Europe to Get Windows 7 Sans Browser

To be honest, the majority of OEMs are going to install, IE b4 shipp their PC's anyway. MS will make it easy and painless to do, and the OEM's will create their images with IE installed. This is MS giving itself an out when the lawsuits and EU investigators start sniffing around for another cash infusion.

"We removed it and gave the OEMs the option to install whatever they wanted, we can't help that they chose IE. Go sue them why don'tcha"

Considering how many times Microsoft has been fined by the EU for stuff like this?
The SAME EXACT case, just with Windows Media Player, already lost them like $800B or so.
EU was already talking about IE.

Wouldn't logical sense follow, consider it's the same case except IE this time, to not include it in the system to avoid a fine?

Are you sure you didn't multiply the real number by a bit ? It was €497 million ($794 million or £381 million) for WMP case. On 27 February 2008, the EU fined Microsoft an additional €899 million (US$1.44 billion) for failure to comply with the March 2004 antitrust decision.

In total, that is still $2.2B. Where is the remaining $797.8B ?

Are you sure you didn't multiply the real number by a bit ? It was €497 million ($794 million or £381 million) for WMP case. On 27 February 2008, the EU fined Microsoft an additional €899 million (US$1.44 billion) for failure to comply with the March 2004 antitrust decision.

So he rounded and accidentally put a B where he should have put an M. The point is still valid.

So he rounded and accidentally put a B where he should have put an M. The point is still valid.
Thank you... Glad someone gets it.

Heaven forbid I round the number up 0.007% to $800M...
And the B was purely accidental, OBVIOUSLY I meant to put an M.

I'm just a little curious here but why can't MS just give the finger to the EU and stop supporting the region? They would still push the same amount of inventory I would imagine because imports would be through the roof.

I dunno if I was a CEO of a major company and had some form of buracracy telling me what to do I would tell them to kick rocks. I mean seriously what would the EU do? They couldn't do anything.

Same deal with the US and taxing the hell out of them, when old dude said they would take jobs overseas and it's HQ to prevent it. Threaten to pull all products and support from the market. Someone needs to stand up to the government might as well be MS, when the world evolves around PC's and 99 out of every 100 computers on the planet has Windows you have some heavy leverage over anyone.

next-Jin, it is called profit, that's why they can't show a finger to EU. Even with all those fines, they get lots and lots of $$$ (or €€€ ?) from EU, so it's worth doing it for them even through fines. Simple mathematics.

And guess what? After all this, people are going to pop their Windows disk in and install IE8 anyway, because the public likes and wants Internet Explorer.

I'm just a little curious here but why can't MS just give the finger to the EU and stop supporting the region? They would still push the same amount of inventory I would imagine because imports would be through the roof.

Microsoft's international business is massive, there is no way they can get away with doing this without pissing off a ton of customers and losing lots of money in the process.

I dunno if I was a CEO of a major company and had some form of buracracy telling me what to do I would tell them to kick rocks. I mean seriously what would the EU do? They couldn't do anything.

Same deal with the US and taxing the hell out of them, when old dude said they would take jobs overseas and it's HQ to prevent it. Threaten to pull all products and support from the market. Someone needs to stand up to the government might as well be MS, when the world evolves around PC's and 99 out of every 100 computers on the planet has Windows you have some heavy leverage over anyone.

I'd personally like to see what happens. However I do not have Microsoft's sales numbers. I'd venture to guess, even after over a billion spent on fines collectively, that they've still come out ahead in sales...

Micosoft should just leave.

There's no way Europe could make their own OS.

If it wasn't for selling us cheese or raiding our corporations they'd have nothing.

Considering how many times Microsoft has been fined by the EU for stuff like this?
The SAME EXACT case, just with Windows Media Player, already lost them like $800B or so.
EU was already talking about IE.

Wouldn't logical sense follow, consider it's the same case except IE this time, to not include it in the system to avoid a fine?

I'm not disagreeing with you in principle. All I'm saying is that the EU didn't force MS to do this. They made this decision on their own. My guess is they're hoping that this prevents them from having to put Firefox (my favorite browser), Safari, Chrome or Opera on 7 disks.

Personally, if I was deciding, it'd be good enough, but then I wouldn't force them to decouple a fucking web browser from 7.

I don't use IE much, but I do want it, since there are still websites that were coded for IE 5/6 instead of web standards....besides it makes it easy to log into 2 different email accounts without overwriting cookies.

Bottom line is the course of action that MS took was their decision alone. My guess is that the EU will want them to distribute 7 with other browsers....hell the way things are going, it almost wouldn't surprise me if they insisted that MS include Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera while not including IE. It's pretty clear that they've got an anti-MS hair up their ass.

If I'm an international corporation with operations in the EU, U.S., Canada and so on, what do I do? I can't buy a license in the EU (and presumably importing them breaks some law/contract)....do I now switch to OS/X, Solaris, Linux or something else?

As I said before, MS isn't going to cut of their nose to spite their face.

I agree with the sentiment, and in an ideal world, they could do that, and the EU would back down, but MS can't take a chance on that hurting their international operations.

I think they've made the right move. If nothing else, it will show the world that the people suing them in the EU are a bunch of whining assholes.

Just don't release Win7 in Europe.

Even with the fines and lawsuits, the support contracts are just too lucrative.

EU consumers pay the fines anyway, the EU citizenry just does not realize MS, like other corporations, will get the fine monies back a euro here and a euro there over time in seemingly miniscule price increases for it's products and services.

Back