Ever Buy an Original PS3? Sony May Owe You $65

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Owners of the original, “fat” PS3 may be entitled to $65 due to Sony’s “OtherOS” settlement, in which the company had violated its promise of letting gamers install Linux on the console. Those who qualify may submit a claim at OtherOSsettlement.com.

Where do you begin? If you purchased an original "Fat" PS3 between November 1, 2006, and April 1, 2010 at an "authorized retailer" in the US -- so not Craiglist, where I bought mine -- you're eligible to receive up to $65 for each original PS3 you bought. You can submit multiple claims if you bought more than one. The deadline is April 15, 2018.

I bought one of the 20GB models from walmart when They first released only to try it out and the flip it on eBay. If I could only find my picture of the receipt...

I have two of them..the problem is that shitty thermal paper used for receipts. I have no proof I bought them anymore.

I am really not shocked people are not just using the serial pics of eBay and submitting 100's of claims... lol..

the lawyers get a cool 1 and a quarter mill.

this all seems stupid now that the lv0 keys are leaked and sony couldn't stop anyone from hacking the PS3 anyway.

Kinda dumb suing over a feature no one used or wanted. It was even very limited to begin with. I though this was settled years ago? Guess they trying to remind people they have money owed? Doubt many people still have their receipts after all these 10 years.

I have two of them..the problem is that shitty thermal paper used for receipts. I have no proof I bought them anymore.

I bought one of the 20GB models from walmart when They first released only to try it out and the flip it on eBay. If I could only find my picture of the receipt...
Don't think you need the receipt.

I tried it, it requested I either have the PSN login for that period or the serial# of the console.

Like I'm going to remember that. If you still have your console, you might be good to go.

Just dragged mine out from the closet and filled out the form. 65 bucks is better than what Gamestop would give me since the damn thing doesnt work anyways.

I actually loaded up and tried out Yellow Dog Linux on my Fat PS3 ages ago. Thought it was a cool option and that the capability existed, but just tried it out and then wiped it. I still have the unit - and it still runs fine, though other than the kids monkeying with it or my using it for streaming on the basement TV, I rarely fire it up anymore. Bought it off Amazon in 2008, so I have a printable receipt anytime I need it. I went ahead and filed a claim. $65 is $65. Process was pretty simply. You need to have it tied to your PSN account though, so those thinking of making false claims will most likely get caught/rejected.

Darn.... US only. I have my 80GB "FAT" PS3 downstairs still too. Too bad, so ad for me I guess.

I started to submit but I don’t know where I bought my PS3 nor what the serial number was (it’s long gone now). Basically the chance at $65 isn’t worth me moving heaven and earth to try to figure all this out.

Mine works fine, submitted the serial number and now I just wait I guess.

Never did use that feature but I do remember the whole "Cell processor / Linux / etc" being a thing until someone as Sony figured that was a "Piracy vector" and they decided to remove it. The next month it was hacked anyway.

Dang, used to own one, it died. Ended up parting it out. Man those original's had a terrible internal design. Probably why they overheated so much.

Wait a minute...wasn't there already one of these? I seem to recall there was a similar class action but you could actually get varying levels of reward - if you just had a Fat PS3 you got C rank money, if you knew about OtherOS you got B rank money, and if you actually USED it (by means of a screen shot, pictures of a disc with an OtherOS compatible operating system like Yellow Dog Linux etc..) you got A rank money which was esaily over $100 if I recall. I seem to remember that the reply date was quite some time ago.

Is this the same settlement in a different phase? Or a different settlement entirely? Does being in one preclude you from the other or are they considered to be about different things (ie one is the use of OtherOS, the other being the use of Linux that just happens to come via OtherOS etc)? I don't see any of the same requirements for this so it may be a different suit....

Sweet, mine is the first version of the original still working perfectly. Seems like the only thing needed to apply is S#... am I correct >?

Don't think you need the receipt.

I tried it, it requested I either have the PSN login for that period or the serial# of the console.

Like I'm going to remember that. If you still have your console, you might be good to go.

Oh I guess I'll try then. I still have both PS3's and my PSN.

I got the settlement email earlier this month. I will have to reread it, I think my name is already on a list and I do not need to fill out anything additional.

I miss the PS3 if for nothing else, the last of the 128bit CPU's, and Red Dead Redemption.

There were 2 email addresses I used back then... 50/50 shot of getting in the settlement?
You can verify by PSN ID name, email address on PSN, or the console serial number. I don't think they'll take a receipt since they can't correlate that with who enabled the Other OS functionality.

Back