Esxi 5.5

dlp

n00b
Hello, had an issue come up and was wondering if anybody could help....

I had esxi 5.5 installed with a vm machine that I was using for local web development on an older Dell PowerEdge 2900 server and the power supply went bad....the 2900 uses hot-swappable redundant power supplies which I do not have an extra one.

Thought I would just try to remove the HD and use it in another machine.....esxi boots up and I can access using vSphere, but the vm says " Unknown Inaccessible" the datastore is no longer present.

Is there a way to recover that vm by using another machine?

Thanks!

I do not believe so. you must start over. Word of advice: with servers keep spare parts on hand.

do you see the datastore within VmWare? you may need to try and add the datastore again.

can you ssh into the box (may need to start the services) and show us the output of the wmfs directory?

do you see the datastore within VmWare? you may need to try and add the datastore again.

can you ssh into the box (may need to start the services) and show us the output of the wmfs directory?

No, after logging into the vSphere client... The VM is greyed out & says unknown inaccessible. The datastore is no longer present.

Yes, I can ssh into the box.

Last edited:
Was the drive in a raid? if it was the raid may not be able to be restored. Did you back up the files from the VM?

you try and inport the data store?

go to storage and click add. follow the prompts and let us know the results

also if you want help please do and provide all the info we are looking for

The HD wasn't in a RAID. Just a single HD attached to the server. I didn't backup the VM....I know, stupid! When I go to storage and click add storage.....the HD is listed. On the next screen I'm presented with a couple of options...

1. Keep the existing signature (Mount the VMFS volume without changing the signature.
2. Assign a new signature (Retain the existing data and mount the VMFS volume present on the disk.

What option should I choose? I appreciate everyone's help with this!

The HD wasn't in a RAID. Just a single HD attached to the server. I didn't backup the VM....I know, stupid! When I go to storage and click add storage.....the HD is listed. On the next screen I'm presented with a couple of options...

1. Keep the existing signature (Mount the VMFS volume without changing the signature.
2. Assign a new signature (Retain the existing data and mount the VMFS volume present on the disk.

What option should I choose? I appreciate everyone's help with this!

keep. and click next

Reactions: dlp
like this
Back