Ethereum ASIC Has Performance of 8 GTX 1080s for $800

I love the fact that Bitmain does not accept Bitcoin as a form of payment. Maybe this will be the final of what has been a series of nails in the coffin of GPU based mining. Thanks to @WhoBeDaPlaya for the story.

If history serves us again, it'll be a short reprieve followed by a new "GPU-friendly" alt-coin that slowly gains traction until an ASIC is made for it's algorithm. Rinse and repeat.

so $7 a day if you had it in hand right now which you wont 5$ a day by the time you can actually get one Zero resale value and you can't play games on it and Eth could transition to POS at any time rendering all of your investment worthless... woot:dead:.

If AMD gpu's were anywhere near retail this wouldn't be news it would be a sad joke.

That $800 pricepoint won't stick. I'm sure it is just short term marketing and will rise sharply due to high quality memory -- since that's the real challenge with Ethash. The reason Radeon and Vega cards do so well with mining ETH is due to the very efficient memory controller. Performance tweaks are tightly coupled to memory timings.

Quite frankly, whoever gets these for $800 are in for some easy money for the upcoming and demoralizing DAG days. And it won't be over quickly. Casper is a long run out even still.

How you going to do that when in the first place you would not pay $900.00 for 1 video card. So how you going to afford even 1 ASIC.

I say, just to fuck with miners, we buy all the ASICs, drive up their prices and reduce availability and use them for gaming...

Until I see a teardown, I'm not convinced the e3 is an asic... It may be mobile or desktop gpu's on one main board.... The performance numbers just aren't there..

That Bitmain Eth . miner is going to be useless sooner than it is available. ETH devs are considering a fork or algo mod to stop it. This is at least what the general public is being told. Monero just did a hard fork rendering all of the bitmain miners expensive paper weight.
By the way all my Vega cards do 44 in eth.
1070's 30, 1080 Ti 36 no mods with about 1 % stale shares.. All of my 580 do 30+ with modded memory timings that anyone can do in about 3 min.
Don't get your hopes up. mining is not going anywhere and the buy back will start when all of the Exchanges are done filing taxes, so in a couple of days the prices are going to slowly go up on most major coins. :D

This. If you already own a 6 rx 580 rig why would you stop mining on it and sell? 30x6=180, and the power is comparable to the ASIC.

This ASIC is no gpu killer. It just on par with current GPUs. And you take the risk of a fork rindering it useless.

180MH/s , 800W for $800 is pretty damn good

https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/eth?HashingPower=180&HashingUnit=MH/s&PowerConsumption=800&CostPerkWh=0.12&MiningPoolFee=2

ROI in 9 months at current prices, half that if it gets back to winter prices....
ROI will be much longer once all the ASICs are online though. The difficulty will shoot through the roof. Even if the price jumps i bet you'll be lucky if you make your investment back. Same thing happened back in the day with LTC

ROI will be much longer once all the ASICs are online though. The difficulty will shoot through the roof. Even if the price jumps i bet you'll be lucky if you make your investment back. Same thing happened back in the day with LTC
unless the asics were already online which could account for the previous jump in difficulty around the turn of the year that people theorized were these asics??!?!!

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/ethereum-difficulty.html
ETH2.PNG

https://www.coinwarz.com/difficulty-charts/ethereum-difficulty-chart
ETH.PNG

Last edited:
I am seeing ~44 MH/s on my VEGA 56s clocked @ 950/1100Mhz (watercooled) with each drawing ~155W. My 580s with Hynix ram are doing ~31Mh/s clocked @ 1100/2150 with ~130W per card...The real money is with the Cryptonight hardforks, and I gotta say 8Kh/s+ is fairly sweet on Monero right now!

The uptick in January was from all of the altcoin miners switching to ether.... At least part of it was. The market tanked so Ether was considered pretty safe.

Until I see a teardown, I'm not convinced the e3 is an asic... It may be mobile or desktop gpu's on one main board.... The performance numbers just aren't there..
You're right about the performance, but it wouldn't matter if it's ASIC or not -- Ethash is well designed to be limited by long load/store instructions. The DAG is massive, and referenced in such a way that makes even caching difficult. Alternative, memory centric architectures are an option, but the gains are not that significant.

Eth difficulty seems to be dropping down. A lot of miners are jumping back at XMR.

I am seeing ~44 MH/s on my VEGA 56s clocked @ 950/1100Mhz (watercooled) with each drawing ~155W. My 580s with Hynix ram are doing ~31Mh/s clocked @ 1100/2150 with ~130W per card...The real money is with the Cryptonight hardforks, and I gotta say 8Kh/s+ is fairly sweet on Monero right now!

Try setting your vega in wattman to 852 core on P6 and P7 the last states and mem to 1100. Enjoy the drop in power consoption ;)

Try setting your vega in wattman to 852 core on P6 and P7 the last states and mem to 1100. Enjoy the drop in power consoption ;)

Thanks for the info, but I was incorrectiin my post. The Eth numbers should have been at 125W a card and not 155W.

The numbers I quoted for Cryptonight are with the latest 18.X drivers. Kudos to AMD for finally getting a decent gaming driver that also gives the mining performance of the terribly picky BC Driver!

I've been using them for over a week straight with no issues with gaming and then being able to jump right back into mining with no performance loss.

Reactions: noko
like this
4 Vega's pretty much matches the hash rate plus you have way more options to mine other stuff as well and plus way better resale value. Hell if one bought a whole bunch of Vega's when they came out, mined and then sold them in Feb, Mar not only would they got them for free but would have made a profit over the profit they mined for.

Monero fork using CryptonightV7 occurred making the Bitman Cryptonight ASIC pointless almost over night (well I am sure they mined a butt load prior to launch). For us GPU owners it gave us some rather nice returns once the hashrate nose dived, unfortunately didn't last as long as I would hope for, still the most profitable to mine yet. Other Cryptonight coins will follow suite after Monero. I wouldn't be too surprised if this becomes more of the norm when ASICs are released. Keeping mining with CPU's and GPU's and more decentralized. This also helps the coins out when more folks are involved vice just several huge mining farms.

Perfect...now miners can buy these and leave our damn gaming cards alone!
Miners should use a pickaxe and go to the nearest real mine. What, that involves work, not just turning electricity into currency? Too bad, so sad.
I don't care that they get money for virtually no work, a lot of people are in a similiar situation. The problem is that they're wasting valuable resources in great quantities to do it with no regard for long term consequences.

Not with the current DAG size. My 8GB 580 is doing just under 21Mh/s where my 1080 is doing just under 22Mh/s and my 1080Ti is doing just under 32Mh/s.
My GTX1070 and Ti both do about 30~32mhs

Miners should use a pickaxe and go to the nearest real mine. What, that involves work, not just turning electricity into currency? Too bad, so sad.
I don't care that they get money for virtually no work, a lot of people are in a similiar situation. The problem is that they're wasting valuable resources in great quantities to do it with no regard for long term consequences.
Gamers should just go out and LARP, which involves all senses for entertainment, and not just turn electricity into pixel images.

Gamers should just go out and LARP, which involves all senses for entertainment, and not just turn electricity into pixel images.

That's an awful lot of electrons you wasted being snarky...

"I love the fact that Bitmain does not accept Bitcoin as a form of payment."

What does this have to do with anything in the post, unless of course it's just par for the constant anti-Bitcoin specific HardOCP has been posting for the past few months?

That Bitmain Eth . miner is going to be useless sooner than it is available. ETH devs are considering a fork or algo mod to stop it. This is at least what the general public is being told. Monero just did a hard fork rendering all of the bitmain miners expensive paper weight.
By the way all my Vega cards do 44 in eth.
1070's 30, 1080 Ti 36 no mods with about 1 % stale shares.. All of my 580 do 30+ with modded memory timings that anyone can do in about 3 min.
Don't get your hopes up. mining is not going anywhere and the buy back will start when all of the Exchanges are done filing taxes, so in a couple of days the prices are going to slowly go up on most major coins. :D

Still, for the price of one or two of any of those graphics cards you can get 180MH/s. Unless you are gaming on your dozen or more graphics cards every single day and need more versatility out of them :S

Most miners try that line of defense but it doesn't work. Entertainment is one of the oldest trades. You know, "bread and circuses".
Entertainment not just has a value to society, it is absolutely essential. As it serves to make the population content. A content society is a productive society.
Sure miners provide some entertainment in their own right while trying to defend the indefensible. But the novelty in that wears out fast.

It's weird to think that a resource was mined and converted to energy, then the energy is mined and converted to currency. It's a long and inefficient process of misallocated effort.

nope. Every time some mining hardware comes out, miners will buy it and continue to buy regular gpu.

Just adding fuel to the fire. Not gonna solve gaming gpu problems.

Hell, if I was NVidia and AMD, I would give the finger to gamers and spend some of that hard cash on lobying to keep the cryptocraze alive. Surprised the board of those companies has not pushed them that way.

I keep seeing this headline and thinking, "Damn, I wish I could buy 8 1080s for $800." Not sure what I'd do with them all, I am sure I could figure something out though ;).

Most miners try that line of defense but it doesn't work. Entertainment is one of the oldest trades. You know, "bread and circuses".
Entertainment not just has a value to society, it is absolutely essential. As it serves to make the population content. A content society is a productive society.
Sure miners provide some entertainment in their own right while trying to defend the indefensible. But the novelty in that wears out fast.

Also it is a stupid argument because the objection isn't that mining uses power it is that it uses an insane amount of power, relative to what it provides. Visa is around 10,000,000 times or more energy efficient than Bitcoin for transactions. That isn't a small amount. It would be like objecting to someone who listened to music by having huge speaker stacks that played it at 140dB, but then put themselves in a concrete room to bring the volume down to 90dB for their listening level. The objection wouldn't be the entertainment, it would be the waste (and noise).

Miners are not providing anything that we don't already do better and more efficiently so ya, they are going to take shit for the energy waste.

Haven't mined Ethereum in months.

I've got 1070s, 1070Tis and a few 1080s.

Yep! Outside of eating, drinking, sleeping, breathing, and breeding, it all just comes down to what individuals think are important!
What individuals want and think is completely unimportant. What is efficient and sustainable flies. What is completely inefficient, wasteful, and pointless doesn't fly. There is no opinions in it, these are completely objectively measurable metrics. And the efficiency of crypto mining is as close to zero as one can get, given that it's an activity with no product.

Back