Etech4Sale.com Switching Drives

Oh, BTW -- I just checked the warranty info for both serial numbers on these MaXLine Plus II drives I got. Both warranties expire on 3/22/2010! 5-years, baybee! :D

I got mine too. One dated Sept 2003 and the other Jan 2004. Older style SATA drives but should still be fine. Labels look ok too....

Wish they had been newer but should still do ok.

RonB said:
I got mine too. One dated Sept 2003 and the other Jan 2004. Older style SATA drives but should still be fine. Labels look ok too....

Wish they had been newer but should still do ok.
What sucks about that, though, is the warranty. Maxtor drives are warranted from the manufacture date (starting apparently 60 days out from manufacture date, according to these new ones), not the purchase date, so half of your warranty is gone if these are 3-year drives, and totally gone if they're 1-year. That would be a problem for me.

To verify the remaining warranty, go here and type in the serial numbers.

Malatov said:
Oh, BTW -- I just checked the warranty info for both serial numbers on these MaXLine Plus II drives I got. Both warranties expire on 3/22/2010! 5-years, baybee! :D

I highly doubt I'll have either drive in 2010 but its sure going to be nice know that I have coverage for that long.

Malatov said:
Hey Ozz, I just got mine and opened 'em up and they are identical to yours. Genuine Maxtor labels and 19JAN2005 mfg date. :)

Whew...

I'm pleased with them. I'm not sure why some folks got runarounds and funky labeled drives, but I'm figuring that the switch for the 2MB buffer drives was unintentional, probably some part-time warehouse guy who pulled the wrong part or something.

Man, I'm happy for you guys that actually got the right drives. I shipped mine back today so my grand total for ZERO drives was $8.01 to ship the stupid thing back to California (homemade label and all). Actually, my homebrew drive was just simply mislabeled. It wasn't the fault of the warehouse guy (or so I would think since it was labeled incorrectly). Good for all of you that got the right drives :).

kirbyrj said:
Man, I'm happy for you guys that actually got the right drives. I shipped mine back today so my grand total for ZERO drives was $8.01 to ship the stupid thing back to California (homemade label and all). Actually, my homebrew drive was just simply mislabeled. It wasn't the fault of the warehouse guy (or so I would think since it was labeled incorrectly). Good for all of you that got the right drives :).

I would request a refund for their mistake..that just isn't right...

I ordered the 8 meg cache version, then my order was magically 'changed' to the 2 meg cache... so i was shipped that.. i called and complained, and fowarded my order confirmation and shipment confirmation, then they finally let me the thing... So I'm out cost of shipping as well..

buy beware.

Just do us all a favor and make sure you post reviews at places like reseller ratings. If you can, post a link to this thread too!

ozziegn said:
okay, first of all there's no sense in calling me stupid. you obviously have no idea of why I do what I do.

second, my phone # is a very hush-hush thing with me which is why I pay extra every year to have my # unlisted. its nice being able to come home at night and not having 5 or 10 people calling me and asking or begging for money from this organization or that supposedly non-profit club. yes, I use to have that crap happen to me all the time before I paid to have my number unlisted. almost three years later and I havent had not one call from any of those bozos...

Or you could just sign up to the FCC National Do Not Call Registry and get almost no phone calls, but for free. Between this and invoking the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1990 on those who used to call, I've got sales calls down to near zero.

But I always leave a contact number with legitimate businesses. Once you're on the national registry, businesses are only allowed to contact you if you are an existing customer. I want to be contacted if something goes wrong with a business transaction, myself.

Just got my two drives today. I had cancelled the Maxtor 250GB 6Y... drives and reordered the 7Y's. Have them in my system now. They check out and are the real deal. I was really nervous after reading this thread, but things turned out well for me. I had to wait a week longer for the 7Y's and they jacked up my shipping address, but other than that, I got what I paid for and am pleased with my purchase. I hope it works out for everyone else as well...

What's the deal with the 6Y vs 7Y drives? Where does it say that one is for continuous operation and one is not?

I explained all that in a post to the original thread where this deal came up. I think it's on the 2nd page of posts if your posts-per-page settings is at the default. I linked to the Maxtor datasheet for the 7Y and to a review which described the differences between a DiamondMax Plus 9 (6Y) and the MaXLine Plus II (7Y).

The 7Y is rated 24/7 and has a 5-year warranty. The 6Y is the older model with a lower MTBF and either a 1-year or 3-year warranty depending on how & where purchased.

Mine arrived today. I can't say I'm happy with the over-all outcome. Yeah, I got 7Y... But looking at the invoice, they were shipping me a 6Y (Which would have sucked.) which isn't even what I agreed to after calling them last week. I agreed to a 250 SATA for another $10. I didn't expect this to actually happen though, as they never changed my original order (?!?) to figure out what was going on.

So, next time, I go to FRY's :rolleyes:

DSC04528.JPG

EDIT: At least the page says 'call' now, instead of the 11 they claimed most of last week.

First of all, sorry for my english. I'm not a native english speaker.

I ordered 6Y on etech4sale.com and have used only two days.
Suddenly, it made very loud cracking noise , I was too scared and turned off my computer.
Turned on computer again, no more cracking noise but it is louder than before while reading or writing hard drive.
It works okay now, but when the hard drive is turning off, it makes so weird noise like broken fan or motor.(sorry I can't describe better than ths :rolleyes: )
Mine is 6Y with suspicious label. It does not look like genuine Maxtor.

anyway, how can I get RMA number??? I tried on their web site and they didn't give me any number. webpage just said my RMA request was sent and that's all.
It's my first time to do RMA ,never done that before. Please let me know how to get number.

I shouldn't have ordered the hard drive :(

sdgury: after filling out an RMA request, the company should email you an RMA #.
after that, you send the drive back.

So this morning when I checked my email i got a notice from etech that they most likely won't be able to fill my order (i cancelled it last week). they did however offer to replace my requested 250gb 8mb cache drive order with the 250gb 2mb cache drives for the same price. (how nice of them).

I replied back, thanx but no thanx.

bastages, there goes my terrabyte server :(

QM

So I finally got around to trying to punch in some serial numbers from my odd-labeled drives in that web form at https://www4.maxtor.com/en/support/service/rma/create/02_warranty_status.cfm -- none of my numbers work. I've tried every number on the drive and none are recognized as valid serial numbers. One of my drives has a stick 11/19/03 on it (ouch) and the other doesn't, but neither explicitly say "date manufactured: XX/XX/XX" or anything like that. It's all just numbers, numbers which Maxtor doesn't recognize. Leaves me wondering if I should RMA the drives or what. One appears to be 1-1/2 years old, the other I have no idea about. I'm using it in my computer right now though and it works like a charm. I've got it in a heatpipe cooler with some fans blowing over it. It's being babied, for sure. I'm going to get in touch with Maxtor as I should have earlier this week and send them pictures of my drive and ask them if it's legit.

I wonder what Maxtor would do about illegitimate drives... :)

Maybe they'd send you some real ones, and go bust the chops of the offending company.

Also, my single drive hasn't shipped yet. They've sent shipping info to fedex, but fedex hasn't gotten it yet. I order 16 days ago.

I'm thinking about a BBB complaint if it isn't here pronto.

The first guy hung up on me. The second time I got a girl that seemed to care about my problem, and she promised it would ship out the very next morning. Apparently they sent the info to fedex, just not the package. :mad:

woohoo! mine came in today without any sort of indication from the fedex tracking number. Seems like an authentic label too.

For those who got the home-made labels I would do a couple things.

1. document the sticker/label. take pics, etc
2. contact Maxtor immediately and let them know
3. follow instructions given to you by Maxtor.
4. make a report to the BBB
5. maybe contact the company, depending what Maxtor says.

those labels are nothing I have ever seen from a legit hard drive. I'm sure Maxtor would be quite interested to know about it.

I had a new development...etech4sale credited my credit card an extra $108 for the drive that I returned to them. They never charged me for the drive to begin with and then credited me price of the drive. I guess I don't mind too much ;). Let's see how long it takes them to figure that one out.

kirbyrj said:
I had a new development...etech4sale credited my credit card an extra $108 for the drive that I returned to them. They never charged me for the drive to begin with and then credited me price of the drive. I guess I don't mind too much ;). Let's see how long it takes them to figure that one out.

Well, while I doubt they're monitoring this thread... I might keep quiet about it ;)

Etech4Sale sucks. They sell shit and then still try to sell you more shit. Screw these people.

Meant to put my 2 cents here quite some time ago.

I contacted Maxtor about the funny labels and they said I was SOL and the warranty was covered by etech4sale. I mailed etech4sale about it and they confirmed that all warranty on the drive was through them. The funny labels are because they are OEM drives which were purchased bulk, but they're not invalid drives. I've had mine in my system since I received it and I haven't had a lick of problems. To each his own; I'm a satisfied customer who knows where to go to get his warranty honored. :p

Back