sure it's due to the nvidia defect.

Any ideas on how to repair it?
Usually the GPU problem manifests in a complete failure to boot - turn on the machine and the fan spins up and the hard drive light comes on, then nothing. It just hangs there. No video activity at all. If you're getting BSOD's and driver error messages it could be a different issue.

Wow, I've never heard of this happening while working - usually it happens on bootup. Aside from that tho it sounds like the same GPU issue. I've had my repaired XT5300T back for a few weeks now, running like a champ.

Yea I had it on my network not even signed into windows just powered on.
I was streaming a video from it to my main rig with all of a sudden poof I lost the connection.

Went to look at the laptop and it was still running but no activity few seconds later it seems to have shut itself down.

Checked for heat issues.. no hotter than normal
Tried to power it back on..
Powers on fans good but no post :(

I have a few pics of when I tore mine apart. They are from a cheap phone camera though.
http://dragonbytes.org/index.php?module=Pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=1&pid=33

From the pictures there I am going to assume that the GPU is non-removable without some de-soldering eh?

From the pictures there I am going to assume that the GPU is non-removable without some de-soldering eh?
Yeah, that's the whole issue, actually. The solder ceases to conduct electricity across it, so suddenly your computer has no GPU. Kinda like a car battery that's so corroded at the terminals that you can't start your car anymore. You can sometimes tap on the terminal, or wiggle it a bit, and get it to start. But eventually you've got to unhook the battery and clean the posts and terminals.

Did the cmos reset work for your issue with the wireless card?

I have the same issue and the cmos fix didn't fix the problem. I am on Windows Seven RTM 32 bit. I had trouble with the wireless card, and one day, it was not detected anymore. I am now using a USB external dongle for Wifi. I have bought recently an internal mini-pcie express card, but it is still not detected :(. So I believe my mini-PCI slot might be toast as well. Resetting the CMOS didn't fixed it. If someone has any idea... I would be really happy if I could make it work.

Just want to point out I had a Everex XT5000T for a good year and a half before I sold it off in great condition to a friend of mine for cheap. And it is still running great till this day.

Usually the GPU problem manifests in a complete failure to boot - turn on the machine and the fan spins up and the hard drive light comes on, then nothing. It just hangs there. No video activity at all. If you're getting BSOD's and driver error messages it could be a different issue.

Well it's getting worse to the point now I cant even get into windows without a BSOD

keeps BSODing on Nv4_disp.dll and also the video is very messed up.

Safe mode gives me no bsod but the video is very messed up.

I tired a blow dryer on the GPU but it didn't work

It sucks this laptop lasted 18 months and then died. Was a great laptop when it worked. Everex doesn't even exist in the US now.

Well it's getting worse to the point now I cant even get into windows without a BSOD ... keeps BSODing on Nv4_disp.dll and also the video is very messed up. ... Safe mode gives me no bsod but the video is very messed up.

Of course not, you've got a different problem. When the GPU problem manifests itself, you don't get BSODs and safe mode doesn't work. You get nothing. Nada. No screen activity whatsoever. This problem sounds like a borked video driver or something. Have you recently updated anything?

Of course not, you've got a different problem. When the GPU problem manifests itself, you don't get BSODs and safe mode doesn't work. You get nothing. Nada. No screen activity whatsoever. This problem sounds like a borked video driver or something. Have you recently updated anything?

I think it's the video card as the video is messed up during the bios post.

Also safe mode video looks all messed up and there is no driver loaded.

It lasted about 18months then it started. About the same as all the other Nvidia defect people.

Same issue with a Linux live cd

A really long shot if you want to try it. The Wireless has been known to conflict with the viideo, try removing it and at power up press and hold the power button until it shuts off to remove the wireless from cmos. Boot without the wireless card to see if it returns to normal. Like I said a long shot but something to try.........

Last edited:
I think it's the video card as the video is messed up during the bios post. Also safe mode video looks all messed up and there is no driver loaded.
It lasted about 18months then it started. About the same as all the other Nvidia defect people.
I'm simply saying it doesn't act the same as the 'standard' error. It could certainly still be a video hardware problem, but your symptoms don't match the usual pattern.

Well it's getting worse to the point now I cant even get into windows without a BSOD

keeps BSODing on Nv4_disp.dll and also the video is very messed up.

Safe mode gives me no bsod but the video is very messed up.

It sucks this laptop lasted 18 months and then died. Was a great laptop when it worked. Everex doesn't even exist in the US now.

Try pressing down firmly on the GPU and northbridge, see if that puts some more life into it.

So get this. I'm doing my thing and all of a sudden the screen goes black and the laptop is completely locked up (it seems to happen once in awhile, I'm sure due to its pending failure). I shut it down and restart, and I'm greeted with a new hardware notification for my new MSI miniPCI wifi card. Go figure. I installed the drivers and it's working fine.

But now I'm afraid to shut it down.

Back