Even Mount Everest Has 3G

John_Keck

Limp Gawd
Ncell and TeliaSonera have teamed up to install 3G internet at the Mount Everest base camp which will cover the entire mountain and surrounding area. Climbing the mountain takes time, and no one should have to go that long without their pron!

Prior to Ncell’s upgrade, climbers had to use satellite phones to stay in touch with friends and family. Although it stands to reason that if you can afford the equipment and the trip to Everest, you can probably pony up $100.00 for a phone call.

So 3g doesn't work in my house, and I live in a major town...

Quake deathmatch at the peak would awesome at the top! Freezetaaag!!

Great,it must be a real bitch when your call gets dropped as you let your family know you're about to become another frozen decoration on that killer mountain.

Yeah but even hick town West virigina still doesnt. I traveled thru there and the entire state was a 3G dead zone.

I doubt stock phones would survive the temperatures, 3G service or not.

Waste of money. Better put to use by picking up all the junk and dead bodies up there.

Waste of money. Better put to use by picking up all the junk and dead bodies up there.

They be under the snow, and the yettis would have already eaten most things.

Cheaper option would be putting a netbook with a 480m and wireless n coated in yetti deterant every 300m from the desktop in the base station and running a mesh network.

I laughed when I got a picture of my father on top of Pikes Peak talking on his phone he said "It rang, so I answered it"
then I checked and we had service on Mount Evans, and most of the way through Rocky Mountain National Park. (the funny part is that not much else was covered during this same trip but the bigger areas)

That's awesome, Mount Everest now has 3G but at my work, I barely get any coverage from Sprint or AT&T... Wow.

I wonder who will be the first to tweet from the top of Mt Everest :p

Back