Everex US is Now Closed

:-\ the stepnote xt5000t I got a couple years back was a decent deal for a decent desktop replacement "notebook". sad to see them go

I mom bought my Dad a Everex PC for his birthday a couple of years ago. Been a pretty good PC for him. Sad to see them go.

xt5000t was a very flexible for the price and for the time, I was tempted to pick on up (upgrade the CPU and add another HDD).

My wife has an XT5000T as well. Worked well until the wireless NIC failed.

Why their designers had an obsession with the "\" key was always a popular question. Do you really need 3 of them on a laptop keyboard? Was that finger stretch to reach the standard key so strenuous that they needed to add a couple more in different places? ;)

Weird. Maybe Walmart put them under?

Before they pulled down their forums, it was a apparent their XT500X series laptops were suffering from serious heat issues. They even had an official free replacement out of warranty. Once this got out they shutdown the forums, 6 months later they are gone. I had one of the dud laptops that would overheat and kill the video. I guess you get what you pay for, even the replacement they sent me had the same problem less then a month after getting it back.

Shame to see them go. The first computer I've ever used was an Everex bought by my dad back in 1988.

I recommended to my friend to get an Everex notebook a few years ago based on its specs. For the specs vs. price, it was a good deal. I assume it's still going today. Funny thing, he went with his brother to get one a few weeks later at Best Buy and the guy working there told him they didn't carry Everex and that they were cheap computers you get from Wal-Mart. But my friend had just bought his at Best Buy just weeks before that.

Bought my mom a slightly-used, very-on-the-cheap Everex notebook based on a VIA C-7M, and bumped it to 2GB of RAM. Interestingly enough, though it was a cheap laptop, it had one high-end feature I couldn't get on my ThinkPad; a 15" 1440x900 LCD.

It's a little bit plasticky-looking, but it works great for her. For $200, for a near-new notebook that still has full battery life, a combo drive, WiFi, etc., it was a decent deal.

Before they pulled down their forums, it was a apparent their XT500X series laptops were suffering from serious heat issues. They even had an official free replacement out of warranty. Once this got out they shutdown the forums, 6 months later they are gone. I had one of the dud laptops that would overheat and kill the video. I guess you get what you pay for, even the replacement they sent me had the same problem less then a month after getting it back.

This issue was discussed thoroughly in the Everex X500xt thread here on the forum a number of times, and the first thing I did with my two x5000xt laptops was to remove the stock thermal tape and use some real paste.

One wireless NIC died and one DVD drive died. The NIC was cheap and easy to replace, but we're still hobbled with the broken dvd drive. I can't find any replacements that will fit. I need to dremel the plastic housing to try replacing it.

I have a whitebox socket a MB that was apparently rebranded by everex... it was used to build an old sempron box I had. I still have it too, but I have nothing worth running on a sempron.

quite an old company. I stumbled upon an old Everex on a shelf at an internship a couple of years back. had an intel 486

Was it those defective nvidia chipsets?

I believe the defective chips from nVidia were the 8600 go series. This laptop had the 7600go.

Mine haven't had any overheating issues in the two years I've been using them since I replaced the TIM with real thermal paste. I did that within the first couple days of buying the laptops.

I've worked on their machines before. There are certainly worse out there but these were nothing special.

That's too bad. I liked the idea of them selling ultra ultra low cost computers to people who couldn't afford more, but I guess there's a cutoff point where even $100 extra for a bigger name brand machine is worth it for low income people.

Back